Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The manual says to Always apply the Parking Brake!

My car is set: Settings/ Auto Park Brake/ ON

Manual further says:
"Auto Park Brake": if the vehicle speed is below 1.9 mph (3 km/h), the electric park brake will automatically engage when the gear selector is in PARK (P) position. The light on the switch located on the center console switches on together with the BRAKE warning light on the instrument panel when the park brake is engaged and applied to the wheels. Each automatic park brake engagement can be cancelled by pressing the switch on the center console and at the same time moving the gear selector for the transmission to position PARK (P).

and....
"Drive Away Release" — if equipped: the electric park brake will automatically disengage with the driver side seat belt fastened and the detection of an action performed by the driver to move the vehicle (forward gear or reverse gear).

However, sometimes the park brake does not release when shifting from Park to D or R and I have to manually press the Park Brake button to release it? Why does it do that?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mine always releases like it did on all previous cars with e-brake..it will not release just because you shifted from P to D.....you have to give it some gas so that some torque is applied, very similar as in hill hold

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine always releases like it did on all previous cars with e-brake..it will not release just because you shifted from P to D.....you have to give it some gas so that some torque is applied, very similar as in hill hold
Lowflyer, that is a very good explanation. I admit, sometimes I just feather the throttle to see that the gear is engaged. This happens to my wife more than me, so she may not be giving it any throttle. Do you want to talk to her :smile2:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I checked the owners manual and found only one reference to an automatic release of the parking brake:

"Drive Away Release" — if equipped: the electric park brake will automatically disengage with the driver side seat belt fastened and the detection of an action performed by the driver to move the vehicle (forward gear or reverse gear)

Since I have auto engage set, my parking brake is always on start-up. Moving the selector into gear does NOT release my parking brake, which suggests we do not have "Drive Away Release" (on base Giulia's, at least). This leads me to these warnings:

"Note: Driving the vehicle with the electric parking brake engaged, or using it several times to slow down the vehicle, may cause severe damage to the braking system."

"Be sure the park brake is fully disengaged before driving; failure to do so can lead to brake failure and a collision."

Finally, this video shows no indication that "Drive Away Release" is active on the Giulia:

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
That might be the difference, I have not yet parked it on an incline...
I am just saying my ebrake operates pretty much exactly as on any previous car with ebrake I owned, I would almost bet they are all sourced from same manufacturer

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Well, I guess I'll try to drive over the park brake next time, see it if releases.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have the auto setting enabled where the brake turns on when I put the transmission in P.
I let the Giulia pull pretty hard against the parking brake but it didn't 'auto' release. Once it's off the Giulia still definitely does incline hold which is nice but it doesn't work for me to just put the car in D and drive off.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Interestingly enough, my releases. Question, Alan...when you say it pulls but doesn't release, is that when you have restarted or after you have set it?

I'm starting to suspect that after a restart, you can override the e-brake with a little gas and it switches off, but if you don't have a start cycle it won't release.

·
Registered
787 Posts
If you turn off engine in gear the car will go into park and engage the park brake. I start the car and put it in gear and drive off, and park turn off engine and leave car.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Interestingly enough, my releases. Question, Alan...when you say it pulls but doesn't release, is that when you have restarted or after you have set it?

I'm starting to suspect that after a restart, you can override the e-brake with a little gas and it switches off, but if you don't have a start cycle it won't release.
My previous was get in, started the car, the light on the parking brake was lit, put it in D, parking brake light was still lit and tried to drive away. It rocked forward and compressed the suspension a little but didn't release.

I'll try again and let you know.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Same result - I can't find a combination of settings that allow me to just put it in D and drive off. The dealer emailed me to say that my Giulia is eligible for a ECU and transmission flash update. Perhaps that's it, but even if its not its not something I think I will really miss. Its now habit to turn the park brake off, turn the auto engine shutdown off - ready to go.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Ok, I fiddled a bit more and found:

Started the car from an hour shutdown, did NOT use seat belt, into reverse, and throttle cannot override/release parking brake (without insane accelerator application, I didn't try that), brake remains on. Put on seatbelt, a little throttle and the parking brake releases.

Then, started the car, move it a couple of feet, put it in park, then back in reverse, parking brake (which had auto applied) released automatically.

Then backed up, parked, undid seatbelt, into drive, brake will not auto-release!

General conclusion:

1) Giulia has auto-release of electronic park brake.

2) Failure to have the seatbelt buckle locked into the seatbelt latch inhibits auto-release of the park brake and mandates manual release.

Seems pretty smart to use the auto park brake function. Other observations appreciated.

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
658 Posts
2) Failure to have the seatbelt buckle locked into the seatbelt latch inhibits auto-release of the park brake and mandates manual release.
Yes it does and I feel stupid for not working that one out on my own. A bit of a lurch when you start that way but another feature it's nice to know about. Thanks AlfaCrisis

1 - 16 of 16 Posts