Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a house and the driveway has a fairly deep gutter. I think I must have scraped the front bumper sides over the driveway while turning out. I am curious if someone has some ideas on fixing that, other than a new paint job.

My thoughts have been to check on Flexidip, or if there is a nice spoiler that could cover some of that. From just looking at it you don't see a whole lot of it, but for folks like us it is enough to turn your stomach on.

Attachments

·
Registered
876 Posts
I bought a house and the driveway has a fairly deep gutter. I think I must have scraped the front bumper sides over the driveway while turning out. I am curious if someone has some ideas on fixing that, other than a new paint job.

My thoughts have been to check on Flexidip, or if there is a nice spoiler that could cover some of that. From just looking at it you don't see a whole lot of it, but for folks like us it is enough to turn your stomach on.
mine is lowered, with madness springs, i hit pothole so bad scraped the bottom of the bumper and broke tabs on bumper, will have to remove it to fix the tabs :(

·
Registered
399 Posts

I understand it turned mine too looking at the pic. Sorry it happened can’t think of any fix that don’t require paint or repair.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I cant see your thumbnails but when I first got the QV we had the issue of the paint scrapes on the side bumper. It is underneath and you can't see it but I know it is there. I took two steps. filled in the curb a bit with thinset but apparently not enough to get a notice from the city that I altered the drainage YET. The next was to get some Mopar paint and I covered it up. Waiting for it to fully cure but you could also do what one of our forum members did. He got Carbon Fiber strips and put those underneath the car in the culprit areas including the painted areas to the sides of the splitters. It is not worth a paid repair. It likely won't be the last but you can live with it if it is not scrapped. I would get the paint (have a can of spray rosso) and not bothering to clear coat it.

Someone else gave me good advise here. If you can't see it then it is not there. As long as it does not affect it mechanically do the best you can and take those on a sharp diagonal one wheel at a time. I had another incident that required me to pull my Giulia QV cover out of the trunk and use it for lift to prevent an "incident". It worked. Glad that cover and duffle bag can be put to good use. I also have the set of Stelvio matts the dealer sent me instead of the QV G matts in the trunk. Those are now being put to good use in those instances as well. I call it MY EMERGENCY CURB ASSISTANCE PACK!

Sorry and I know how much it sucks to have to be concerned about pulling into your own driveway.

·
Registered
91 Posts
The bright side is you probably don't see it unless you are on your head upside down - but I feel your pain. If you can't really see it, absent a yoga pose, I wouldn't stress it. You can always buy a front lip if it's too disconcerting.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Argh! I'm the guy who added the skid strips. But yours is up on the bumper. My advice is to clean it, hand buff it with rubbing compound and then look to see how many scrapes actually go through to the plastic. We can see several at this point. I would fill them with some putty or filler using a small knife or palate knife. Then tool it down carefully to a little below paint level without marring the surrounding area. Then touch it up with the Mopar paint. A little primer might help but the point is to work small and use detailed instruments. This will minimize the need for a repaint. Once you get the touch up paint on there, it will blend in a lot more and you will feel some relief.

Then you can look for my skid strips thread here and make an easy set for the bumper edges. Basically 2 chevrons for each side. But this really only helps the bottom not the sides.

For the sharp slope I recommend curb ramps of filling your curb. I have a set of Bridge-it curb ramps that I drilled out to lighten for quick transport and a non permanent installation. They sit close by but hidden and out of the way of plows and storm drainage. And I only need 2 of the 3 since I can line them up where the tires roll. I have not scraped yet thank God, but that is because other people were good enough to warn us on this forum. On the Quad the rear diffuser is more susceptible to scraping when backing out of driveways.

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I’d have to take it and get it repaired. I might not be able to see it, but I’d know it was there. It’s only money.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts

Time to look into fixing that low gutter, after you get the bodywork done on the lower front>:) Turn it into a trench gutter with a grate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I scraped my left front edge last fall. It was about 9" long by 1.5". Took it to the dealer and the reparied it for 90$! They admitted they should have charge 120$ but quoted me under 100$ and they stuck to that. Bottom line, check around, it not as expensive as you might think.

·
Registered
316 Posts
You won't be able to make it go away, but you can make it look a lot better with some wet 5000 grit sandpaper followed with some polish. Most of the white will disappear. Then some touch-up paint in the deep black scratches and it should be tolerable.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Agree with 90B, try to clean it up well and touch up. In all honesty likely to do it again. If you can see if from standing then I think i'd work harder to get it repaired.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Argh! I'm the guy who added the skid strips. But yours is up on the bumper. My advice is to clean it, hand buff it with rubbing compound and then look to see how many scrapes actually go through to the plastic. We can see several at this point. I would fill them with some putty or filler using a small knife or palate knife. Then tool it down carefully to a little below paint level without marring the surrounding area. Then touch it up with the Mopar paint. A little primer might help but the point is to work small and use detailed instruments. This will minimize the need for a repaint. Once you get the touch up paint on there, it will blend in a lot more and you will feel some relief.

Then you can look for my skid strips thread here and make an easy set for the bumper edges. Basically 2 chevrons for each side. But this really only helps the bottom not the sides.

For the sharp slope I recommend curb ramps of filling your curb. I have a set of Bridge-it curb ramps that I drilled out to lighten for quick transport and a non permanent installation. They sit close by but hidden and out of the way of plows and storm drainage. And I only need 2 of the 3 since I can line them up where the tires roll. I have not scraped yet thank God, but that is because other people were good enough to warn us on this forum. On the Quad the rear diffuser is more susceptible to scraping when backing out of driveways.
Sorry I remembered it was you. I was trying to find the link. You do a very neat job also.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
OK cool. You can add the strip to the lower bumper face too. Take a look with out mounting it and see what you think.

In fact, you may try this with the rounding of the bumper face, you may not see much from standing but it will help protect the face in the future.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the ideas. I have been thinking to get one of these CF front bumper spoilers, and maybe that will simply cover it, plus it provides a cover in the vent it happens again. Now, with that said, I am that kind of ADD type that would not want to scrape the CF spoiler :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Time to look into fixing that low gutter, after you get the bodywork done on the lower front>:) Turn it into a trench gutter with a grate.
My thin set strategy worked and bi complaints from the city either. Just filled in a 1/2 inch of the curb. Working out well but even the driver that dropped our car off didn’t want to drive it on our driveway it is just too steep

·
Registered
14 Posts
Commiserate fully. Hit a water-filled pothole turning into a driveway and scraped underside of my spoiler just like you. I'm told there is no cheap way around it if you want it to look right. The bumper needs to be removed and the affected area sanded and painted. Quoted around 675. I'll be a lot more careful after absorbing that. Good luck.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I scraped my left front edge last fall. It was about 9" long by 1.5". Took it to the dealer and the reparied it for 90$! They admitted they should have charge 120$ but quoted me under 100$ and they stuck to that. Bottom line, check around, it not as expensive as you might think.

I scraped the front bumper underneath as well :( Boneheaded mistake hitting a parking spot cement block.

That's a great price for a fresh paint job. I may e-mail the local Alfa/Maserati dealership manager and see what they can do for me rather than rush to put in an insurance claim. If I can make the scrapes look new again for less than $200 that's a win.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts