Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a funny issue that has since fixed itself but thought I'd describe it anyway to see if anyone has a theory or explanation.

The audio volume wasn't increasing in actual volume for anything higher than roughly half way into the volume bar. I.e. the audio would increase in volume up to around 17 but then would sound exactly the same at 20, 25 and max volume at around 34 from memory. This was true for both radio and media.

I had been driving the car in some very wet weather and thought it may be water related and may fix itself with time. Restoring the audio settings and turning off and on the system and the car did nothing to fix it. 24 hours rest however did.

In days previous I was listening to some very weak signal AM radio also that required me to have it at close to or max level volume just to hear. Am also wondering if there was some kind of technical quirk related to memory, I really don't know what I'm talking about but hopefully someone does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
On page 5 of the 2017 Giulia Radio manual

"In case of overheating (e.g. excessive
outside temperature, prolonged
exposure to sunlight, etc.), the system
may switch to "protection mode" by
limiting amplification (maximum volume)
and shutting down until the temperature
of the radio drops to acceptable levels."

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,473 Posts
Maybe your Giulia doesn't appreciate your taste in music? >:)

Reactions: Il_Conte

·
Registered
869 Posts
I had that issue once too. Mine had to do, I think, with the parking sensors going nuts in a very bust parking lot. It was like the system was stuck at that "half volume" is drops to when it wants to beep. 24 hours fixed mine too.

·
Registered
630 Posts
What audio source were you listening to? Because if you were streaming audio from a mobile phone then that device also has its own volume control. And then there is the AUX Volume Offset control which is meant to compensate for differing output voltages from auxiliary audio sources.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On page 5 of the 2017 Giulia Radio manual

"In case of overheating (e.g. excessive
outside temperature, prolonged
exposure to sunlight, etc.), the system
may switch to "protection mode" by
limiting amplification (maximum volume)
and shutting down until the temperature
of the radio drops to acceptable levels."
Thanks, yep would have been in that mode! I think the car was sitting out in sun for the morning and may have been pretty hot. I'll definitely be aware for the future now.

Maybe your Giulia doesn't appreciate your taste in music? >
Nah she loves it, just needed a break from the intensity and realness. Think it was mostly talk back radio at the time haha.

I had that issue once too. Mine had to do, I think, with the parking sensors going nuts in a very bust parking lot. It was like the system was stuck at that "half volume" is drops to when it wants to beep. 24 hours fixed mine too.
True, good to hear.

What audio source were you listening to? Because if you were streaming audio from a mobile phone then that device also has its own volume control. And then there is the AUX Volume Offset control which is meant to compensate for differing output voltages from auxiliary audio sources.
Was just radio and USB media. I did notice those settings having a dig ta :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I also think it's the parking sensor. But I can't replicate the issue. Happened to me yesterday on Sirius XM. Restarted car at a red light and all was normal.

I'd worry if it happened a lot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts