Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alfa Romeo Club of Southern California (AROSC) will be hosting a two day track event at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca (yes, they recently changed their name) this fall, Saturday and Sunday, 20 & 21 October 2018. You can pre-registor at MotorsportReg.com.

Normally, we have four run groups.
1) Beginning Time trial mixed with HPDE, sometimes called Time Attack. This is the slowest run group for the absolute beginner with less than four/five event. (heavy passing restrictions)
2) Intermediate Time Trial. This is for anybody with some track experience who is not an expert, yet. (some passing restrictions)
3) Advanced Time Trial. This is for the faster drivers with lots of experience. (minimal passing restrictions)
4) Race Group. This for drivers with a racing license issued by our club, and, a car fully race prepped including a full 6-point SCCA cage. This is head-to-head racing. (no passing restrictions)

For this event, we will (*probably) be offering an Alfa only run group. No non-Alfas will be on the track. This is Time Trial group of mixed levels. You are not obligated to drive your Alfa in this run group. There will still be four run groups only. This will be in substitute of one of the above mentioned Time Trial groups, probably the Intermediate.

*probably, Depends on the total amount of Alfas signed up for this group. If the count is too low, we will revert back to our normal run groups.
HPDE = High Performance Driving Experience

One day tickets are available as well as two day tickets. All cars are welcome, not just Alfa Romeos. You not need be a member of AROSC or this forum.

My brother and I are signed up to share our 1973 Datsun 240z. Our other brother will be there enjoying the excellent weather. Our father will be there driving his 66 Alfa Romeo GTV.

Looking through the registration list (public at MotorsportReg), there are quite a few Alfas registered, both new and old.

I see that I'm not the only forum member signed up :grin2: @Call me Al seems to registered with his 4C. I'm looking forward to meeting Al and seeing his 4C. :smile2:

Who else will be there, driving or spectating?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hmmm.... my fave track time permitting maybe I can go. When is the deadline to sign up?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm.... my fave track time permitting maybe I can go. When is the deadline to sign up?
Generally speaking, you can simply show up to our events and register at the track that morning. But, the Laguna Seca event will be a sell out. We only allow so many cars on the track at one time (maybe 30 per run group). So, if you wait to long....

·
Registered
192 Posts
How much for the weekend? Can I sign up just for one day or do you have a package that will cover both days? This thing is getting me excited time to dust off my helmet and racing shoes. LOL!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'll be there #444 one day Saturday Oct 20, Intermediate.

Reactions: Racer Z

·
Registered
192 Posts
Opps! I just saw the pricing so I will sign up as soon as I get my schedule setup.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How much for the weekend? Can I sign up just for one day or do you have a package that will cover both days? This thing is getting me excited time to dust off my helmet and racing shoes. LOL!
Opps! I just saw the pricing so I will sign up as soon as I get my schedule setup.
Yes, one day or two day tickets are available. I think it's $300 for one day or $600 for two days. Sorry, no two day discount.

On a side note, it's about half this price for the other tracks we run on, Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Laguna Seca, only $575 for 2 days of racing action!
Single day entries now available. $325 for the day!
All makes and models welcome!
This is a 92 dB sound level event.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Laguna Seca, only $575 for 2 days of racing action!
Single day entries now available. $325 for the day!
All makes and models welcome!
This is a 92 dB sound level event.
Correct! And the 92db is a track rule enforced by the track. It's not a club thing. They have a db testing station at two locations as you drive the track. If you fail, your given an (or two) opportunity to quiet the car. If you fail again, your done for the rest of the event, period. Again, that's a track thing, not a club thing. I think you get three chances, but I can't verify as I can't find any current info. I'll ask AROSC and post the official word. But this is close.

Stock 4C's (no muffler) have run there without issue. Our 240z has no muffler and no problem, but it's also a stock engine making 150 hp.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Correct! And the 92db is a track rule enforced by the track. It's not a club thing. They have a db testing station at two locations as you drive the track. If you fail, your given an (or two) opportunity to quiet the car. If you fail again, your done for the rest of the event, period. Again, that's a track thing, not a club thing. I think you get three chances, but I can't verify as I can't find any current info. I'll ask AROSC and post the official word. But this is close.

Stock 4C's (no muffler) have run there without issue. Our 240z has no muffler and no problem, but it's also a stock engine making 150 hp.
I'm fairly certain that you only get two strikes now, then you're out. It used to be three strikes plus a pair of sound checks that didn't count as strikes if you failed, but now a failed sound check counts as a strike too.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm fairly certain that you only get two strikes now, then you're out. It used to be three strikes plus a pair of sound checks that didn't count as strikes if you failed, but now a failed sound check counts as a strike too.
I was thinking two strikes and originally wrote that. But I can't remember for certain and it's been a year and a half since I've driven Laguna Seca. But the point is that it is the track that is serious about the sound level. We can thank the people who bought houses with a track side view and then decided they didn't like the noise and complained.

The good news is that newer cars with stock mufflers won't have an issue. Older cars with decent mufflers won't have an issue either.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
92db Sound Limit

I finally received word about the sound restriction at Laguna Seca for this event.

"92 db and three strikes"

We almost have our 240z ready to go. It seems we installed a clutch problem last weekend. If we can't resolve it, I might be forced into bring my 4C.

My father and his 66 GTV won't be able to make it now. Dad fell off his bicycle and broke his hip. Surgery went well and he's in rehab making good progress. He's disappointed that he can't drive Laguna Seca, but, is looking forward to making California Speedway in December with the club, AROSC. That would be 8-9 December 2018 at Auto Club Speedway, formerly known as California Speedway.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Too bad the track only gets a few days in a year for higher sound. 92db is comically low for a motorsport venue, except for essentially stock mufflers and enclosed airboxes.

Thanks, stupid people who move next to a race track.

Reactions: Bart Carter

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Too bad the track only gets a few days in a year for higher sound. 92db is comically low for a motorsport venue, except for essentially stock mufflers and enclosed airboxes.

Thanks, stupid people who move next to a race track.
"Like"

My phone doesn't have the ability to press the like button.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Almost ready to go. Yes, I'm Bob Russell.
It's a 92db event, three strikes and you're out. That's not our rule, it's a track thing and they do the db testing.
I'm looking forward to meeting Call me Al and anybody else from this forum.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts