Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my QV about a week ago from the Collection in Miami and during the process I asked the sales guy if I could see where my car would be serviced. He said "sure, and I'll introduce you to the guy who will do the work". He took me up to the service level and introduced me to Dave. Dave was great, we talked about the car and he told me about his introduction to the new Giulias in New Orleans. He showed me some pictures of an opened up QV engine that he had taken. He was nice enough to forward them to me, and now I want you all to enjoy them.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,748 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Did Dave happen to mention why that engine had been disassembled?

Regarding your handle, are you a member of an organization similar to this one?

Enjoy your QV!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad you liked them!
The motor was apart to let the techs and mechanics that would be working on them learn the internals. No problem with the motor, just a prop.
Haha, no, no affiliation, just have an open mind!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Thanks for posting the pictures!

Couple quick observations.. chains at the rear of the motor... let's hope the plastic guides last longer than the Audi motors.

Look at those hydraulic cam chain tensioners. They must be 8" long. Actuators (oil pressure fed) buried in the rear of the motor totally encapsulated by the engine covers and sandwiched by the trans. Good reason to follow oil specs and oil change intervals closely. Any chain guide or tensioner issues are mega bux repairs.

The intake cams have a wound spring surrounding the cam gear bolt which, in some way, also works to maintain cam chain tension. Odd. Never saw that before.

The block of aluminum that is bolted to the crank pulley bolt location and timing cover sidepost is probably a crank-lock tool to release the cam chains.

Valve covers are structural and hold the cams in place. The upper cam journals are built into the valve covers

Look at the upper oil pan in the upside down motor photo. The upper oil pan acts as a block girdle with 16 (!!) studs which are probably an extension of the block main bearing caps.

What else looks intriguing?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
well Eric has a sharper eye than I.
the whole geardrive assembly etc is wonderful, but as Eric mentioned it's at the back. So although the chains should last a long time those plastic bits are a concern, because the engine is coming out to replace any of it.

I do believe it looks better without the plastic cover though, and it is quite lovely in it's complexity. some steel braiding would help, and (perhaps unnecessary) finning on the oil pan ..
are those reed valves down there? pressure under piston on down stroke opening to allow to drain back into pan? I can't remember if it has oil spraying the underside of the pistons for cooling.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Sweet! So that's a proper pan pickup and a not more of a dry sump with tank. I knew this but wasn't so sure given the range info on the computer system.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
EricVH does have a sharp eye!
A few of my observations:
Crank lock tool probably keeps the crank at TDC on #1 cylinder.
Crankshaft main bearing girdle is fabulous. 16 studs= 4 bolt mains. BigBlock V8 style.
Clock springs on the intake cams might be for the variable cam timing actuation??
Engine stand attaches at the front of the engine. This makes sense as the timing chains are located at the rear of the engine, although, one
usually sees "factory" engine stands that connect at the motor mount locations (for various important structural reasons).
Rearmost camshaft journals look to be almost twice the diameter of the other four. Good idea.
Hydraulic lash adjusters with roller style finger followers. No manual adjustment required.
Interesting looking mag wheels on the lift mule. Are they available in the US?
Finally, I will second Eric's comments about the cam chain (long) plastic guides and tensioners and engine oil quality. Change the engine oil often! Use only the factory approved Fiat 9.55535-Z2 or Chrysler MS-12991 engine oil! Observe proper warm-up and cool-down common sense before and after chasing that rev limiter! Make all the appropriate sacrifices to the Car-Gods and pray that you never have to pay the bill to service the timing chain mechanism!
Next, let's see the naked 4 cylinder pics and ogle her internals. Twin counter rotating balance shafts, multiair valve control, mmm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great observations EricVonHa and AlfaAndy, I am looking at the engine in a whole new way now. Funny how they would have wear parts at the rear of the engine, I guess they have long life if properly oiled.

I too would like to see a clear shot of the turbos. Best I can tell, they live under the "V" near the exhaust manifolds. Speaking of turbos, does anyone know the max boost pressure?

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm certainly no expert but in the photo's it looks like a 120° V angle.
It is 90 degrees if you’re looking at the right area.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
90 degree
Crossplane crank
Oversquare

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don’t think a 90° v6 needs or can even use a flat plane crank like a 90° v8 does without shaking itself to pieces with no balance shafts. I think also it wouldn’t work very with the fuel saving bank deactivation that effectively turns the motor into a 3 cylinder. I could be wrong though.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.