Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went in for an oil change at 10K and was told my VIN number had flagged a 6148 update needs to be performed

i couldnt wait around for it, i needed the car back, and they had no idea what it actually did, and had never performed one so couldnt even tell me how long it took

has anybody in Aus had this done ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hi Papa Gallo,

Had it done with an oil change and had a few things that needed attention one was the bonnet release and two the left hand rear light kept turning off after the boot lid was shut prompting warning lamps going off!
It's an update to the software, one thing I noticed that the forward collision warning prior to the update used to come on in certain circumstances (like it was hypersensitive) and now it's quieter and I was told that the left hand rear light assembly was prone to water leakage and that was addressed under the campaign. Job took about 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Had it all done today, i had to take it in for a coolant leak caused by the pre January 2017 release cars needing an O ring replaced but all good now ... oil temp only goes to 4 notches now (as reported in US spec cars in other threads that used to climb to 5 notches)

Heat under the bonnet isnt as intense now and i need to warn you guys who may have a pre January 2017 car that the O ring that seals the turbo intercooler return line can and will leak !!! ... check your coolant levels in the secondary reservoir (the one closest to the passenger side headlight, in Aus RHD drive cars )

you wont get any sort of instrument cluster warning as it leaks its way to empty ( my coolant was right to the bottom of the secondary reservoir when i discovered the problem and no warning, no oil temp going red (obviously as the oil temp is fine as its cooled by the primary reservoir) so there is no real warning other than steam coming from under the bonnet one day (potentially) ... check, check, check !!!

ok there are a few items listed only by alphabetic codes so cant really tell what was actually done in detail but basically it involved the O ring (for my car) , the water ingress fix on the taillight, as mentioned by Ponch, glovebox lid replaced, and i can now voice activate navigator destinations, which is really handy

no change in throttle response at all (as reported in the UK) and i cant really tell any real change, drives like a Giulia ;-)

btw, a lot of the updates the UK RHD had with their "Service Pack 1.0" added features and functions that we already had in Aus cars, so there wont really be any noticeable differences other than navigator is a bit more efficient now

and that was 6148

·
Registered
244 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Papa Gallo once I read this, I checked coolant levels and seem fine since mine is a pre-Jan 2017 build.

Interesting that you mentioned that the oil temp stayed at 4 notches while mine sits at 5, not sure about the glove box the jury is out there with my dealer me thinks! Maybe the oil temp thing is model specific might have a closer read on the threads here but since mine has the 147kw engine might be specific to that??

We had a few hot days here in Melbourne town and temp stayed steady, I had British cars and a Alfa 75 previously so an eye on the temp gauge is second nature!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Papa Gallo,

I sent the car back on the temp issue and they said all is normal and within spec yadda yadda yadda.

I pushed the point and the service manager got a bit defensive and it could be problems with a head gasket etc etc. Which I asked if they checked it then! Thinking of moving to another dealer to see if they have completed the 6148 as they should. That's the problem with multi branded dealers I reckon they just go through the book of known issues.

Have you heard of anyone else having the temp gauge issues and had it resolved?

I reckon it's a revision problem with the sensor interpreting values to the new software....oh god no! It's 90% of my day talking this stuff!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are you going to Leichardt ? take it to Artarmon mate, ask them if you can have it scanned properly

a lot of people were asking if 5 bars was normal and as far as we knew then it was, but havent heard of anyone else doing the software updates as not many have had their first service yet

another feature of 6148 is there is no longer an option to switch the DRLs on/off ... if you can switch DRLs on/off via the infotainment menus under "lights" then you dont have 6148 installed properly,

·
Registered
169 Posts
a lot of people were asking if 5 bars was normal and as far as we knew then it was, but havent heard of anyone else doing the software updates as not many have had their first service yet
Hey Papa / Ponch, when you guys say 4 or 5 bars, does it count the first one at the bottom? Mine stays right at the middle of the temp gauge - so its 4 notches, or 5 notches if you count the below horizontal line. Its been pretty much stable in the middle even after a hard drive. Is that the same with you guys?

On a side note, after 3K kms, i've started to burn some engine oil and my level has dropped. Any recommendations on top up (stuff that you can get off the shelf here) - or should I stick with the factory fill Selenia?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
juz, i have a couple of pics of my dashboard where you can see exactly what 5 bars means and what 4 bars is

first 2 pics are 5 bars and would warm up to 5 bars, sometimes stop at 4 bars during very cold weather, pre- S/W updates
third pic is how it is now no matter how hot or cold it is, it warms up to 4 bars and never goes above that, after the S/W update

not counting the first bar no,

4 bars is exactly at halfway and how it should be now, even though they tried to tell us 5 bars "was normal" it would run the engine too warm and could affect other components, now my start-up rev is 1450rpm where it was 1100ish before

what are your start up rev figures ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
On a side note, after 3K kms, i've started to burn some engine oil and my level has dropped. Any recommendations on top up (stuff that you can get off the shelf here) - or should I stick with the factory fill Selenia?
yes mine burned a few notches in the first 15,000 klms (about 3 notches in total overall)

get a oil and filter change at the stealership, let them top up under warranty if you just want a top up

i changed every 7000 klms

stick with factory fill at all times, i would say

·
Registered
169 Posts
4 bars is exactly at halfway and how it should be now, even though they tried to tell us 5 bars "was normal" it would run the engine too warm and could affect other components, now my start-up rev is 1450rpm where it was 1100ish before

what are your start up rev figures ?
That first pic, gold! Thanks for that, yup mine is at 4 notches too, smack in the middle. I thought this was normal as with older alfa's, the Acqua dial would always be at the mid mark, which was usually 90DegC. Eyes always on that dial lol.

My startup is at around 1450rpm as well, and then when the engine gets to temp, it idles at 900rpm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
yes mine burned a few notches in the first 15,000 klms (about 3 notches in total overall)

get a oil and filter change at the stealership, let them top up under warranty if you just want a top up

i changed every 7000 klms

stick with factory fill at all times, i would say
Got it, yeah will drop by them for a top up. 7000kms eh......yeah I'm thinking I would like to do one earlier than the first 15000 / 12 months.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That first pic, gold! Thanks for that, yup mine is at 4 notches too, smack in the middle. I thought this was normal as with older alfa's, the Acqua dial would always be at the mid mark, which was usually 90DegC. Eyes always on that dial lol.

My startup is at around 1450rpm as well, and then when the engine gets to temp, it idles at 900rpm.
thanks mate
1450? yes looks like its meant to be then
it used to start up at 1100, looks like its trying to keep the engine cool by burning more fuel (my consumption has gone up a notch as well)

i dont mind, if it means the engine is being cooled properly now, then its a given

cheers, enjoy ;-)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Hey Papa,

My revs are about 1450 at start up and 900 at idle when warm.
Love the 1st pic perspective might help those in the Northern Hemisphere!

I can't activate the RDS via the infotainment so 6148 has been done.
Maybe they didn't install all the packages as the voice activated nav doesn't work.

Unfortunately/fortunately I live in Melbourne so might move to another dealer, I got it from Nunawading Jeep.
There is one in Chadstone but they just do Fiats, I might ask them to do a scan if they have the facility to do so.

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Well well well.

Not sure if you saw a post about the infotainment restarting but it turned out that the campaign 6148 was NOT completed and was redone today. 7 items were missed by the service department.

It all started when the car was serviced 15k and it wasn't topped up fully along with the system restarting etc? Started the thread and booked it in twice for the restart and usb shuffle.
At one stage I was told that there is a procedure before they change the control unit as they are worth about $6k. If it's faulty then not a question of price and not even a receipt with what they tested to prove that the unit is working as it should. That was after we agreed the issue was software and they had the car for a day with nothing done and handed back to me.

Glad the sales manager got involved after a terse email, a call was made to FCA and all the issues and recalls outstanding were identified and rectified, the car is now up to date.

I did note the car is more responsive but not sure if it's just me but she runs better!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Well well well.

Not sure if you saw a post about the infotainment restarting but it turned out that the campaign 6148 was NOT completed and was redone today. 7 items were missed by the service department.

It all started when the car was serviced 15k and it wasn't topped up fully along with the system restarting etc? Started the thread and booked it in twice for the restart and usb shuffle.

At one stage I was told that there is a procedure before they change the control unit as they are worth about $6k. If it's faulty then not a question of price and not even a receipt with what they tested to prove that the unit is working as it should. That was after we agreed the issue was software and they had the car for a day with nothing done and handed back to me.

Glad the sales manager got involved after a terse email, a call was made to FCA and all the issues and recalls outstanding were identified and rectified, the car is now up to date.

I did note the car is more responsive but not sure if it's just me but she runs better!

Where do you get her serviced mate?

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 667 Posts