Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Service manager said if there is a muffler delete and there is a powertrain issue. They will for sure deny a warranty claim :-(

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,255 Posts
At least they're being honest about how you'll get treated.

I cant tell you how many dealerships will bs their clients telling them theyre fine with this and that and appreciate mods and maybe even do the install for the clients only to have to deny a claim later.

Don't want warranty issues. Bring the car into the dealership with no performance changing mods on it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least they're being honest about how you'll get treated.

I cant tell you how many dealerships will bs their clients telling them theyre fine with this and that and appreciate mods and maybe even do the install for the clients only to have to deny a claim later.

Don't want warranty issues. Bring the car into the dealership with no performance changing mods on it.
I agree that at least they were honest. So I will still see about the delete as I like the sound of it. I will ask the shop, whoever it will be, to see if there is a way to make it so I can slip the muffler back on if needed.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I agree that at least they were honest. So I will still see about the delete as I like the sound of it. I will ask the shop, whoever it will be, to see if there is a way to make it so I can slip the muffler back on if needed.
I did that. I have muffler delete axleback pipes that just slip on. Ive swapped mine 4 times now trying to figure out if I like it lol.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Alfa Rosso/Tan
202 Posts
The Service manager said if there is a muffler delete and there is a powertrain issue. They will for sure deny a warranty claim :-(
Removing the cat? Sure. Muffler delete? There's pretty much no precedent to void the powertrain warranty. Sure, the dealer can provide some hand-wavy excuse regarding back-pressure etc, but the reality is the CAT is what is really key to ensuring the system is working properly. The only warranty that you SHOULD be losing is anything related to the exhaust itself, which is minimal. For instance if you delete your muffler and exhaust hangers break later down the road.

That being said, I would absolutely switch dealers if that were the case. When I spoke with my local dealer in Cincinnati, the service rep insisted that anything done on the catback would not impact my warranty at all, unless it was a failure in the aftermarket exhaust system itself. But if the catalytic converter / downpipe were changed, all bets are off.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
...Sure, the dealer can provide some hand-wavy excuse regarding back-pressure etc, but the reality is the CAT is what is really key to ensuring the system is working properly..
While i agree with the sentiments the reality is the dealer just has to show a dozen aftermaket axleback system advertisements for our car that claim to alter the performance of the car.

Then the old "nothing matters after the cats" fallacy is easily rebuked by asking "what happens if i stick a banana in the tailpipe? That would be after the cat right?".

Yeah i think it sucks but not like im going to fight a warranty denial in court

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which dealer is this?
And for the record, he has no authority to make that decision..and corporate certainly won't back him up .
Helfman Alfa Romeo of Sugar Land. I think if Alfa can deny a powertrain claim, they would even with a delete. Do I think it should be denied, hell no. Mufflers muffle the sound and how not having one that would cause a motor or transmission failure is beyond me. I don't trust their process, so I am wanting to be able to switch back and forth if I can.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
43 Posts
If this is the same dealership that quoted you $277 to replace the start button due to programming, and there are no liberties taken with how the story is being told, and this is a CPO/manufacturer warranty and not a third party one with some absurd clause, leave that dealership and never go back to it. In order to deny a manufacturer warranty claim, the burden is on Alfa / the dealership to prove that removing the muffler caused the failure. If the service manager flat out said they'd deny any powertrain warranty claim if you removed it, they're either lying or don't understand how the process works. Either way, walk away and don't look back.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
While i agree with the sentiments the reality is the dealer just has to show a dozen aftermaket axleback system advertisements for our car that claim to alter the performance of the car.

Then the old "nothing matters after the cats" fallacy is easily rebuked by asking "what happens if i stick a banana in the tailpipe? That would be after the cat right?".

Yeah i think it sucks but not like im going to fight a warranty denial in court
If you put a banana in the QV tailpipe, nothing will happen as it has quad exhausts that are all connected through the muffler and your warranty should be just fine. If you put four bananas in the tailpipe, I'm guessing you will have a four-banana smoothie on your garage wall and an intact power train warranty.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
If this is the same dealership that quoted you $277 to replace the start button due to programming, and there are no liberties taken with how the story is being told, and this is a CPO/manufacturer warranty and not a third party one with some absurd clause, leave that dealership and never go back to it. In order to deny a manufacturer warranty claim, the burden is on Alfa / the dealership to prove that removing the muffler caused the failure. If the service manager flat out said they'd deny any powertrain warranty claim if you removed it, they're either lying or don't understand how the process works. Either way, walk away and don't look back.
The factory warranty has a clause. Performance parts or alterations may cause denial.

The reality is dealerships just simply have to deny the repair. Its that easy. Takes them one second. Deny.

After that youre going to them waiving around the Magnuson act. Good luck with that.

So after that you call Alfa Romeo cares. Alfa then calls the dealership and the dealership explains performance modifications were made.

Denied.

Then you can take Alfa to court lol. Good luck with that.

So bottom line is bring your car to the dealership without performance modifications if you expect warranty service on powertrain items.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The factory warranty has a clause. Performance parts or alterations may cause denial.

The reality is dealerships just simply have to deny the repair. Its that easy. Takes them one second. Deny.

After that youre going to them waiving around the Magnuson act. Good luck with that.

So after that you call Alfa Romeo cares. Alfa then calls the dealership and the dealership explains performance modifications were made.

Denied.

So bottom line is bring your car to the dealership without performance modifications if you expect warranty service on powertrain items.
Agreed to this.

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Q4 Ti Sport, Alfa Rosso/Tan
202 Posts

Denied.

this is why you ask the dealership about it BEFORE making the modification. Not all dealerships are like this. OP should endeavor to find a different one within reasonable distance, and ask them how an exhaust mod will impact warranty. Many other dealers will be willing to honor it, especially if you have a good relationship with the service advisor and he/she knows your situation ahead of time.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts

Denied.

As a dealer employee of over 30 years, I can assure you, the only thing they care about is ECU tunes. ..and even those will not always get you flagged....but a muffler delete..yeah, not a chance in hell that one stands up to scrutiny. ..its no different than the guy who drives around for 6 months with an exhaust leak because he is too lazy to get it fixed.

not to mention they build and sell the 2.9 with a muffler bypass...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As a dealer employee of over 30 years, I can assure you, the only thing they care about is ECU tunes. ..and even those will not always get you flagged....but a muffler delete..yeah, not a chance in hell that one stands up to scrutiny. ..its no different than the guy who drives around for 6 months with an exhaust leak because he is too lazy to get it fixed.

not to mention they build and sell the 2.9 with a muffler bypass...
Mine already told me exhaust will get me denied by them. Ill believe them since theyd be the ones denying me. I could fight it but thats rolling the dice.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
43 Posts

Denied.

Coming from a background of modified Subarus, I'm quite familiar with how Magnuson Moss works. We're actually talking about two different things here.

I am saying that it is unlikely that a dealership will be able to prove that removing the muffler would result in a powertrain failure. If a service manager said they'll deny any powertrain warranty due to modified or removed mufflers, do not trust that service manager to be honest with other things.

You're saying to remove any performance modifications before attempting to get a repair under warranty. Taken in the exact same context it can't hurt, but is likely unnecessary. Removing other items like ECU tunes, modified forced induction / engine components, etc. and then claiming the car failed under stock conditions, is fraud.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Mine already told me exhaust will get me denied by them. Ill believe them since theyd be the ones denying me. I could fight it but thats rolling the dice.
Dealers cannot flag warranties...thats all up the the district manager or above..they can say whatever they want, they cant do it.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,112 Posts
this is why you ask the dealership about it BEFORE making the modification. Not all dealerships are like this. OP should endeavor to find a different one within reasonable distance, and ask them how an exhaust mod will impact warranty. Many other dealers will be willing to honor it, especially if you have a good relationship with the service advisor and he/she knows your situation ahead of time.
I disagree. All dealerships are like this when it comes time to own up to what they probably said verbally. If you can get it in writing, that can help your case if necessary.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Imo asking dealerships before is a terrible idea. Ive owned 60 cars and dealt with dozens and dozens of dealerships with friends who own or gm them. I can tell you multiple times dealerships say one thing only to have a different story when the actual car comes in with a catastropic failure.

One example is the dealership thats simply inept. They try fixing the modified car under warranty but the customer keeps getting a cel the next day after its returned. This happens a lot to alfa customers. So the dealership keeps working in it for free basically and cant figure it out. How long before they take the easy out and say "it must be the mods, we've tried everything?"

Another case is the dealership thats just talking out their ass. I brokered a deal with Audi of Lexington to start carrying APR performance parts for audis about 15 years ago. They had customers convinced that since the parts were installed by the dealership and it was a reputable audi tuning company the warranty would be fine. Guess what? Some transmissions went kaput and the customers were left on the hook for almost 10k dollar bills. Theyre no longer an APR seller there.

How about the pissed off employee scenario? I knew personally of an employee at an audi dealership that hated this customer for whatever stupid reason but he took a photo of the customers short shifter. Yes...short shifter. You can then manually enter a TD1 warranty flag in the system and literall ALL powertrain warranty repairs get denied until Audi looks at each claim. Its a nightmare.

The next one was the well meaning dealership. The guy gets told the exhaust system will have no impact on a 25k dollar 4.2l twin turbo engine. The customer popped the motor and audi sends the regional rep out to inspect. The regional rep sends photos back of the aftermarket exhaust and the claim is denied. It was completely out of the dealerships hands.

Again, you may never have issues but the only way to actually ENSURE you don't have issues is to bring the car in stock. Promises and handshakes from dealership employees mean dick when theres no 25k dollar warranty claim sitting in front of them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Dealers cannot flag warranties...thats all up the the district manager or above..they can say whatever they want, they cant do it.
Dealerships can deny warranty work all they want. And i certainly know audi dealerships can enter warranty flag codes. Why alfa dealerships cant enter warranty flag codes is mysterious but not like they need to in order to refuse repair.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts