Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alfa Romeo 2019 constructors’ finish was 8th. F1.com projects the same 8th standing for 2020. Alfa Romeo's performance at pre-season testing was slightly anomalous, the team demonstrating exceptional straight-line speed, topping the speed trap charts after hitting a DRS-assisted 200mph, and setting some headline-grabbing but, probably slightly glory-runny laps. The overall picture, however, was one that failed to convince the F1.com experts that the Hinwil team had really taken a step up the midfield order, as they slotted into the eighth place in which they finished in the 2019 constructors’ standings. Unlike other midfield rivals such as Renault and AlphaTauri, there's been no warm-up testing for Alfa Romeo's Kimi Raikkonen or Antonio Giovinazzi ahead of the Austrian Grand Prix this coming weekend.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Painful today's practice rounds. P14 (GIO) and P15 (RAI) in practice #1 and P14 (GIO) and P19 (RAI) in practice #2. In both sessions at about 1.5sec from P1. Evidently, extremelly early to any comments but, the improvements made by Renault, Racing Point and McLaren are impressive. Surprise, Mercedes P1 and P2 in both practice sessions

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today was as painful as yesterday's practices. We lasted only 10 minutes in today's process and are out of the Q1. Let's see what's next.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Racing point got good because of the Mercedes car so that makes it that much harder for us now. But you know it's crazy times when vettel can't even make q3

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Interesting" race today. Good for the FIA reinforcing the rules, yesterday and today, even in unpopular situations. Impresive the luck of Ferrari with The Kid finising in P2 with a middle-of-the-pack car. VET was Vettel once again, making his usual one costly mistake per race but, at least, taking 1 point. And our Alfa Romeo's, good for GIO scoring a couple of points with his "street car". Never understood what happened with RAI and I think they forgot to tight his right front tire in the last pit stop. Just what we needed. In any case, I am glad that the 2020 F1 started and that for almost 8 weekends in a row, we will enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
9 didn't finish. And 2 time penalties. This is as crazy as Germany last year. I wonder how next weekend will go

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,083 Posts
The wheels are falling off the Alfa Romeo championship challenge this year
it appears all Ferrari PSU are underperforming

I wonder if Ferrari have thrown a blanket over 2020 whilst an ex employee who could potentially end up at Mercedes is still around

great result for Charles,

Hammy up to his old (cheat at all costs) tricks again whenever anybody turns up the wick ... can you believe he is asking for 70Million for next year

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree r.e Max, I think Red Bull’s will be one to watch next week, Alex will be hurting and will want to make a strong push for a podium after watching his pal Lando achieve the feat yesterday.
McLaren looked like they will be up for another good battle with Racing Point.
I think yesterday has really stirred up the melting pot and should provide the ingredients for another great race next weekend.

It is a shame AR couldn’t find the performance, clearly something fundamental within the car, Ferrari PSU must be a factor but I’m wondering if their aero department have followed Ferrari’s wayward path and the problem is greater than it appears. Seeing Kimi so far down the grid on Saturday just didn’t seem right? Even with a questionable Q1 strategy it was massively disappointing.

5 days to go and we do it all again!! 😁

·
Registered
289 Posts
I guess the FIA found something in last year's Ferrari engines. The confidential settlement sheds no light but clearly there was something, as all the Ferrari powered cars were well off their 2019 pace at the same track. I guess Ferrari subscribe to the NASCAR motto " You ain't tryin' if you ain't cheating'"

·
Registered
467 Posts
So am I the only one that wants a sweet Ferrari F1 face mask?!? They need to sell those things, maybe for a charity

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I guess the FIA found something in last year's Ferrari engines. The confidential settlement sheds no light but clearly there was something, as all the Ferrari powered cars were well off their 2019 pace at the same track. I guess Ferrari subscribe to the NASCAR motto " You ain't tryin' if you ain't cheating'"
Yep...you can see that. It's like Mercedes gets a free pass and everyone else has to get pushed back to the drawing board.

·
Premium Member
972 Posts
I agree r.e Max, I think Red Bull’s will be one to watch next week, Alex will be hurting and will want to make a strong push for a podium after watching his pal Lando achieve the feat yesterday.
McLaren looked like they will be up for another good battle with Racing Point.
I think yesterday has really stirred up the melting pot and should provide the ingredients for another great race next weekend.

It is a shame AR couldn’t find the performance, clearly something fundamental within the car, Ferrari PSU must be a factor but I’m wondering if their aero department have followed Ferrari’s wayward path and the problem is greater than it appears. Seeing Kimi so far down the grid on Saturday just didn’t seem right? Even with a questionable Q1 strategy it was massively disappointing.

5 days to go and we do it all again!! 😁
I think it's too early to tell where any team is, as the quick ramp up has impacted everyone differently. Red Bull had smoking qualifiers but Max's car died early in the race. Mercedes was freaking out late in the race that the gear box was unstable and that the curbs were potentially going to kill the car. Ferrari was clearly slow and it looked like only McLaren had a consistent team performance. Hell, even Williams was showing some spark with Russell slowly climbing up. Evidence of this were 9 DNFs. Kimi losing a wheel was symptomatic of a lack preparation and I think next week will show a much improved performance across the board.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I thought Ferrari was brining a new car next this weekend. We'll have to wait and see

·
Registered
289 Posts
they have updates planned for Hungary, nothing new this weekend
They have no choice but to try something earlier than Hungary. They were getting their ass kicked by the Force India/Racing point/Who Gives an eff team. They looked ridiculous for a top tier team. Come back Ross Brawn. All is forgiven

1 - 20 of 34 Posts