Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a fan of auto lights feature (it can not be switched off) on Giulia.

Because it is darker in garage light always come on when I start the car and they also come on u der every **** underpass no matter how short.

I tried to adjust sensitivity of the system but it appears that neither of the 3 sensitivity settings in menu make any difference.....

Any experience with that? What is actually the least sensitive setting, 1 or 3? RTFed the manual of course but found no meaningful help in there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion that might reduce this disco light show

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would say you can simply switch it to manual......
It also explains the sensitivity setting
Thats the thing, there is no way to switch it to manual (you can only switch off auto high beam feature) and sensitivity settings make practically no difference among them, lights come on in garage facing out even when it is brightest day outside and practically immediatelly after entering shadow of underpasses

·
Registered
232 Posts
That just lets you turn it off after it's already turned on...
here is what manual says

Automatic Headlights
This system automatically turns the
headlights on or off according to
ambient light levels.
Function Activation
From the O (OFF) position, turn the light
switch to the (AUTO) position
Note: The function can only be
activated with the ignition position
cycled to ON.
Function Deactivation
To deactivate the function, turn the light
switch to a position other than the
(AUTO) position.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That just lets you turn it off after it's already turned on...
here is what manual says

Automatic Headlights
This system automatically turns the
headlights on or off according to
ambient light levels.
Function Activation
From the O (OFF) position, turn the light
switch to the (AUTO) position
Note: The function can only be
activated with the ignition position
cycled to ON.
Function Deactivation
To deactivate the function, turn the light
switch to a position other than the
(AUTO) position.
Maybe you are not in US? On US Giulias you can not put the switch into 0 position because it has no click, you can only push it there but it returns immediatelly to auto

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Start vehicle then...

Step 1: Turn off automatic stop/start.

Step 2: Turn headlight switch clockwise to disable automatic lights.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Start vehicle then...

Step 1: Turn off automatic stop/start.

Step 2: Turn headlight switch clockwise to disable automatic lights.
So, you are saying that your car has the switch that stays at 0? Or are you just turning the switch clockwise to turn on position lights to turn off headlights that were already on? :)

Fark it, disco it is... :)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,757 Posts
Confirming spring-loaded off position on my light switch. Never noticed it since I just left my lights set to auto.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
On my car (UK spec) 0 is not spring loaded. Lights can be left in 0 indefinitely.
I wonder whether that's a legal requirement for UK-market cars.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I can confirm what the OP is reporting. US Spec Giulia Ti. Some points based on my observation below:

Headlamp dial rests at the automatic position, counter-clockwise turn after released will come to rest back at the automatic position, like the dial is spring loaded.

Headlamps automatically turn on *very quickly*. For example passing under a 4 lane highway overpass at 75mph is enough to trigger the headlamps, even though you're out from underneath the overpass and back into the bright sunshine when they do turn on. I've adjusted sensitivity as the OP stated with the same (lack) of any apparent difference.

At night, with the dial in the automatic position and lamps on (system activated due to low light) you can rotate the dial CCW and hold for approx 2 seconds, system and lamps will shut off and remain off unless vehicle is fully turned off / re-started.

I do not know if rotating the dial CCW to the manual off position and holding it there shortly after starting the car (like a pre-flight checklist, similar to turning off engine auto stop/start) will disable the system for the duration of that drive (until the car is fully turned off / re-started).

And finally, even if the point above worked, there is no obvious or apparent way to change a setting which defaults to the manual mode. Just like the engine auto stop/start feature.

None of this is the end of the world. Completely a minor inconvenience on an otherwise close to perfect drivers car!

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It basically is a minor thing...the only thing that bothers me is that HID lights have limited number of firings......this feature just shortens theoretical lifespan of bulbs by quite a factor....that and people think I am flashing them lol

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Giulia driver to police officer: "My car's lights come one whether I want them to or not. I promise I was not flashing oncoming traffic to alert them to your presence."

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
526 Posts
I tried to adjust sensitivity of the system but it appears that neither of the 3 sensitivity settings in menu make any difference.....

Any experience with that? What is actually the least sensitive setting, 1 or 3? RTFed the manual of course but found no meaningful help in there.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion that might reduce this disco light show
Lowflyer, Did you ever figure out the sensitivity settings, 1-3? I'm trying but no answer yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Confirming spring-loaded off position on my light switch. Never noticed it since I just left my lights set to auto.
was messing with the headlights switch the other day and noticed if you long hold the knob to the 0 position it turns off the lights entirely. not sure if they remain off or not though, might be something to look into further

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They turn back on immediatelly after you start moving, auto is engaged immediatelly after the switch returns to default position but it you are not moving they remain off

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.