Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So yesterday, while refueling my Quadrifoglio, I noticed two individuals standing around the gas pumps. I figured they were asking for change, but I kept my eye on them either way. Not that i'm a bigot or racist, it is just my military/police training to be suspicious or aware of my surroundings. Anyways, after closing the fuel door I turned my back to them and opened my car door, this is whe one of them ran up to me and pressed a stun gun against my lower back (left side). I felt the metal probes pierce my skin and felt a high heat along with hearing the tick, tick tick of the stun gun discharging its voltage. Here is the interesting part, due to my high tolerance for pain (trust me or call my dentist and ask about the little to no novocaine during root canals), the numerous times I have been shocked (including 115/60hz, 115/400Hz, 440/400Hz, 4.5 KV, 18 KV, 40 KV, etc), and the fact that I was holding the driver's door frame (completing the circuit with the least amount of resistance, the vehicle ground), the stun gun had no affect on me. I turned and yelled "what the F#$k!" and then took a swing at the assailant as he retreated with a shocked look on his face, then he and his look out ran off. I called 911 and met with a police officer to give them all the info I could remember.

Lessons learned or relearned:
Be aware of your surroundings, trust your instincts, do not become complacent, and carry a "softball kit, " (glove, ball, and most importantly a BASEBALL BAT)!!!:grin2:

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
Woah, I'm glad you are safe and with the quad next to you! Many of us would have not been so lucky compare to you given your background. Well done!

P.S I secretly wish you kicked their ass just because.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Woah!! Great job! Yes being aware of your surroundings is the key as is giving eye contact so they know you’re not an easy mark and they move on to someone who is.
I can only add that I would have said “that’s all you got biotch”

·
Registered
17 Posts
That's Bad Ass.

From this moment on, you are officially Captain Bad Ass.

Stun gun has no effect on you... that's f*cking great.

Glad you're safe man!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Reactions: tmireles333

·
Registered
647 Posts
Great job tmireles333! I am also former military police (Vietnam 69). I too also am always alert about my surroundings. The only thing extra I do is carry a friend of mine, named TinyTim442 on my hip. That would have been the last time he tried his stun gun on anyone. :mad:

Stay Alert,
Chuck

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Woah, I'm glad you are safe and with the quad next to you! Many of us would have not been so lucky compare to you given your background. Well done!

P.S I secretly wish you kicked their ass just because.
Thanks! Me too, but the shock & adrenaline got the better of me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great job tmireles333! I am also former military police (Vietnam 69). I too also am always alert about my surroundings. The only thing extra I do is carry a friend of mine, named TinyTim442 on my hip. That would have been the last time he tried his stun gun on anyone. :mad:

Stay Alert,
Chuck
I live in CA, so bringing along my buddy Sig (P229 Elite .40) is complicated, although had I been "going/returning from the range" might have cleared me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
647 Posts
tmireles333, I'm curious, where was the key fob? I'm presuming the engine was off? Even if you had the key fob in the car like on the seat they might have not been able to figure out how to start the engine? I always have the key fob in my pocket (hardly ever sets off the alarm) or on a neck strap and inside my shirt. I presume even if the stun gun had worked on you they would have thrown you to the ground and tried to start the car. This of course is a terrible and violent act, but in a ironic light might have been rather a brainless reflection on these stupid guys if they couldn't figure out how to start the Giulua.

Again, glad you are OK. I only mention my Tiny Tim as I'm a 50 year serious heart patient and a stun gun could very possibly have sent me into a life threatening arrhythmia. I've already gone into V-Tach and am in long term permanent a-fib. I would have every right to use Tim to protect my life. These guys must be very brazen to try such a stupid stunt!

:smile2:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
These guys deserve street justice. Glad you're okay.

Reactions: mtb.ck and Alfa 1

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Glad you're OK bud and they didn't get crap! I'm pretty sure they've got everything on camera.. ask them for copies when they get them :D Might go viral!

I've seen people hanging in the hope that you turn your back and they grab the crap out of your car but that's a new level! Feel like it's the second QV incident in CA this week

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Wow, crazy stuff. Those people are the scum of the earth. I think it's pretty disgusting how you clearly know your way around a firearm and you can't even carry it in CA, and you're left in a situation where you need it but don't have it. Definitely the opposite of how it should be.

Glad you are ok, I think I would be more shaken up from something like this

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think it's pretty disgusting how you clearly know your way around a firearm and you can't even carry it in CA, and you're left in a situation where you need it but don't have it. Definitely the opposite of how it should be.
It's not disgusting.
It's common sense gun laws that are common in all civilized countries EXCEPT part of the US. I could have been in that gas station and I do not want any random dude to take out his gun and start shooting--even if somebody tried to steal his car.

This is very much as it should be.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Woah glad you are OK and the fools bungled their crime. Good to know the car will ground you. As far as firearm laws and confrontations at gas stations go, the OP was assaulted and battered (by contact) with a dangerous weapon. Any bystander better think twice if they try to put themselves before the true victim when a crime like that takes place. Anyone with good firearms training will hit what they shoot at, not spray and pray like so many gang bangers. Did the crook have a permit for the stun gun? And it sure as heck wasn't self defense. I really hope the gas station has surveillance footage and you can see them on it. This rots and I think it's poetic justice that the had an epic failure. It's good they ran because what some of these crooks don't realize is, many law abiding citizens are plenty pissed off themselves and giving someone an excuse to pound your @$$ is not smart at all. I have to think of my shifu from Shaolin at times like this and keep my cool, stay on the path. ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
So yesterday, while refueling my Quadrifoglio, I noticed two individuals standing around the gas pumps. I figured they were asking for change, but I kept my eye on them either way. Not that i'm a bigot or racist, it is just my military/police training to be suspicious or aware of my surroundings. Anyways, after closing the fuel door I turned my back to them and opened my car door, this is whe one of them ran up to me and pressed a stun gun against my lower back (left side). I felt the metal probes pierce my skin and felt a high heat along with hearing the tick, tick tick of the stun gun discharging its voltage. Here is the interesting part, due to my high tolerance for pain (trust me or call my dentist and ask about the little to no novocaine during root canals), the numerous times I have been shocked (including 115/60hz, 115/400Hz, 440/400Hz, 4.5 KV, 18 KV, 40 KV, etc), and the fact that I was holding the driver's door frame (completing the circuit with the least amount of resistance, the vehicle ground), the stun gun had no affect on me. I turned and yelled "what the F#$k!" and then took a swing at the assailant as he retreated with a shocked look on his face, then he and his look out ran off. I called 911 and met with a police officer to give them all the info I could remember.

Lessons learned or relearned:
Be aware of your surroundings, trust your instincts, do not become complacent, and carry a "softball kit, " (glove, ball, and most importantly a BASEBALL BAT)!!!:grin2:
I would have shat myself and laid on the floor in the fetal position...

This does not seem to be an issue in my state but, my state does have a high gun ownership so. That's usually a deterrent by most, knowing that fact.. however I will say on my pros/cons list, that is one of items I listed as a con to buying the QV. It wasn't a big one but enough of a matter to jot down while waiting in the little room at the docs office one day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts