Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've not had my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport AWD very long and I'm sure I've just overlooked a setting somewhere... I'm really frustrated with my instrument lighting. The instrument center cluster and the infotainment screen are very dim, almost impossible to see during the day. I'm use to having a car that automatically dims at night and brightens during the day.. I can manually adjust the brightness, but that is pretty annoying. If I manually brighten the panel lights during the day, then I have to really turn them down at night. Any thoughts as to why my Alfa is being so difficult (other than the fact it is an Alfa). Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Instrument panel dimming is often tied to headlight auto on-off. Are your headlights on (not DRL) during the day?

Perhaps there is an issue with your headlight auto-on sensor?

I am not having any problem with the daytime brightness of my instrument panel. I drive a lot at night and have the panel dimmed way down for that purpose.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The dim/bright switch works for me as I don't like the auto dim feature, never just right. The round shaped switch is not so good, not a gradual increase and decrease but in steps. I live with it now, no problem. My complaint is that the dash lights and the info screen lights should be on a separate switch. At night of course I dim the dash lights to improve the visibility of the road and also dash to road and back quick eye vision adjustment. Too many folks drive at night with the dash lights way too bright. However, when in the dim setting the info screen light is way to dim. I would like to have it brighter so I can quickly glance at the screen which doesn't affect my forward road visibility.

BTW., the night auto dim feature on the drivers rear view mirror is not that effective as it does not dim enough for me. Too many still overly bright lights in my mirror.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've not had my 2018 Giulia Ti Sport AWD very long and I'm sure I've just overlooked a setting somewhere... I'm really frustrated with my instrument lighting. The instrument center cluster and the infotainment screen are very dim, almost impossible to see during the day. I'm use to having a car that automatically dims at night and brightens during the day.. I can manually adjust the brightness, but that is pretty annoying. If I manually brighten the panel lights during the day, then I have to really turn them down at night. Any thoughts as to why my Alfa is being so difficult (other than the fact it is an Alfa). Thanks!
You are not alone, others have complained about this too. I find it mildly annoying to have to keep adjusting the brightness. Even my phone adjusts its brightness depending on ambient light. I suspect Alfa simply overlooked it. There are light sensors in the car, I hope a fix will be in a future software update.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
BTW., the night auto dim feature on the drivers rear view mirror is not that effective as it does not dim enough for me. Too many still overly bright lights in my mirror.
Am I the only one who misses the old-fashioned manual day/night mirror? It was less bulky than today's auto-dim mirrors and more effective dealing with bright lights.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Am I the only one who misses the old-fashioned manual day/night mirror? It was less bulky than today's auto-dim mirrors and more effective dealing with bright lights.
I hated those, as they were always too dim for me, and gave ghost immages (double outlines). I love the auto mirror(s), also the fact it also controls the outside mirrors ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
If there is any auto-dimming of instrument lights, it’s unnoticeable to me. I manually run the dimmer switch all the way up in the morning, and all he way down at night. To me, it’s just another step of the start process (including disabling the auto stop/start, the park sensors, and the parking brake [understanding that the parking brake will disengage on its own - I prefer a smoother transition]). Just another nuance of the Giulia.

Reactions: Tony Bonanno
1 - 7 of 7 Posts