Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like Jimmy Carter admitting that he has committed "adultery in my heart," have you looked longingly at a car that's not your Giulia?

While I have no near or long-term plans to give up my Giulia for anything else (except maybe a 350HP Veloce near the end of my warranty), I have to admit that I really look longingly at the new 2018 Mustang GT. I know it apples to Alfa's orange, but I love that car. I had a '15 GT that, along with an '03 330i ZHP sedan, I gave up for my Giulia with no regrets, but this '18 is sooo nice. The instant gobs of power is intoxicating, the build quality is excellent, and the tech and luxury of the premium trims is completely satisfying for my tastes. Also, and this is big, it comes with a 6-speed manual, much improved over the '15 I had, so I've read. I was never a Mustang fan at all before the S550 came out in '15, apart of course from the '60s classics ('67/'68s make me melt, like Corvettes and Camaros of that era), but the S550 IRS transformed the Mustang from a blunt and somewhat cheap-feeling car built around a great drivetrain, to a great car overall, part muscle car and part sports car. From what I've read and watched, the new one is even closer to a true sports car. Just an amazing bang for the buck. I don't think I would replace the Giulia with a Mustang at this point, but a few years down the road, when I can get a lightly used '18 for a deep discount, I just might replace my old Alfas with one. Maybe one of the rumored Bullitt editions (if I don't get a convertible), here caught being filmed...love those Bullitt wheels!

Attachments

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
437 Posts
Totally! but the Giulia is an absolutely amazing value for an all around daily.

In the last month I looked at the following cars... just to look :)

Audi RS3 - laughable interior. Sure the seats themselves are nice but the dash is absolutely terrible, literally can't stand to look it at. Overall the car is way too small.

718 Cayman S - Lacks DD practicality but amazing. Would probably get a used 911 instead though to get 'back seats'

C43 AMG - Insurance is sooo high on these things it's crazy. Can't justify the numbers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^^ I saw a 987 Cayman S at cars and coffee this last Saturday (Cockeysville, MD). Nothing special of course, but it reminded my of how much I completely loved the Cayman S I had. But I need back seats, and having owned a 911 (an '04 40th Ann), I'm just not tempted to get back into another 911. So I'll probably have to wait until the kids are grown and have their own cars to get back into a 2-seat toy, and that will probably be a 987.2 Cayman S (better center stack than a .1, and no IMS). One thing I really love about the Giulia is that it really handles like a 4-door Cayman; just doesn't have that NA flat 6 and 6 speed manual.

Here's my '07 S, next to my '87 Spider Quad, several years ago. Had the "Supple Leather" interior in tan, with leather dash and door sills, Sport Chrono package, 19" 911 turbo wheels. Midnight blue over tan, what a gorgeous car. Magically transformed into a Honda Odyssey, and people say alchemy isn't real.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes! I've got a Ti Q4, so I'm longingly looking at the QV!
I have two 1/18 BBR models, one in gray and one Carabinieri, and yes I look longingly at them often. If I don't get a second modern car, like a Mustang GT, I might go the Quadrifoglio route someday. Very tempting indeed.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,469 Posts
I'd like an Abarth Spider after it gets more teeth (I'm not into modding). While undeniably nice, the Mustang has gotten too big for my tastes.

Mrs. Chipshot is another story. She has her eyes on the F-Pace.

Reactions: GioSailor

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
4C is my dream. It's a weekend toy at most, but someday I will have one.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
So yes I have been tempted...fortunately I have 2 other toys and limited garage space...BUT the Mustang is on my short list...specifically a GT350 not the R.
once you've had a honking V8 with instant torque your hooked...
and yes the McQueen Fastback GT is indeed back..nice http://l.e.crainalerts.com/rts/go2.aspx?h=43456&tp=i-H43-Dv-Je-13CRC-1n-15C4-1c-13Lnv-286iMj
+1 on the GT350. Flat plane crank motor in that car has the best exhaust note on the planet in my opinion. I parked next to a white ATSV with carbon fiber pack today(sadly had the lousy auto trans) and still have the warm fuzzies for that bad boy. To date this Quadrifoglio is the best car I have ever owned and I have zero regrets.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There were a few GT350s at cars n coffee last Saturday, and this one I saw just yesterday at work. To say this car has "presence" is a distinct understatement. My only worry would be if replacement parts for that flat crank engine might become rare/expensive, especially compared to the ubiquitous 5.0 Coyote engine. Maybe that flat crank sound is worth any extra expense. Might be pricey compared to a regular GT, but still cheap compared to anything else in its league.

Attachments

Reactions: mc3456

·
Registered
573 Posts
Well, I thought this might be an interesting thread to read until I got to the "Mustang" part. Sorry, not a Ford fan and really not a Mustang fan. Either way, I just having found anything else that has caught my attention like the Giulia has and I don't even have my car yet. Maybe something will come along at some point, we will just have to see. Also, like a few others on this thread, the QV would be very nice to have, just not practical in my case for why I am getting the Giulia.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
4C is my dream. It's a weekend toy at most, but someday I will have one.
The other 2-seat option for me, along with the 987.2 Cayman S. Back to back test drives would be needed, but would probably boil down to how badly I want a manual at that point.

White over red Spider is the one for me. But I wouldn't consider this cheating on the Giulia. You can never have too many Alfas, and they aren't jealous of one another.

Attachments

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
There were a few GT350s at cars n coffee last Saturday, and this one I saw just yesterday at work. To say this car has "presence" is a distinct understatement. My only worry would be if replacement parts for that flat crank engine might become rare/expensive, especially compared to the ubiquitous 5.0 Coyote engine. Maybe that flat crank sound is worth any extra expense. Might be pricey compared to a regular GT, but still cheap compared to anything else in its league.
GT350s are a regular sight (and sound) in the Detroit area, as are "feats of strength" with Camaros and Challengers.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
^^ Muscle car culture fits quite nicely with the spirit of Festivus. The forums are full of Scorn for the Competition and Boasts of Prowess, complementing the more traditional Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
^^ Muscle cars fit quite nicely with the spirit of Festivus. The forums are full of Scorn of the Competition and Boasts of Prowess, complementing the more traditional Airing of Grievances and Feats of Strength.
They fit even better with the annual Woodward Dream Cruise (to which Alfa Romeos and all other vehicles are welcome).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get weak in the knees anytime any generation Porsche GT3 comes along, however those are in a totally different price point. The Mustang 350 is appealing as others have stated. I also occasionally covet the BMW M3. I am lucky to have a couple track toys to keep my wandering eye (and declining bank account) focused on though. Ha!

Now if my QV would just get to the dealership...

-KJ

1 - 20 of 86 Posts