Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been following the threads about the 2.0 turbo requiring oil sporting the appropriate Alfa/Fiat designations. Bought a couple quarts for top up of the appropriate platinum euro LX 0w-30 which was the only specifically approved one I could find, for about $11 a quart.

So now I had my one year maintenance done (6800 miles). Even though its included, they run out the costs on the invoice for the oil change and list the 6 quarts of oil as costing $36. Can that really be.... $6 a quart for the rare elixir that the car seems to require? Or did my order get swapped for the Fiat oil change special. Usually dealers cost way more than the parts stores, not less. Should I dump the sump and refill with the Penzoil 0w-30 LX? Inquiring minds need to know.....

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I guess I’d suggest asking the dealer service what the spec fill oil is. You may want to ask about buying a quart, so as not to make them defensive.

If it’s the right stuff, no worries. If it isn’t, have them fix it with the correct oil.

Though the Pennzoil in question uses Shell’s natural gas base oil, which they say has many fewer impurities and better flow, my suspicion is that the benefits, assuming they exist, are more relevant to diesel motors, and really quite marginal in gas motors when compared to other full synthetics for typical duty cycles in our 2.0 gas engines.

The performance jump from conventional oil (“dino juice”) to synthetic was huge, but natural gas based oil is more about economics than a quantum leap in performance, it seems to me, but I’m not a lubricant pro or even a oil fanatic, just a simple observer, so I don’t speak with authority.

Aside from asking the dealer, I’d not worry about it, but maybe change oil at 5k or 6k if you can’t shake the concern.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Certainly ask the Service Departmet what oil they used. Which dealer was was it, so someone else who has used them can check their invoice price. I purchased the Euro LX for $8/per at my local Advance Auto, so $6 is possible in bulk...especially if they are listing their price, and not the over the counter price.

Now, if they admit to using an improper oil, then it gets interesting. As a (I assume) Certified Alfa Dealer and Service Department, especially in Cali, you may have some interesting options available. I would start at the Dealership Service Manager and work up, demanding an extended powertrain warranty for free, at a minimum. Alfa emphasizes the importance of the right oil, make them aware and see what happens.

Here’s a useful site for you: https://www.bar.ca.gov

·
Registered
857 Posts
I too bought some Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0-W30 for top up purposes (but haven't needed any at all in 2400 miles). According to one of the members (I think it was posted by McGeek), the factory oil is Petronas Selenia Digitek Pure Energy 0W30 This is what I would expect the dealer to use but you never know. When I picked up my car from the dealer, I asked the salesman what type of oil I should use and he just said "any decent synthetic, like Mobil 1 will be fine".
The list that was posted also listed a few other oils that should meet the FIAT spec:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W30 (from AAP)
Shell Helix Ultra ECT
Fuchs Titan GT1
BP Formula Elite
BP Formula Selec

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's likely bulk oil ordered from a local supplier- brand name, but bulk- SOP at a dealer.

I wouldn't sweat it. That's what warranty is for.

rjp

·
Registered
647 Posts
This is a great question and I've been trying to get a definitive answer for many months. I bought a quart of the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 ($9.50 at Advanced Auto Parts/Carquest) last fall for a small top up, 4 ounces. No oil top ups needed since then. A few months ago I had a new dealer do my one year comp service. The parts guy showed me a quart of Mopar 0W-30 and said it was what Alfa had sent them for Giulia/Stelvio oil changes. I could see no evidence of the Fiat spec 9.55535.GS1 for my 2.0L. It's Fiat 9.55535.Z2 for the 2.9L Quad. He said I was welcome to bring my own oil if I didn't want the Mopar oil. I could not anywhere find confirmation that this Mopar oil met the Fiat spec. Afla Romeo Cares was no help. I was not comfortable with the Mopar oil and did in fact buy 5 more quarts of the Pennzoil at Advanced for $50. The dealer then added about 5.4 quarts, very close to the 5.5 quarts spec'd. The extra $50 to me was OK knowing I for sure had the had correct oil. The Petronas Selenia oil added at the factory is not available in the USA. The Giulia engines from my understanding have strict requirements for the 0 viscosity as in the Fiat spec'd oil due the tight tolerances of the Giulia MultiAir2 turbo engine.

I have no idea if the Mopar 0W-30 is a re-badged Pennzoil or other approved oil. I'm not going to let a dealer put it in my Giulia until I see something in writing. At this point I'm very skeptical especially since the dealer is only charging $6 a quart?

Lots of folks and dealers have said to use the Mobil 1 or even Castrol Edge, but I have never been able to confirm that. In fact I called the Castrol headquarters in the USA and they said their Edge oil did not meet the Fiat spec. Would be really nice if someone from Alfa Romeo US (not Chrysler/Mopar) would publish in writing what oil is approved to use in the USA other than Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX. Even Pennzoil is confusing because they have so many similar looking and similar named oil products. Good grief! I'm tempted to call my friend Donald in Washington, DC. :D

·
Registered
857 Posts
I'm of the same opinion as you, JuliaQ4-Nut. It is much better to try and stick to the proper specified oil, to be on the safe side. Perhaps some other brand of 0W30 would work well but I'm not going to be the test pilot..... When I have some time I may call the nearest dealerships (there are three that are reasonably close to me) and ask the service departments exactly what oil they are using for oil changes and top ups. If I get any useful answers, I'll post them here.

On another thread I'm still trying to figure what coolant to buy and where I can get it. It ain't simple!

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm of the same opinion as you, JuliaQ4-Nut. It is much better to try and stick to the proper specified oil, to be on the safe side. Perhaps some other brand of 0W30 would work well but I'm not going to be the test pilot..... When I have some time I may call the nearest dealerships (there are three that are reasonably close to me) and ask the service departments exactly what oil they are using for oil changes and top ups. If I get any useful answers, I'll post them here.

On another thread I'm still trying to figure what coolant to buy and where I can get it. It ain't simple!
Martyn, you are way more trusting than me. :grin2:

·
Registered
422 Posts
If you can't trust the dealer then you have nothing... I'd be very wary about bringing in my own stuff while under warranty.

rjp

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you can't trust the dealer then you have nothing... I'd be very wary about bringing in my own stuff while under warranty.

rjp
Well, I had one dealer tell me they use Mobil1 and then both said they use the Mopar. I brought my own oil that is specifically listed in the Giulia owner's manual, the Pennzoil pdf sheet and has the Fiat spec listed on the back of the bottle. My Alfa dealer put my oil in during their factory service and said noting about voiding my warranty. He's Deaf, will you post a link where the Mopar oil is shown to meet the fiat spec? Thanks.

It is pretty clear from my being a forum member here for over a year that we have some not very trustworthy dealers in the US. Especially some of those that are Fiat/Alfa dealers. I also asked Alfa Romeo Cares and was also told to trust the dealers.

Seems like I'm going in circles trying to get a straight answer other than trust the dealer!

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally I think the service writers say whatever, make **** up- not like they actually know anything. But, whatever as long as I got that receipt saying I followed the directions and used their stuff, it's cool.

I would imagine Alfa / Chrysler would be on the dealership if they were caught using out of spec supplies (like bad oil) on their warranty cars. That don't fly with manufacturers- that's a huge liability.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Personally I think the service writers say whatever, make **** up- not like they actually know anything. But, whatever as long as I got that receipt saying I followed the directions and used their stuff, it's cool.

I would imagine Alfa / Chrysler would be on the dealership if they were caught using out of spec supplies (like bad oil) on their warranty cars. That don't fly with manufacturers- that's a huge liability.
Are you saying the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is out of spec? See photos below of Pennzoil bottle front and back.

Here is the pdf from Pennzoil that specifically shows that the oil I used meets or exceeds the Fiat spec. So are we going to continue to go in circles about this or do you now see I'm using an in spec oil? I'm retired and have lots of time to ague with you.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...ro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

I ask you again, please show me where it states that the Mopar 0W-30 oil meets the Fiat spec. You think I would purposely let them put a
$6 quart of non-spec oil in my Alfa Romeo Giulia? I asked Alfa Romeo Cares and got no help. They work for Alfa/Chrysler.

What if Seattle Afla Romeo/Ferrari/Maserrati suggest they put extra virgin Italian olive oil in my Giulia. Do you think that would be a good idea?

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts

Are you saying the Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30 is out of spec? See photos below of Pennzoil bottle front and back.

Here is the pdf from Pennzoil that specifically shows that the oil I used meets or exceeds the Fiat spec. So are we going to continue to go in circles about this or do you now see I'm using an in spec oil? I'm retired and have lots of time to ague with you.
https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...ro_LX_SAE_0W-30_Fully_Synthetic_Motor_Oil.pdf

I ask you again, please show me where it states that the Mopar 0W-30 oil meets the Fiat spec. You think I would purposely let them put a
$6 quart of non-spec oil in my Alfa Romeo Giulia? I asked Alfa Romeo Cares and got no help. They work for Alfa/Chrysler.

What if Seattle Afla Romeo/Ferrari/Maserrati suggest they put extra virgin Italian olive oil in my Giulia. Do you think that would be a good idea?
I didnt say any of those things.

Calm down. Its just an oil change. You are freaking out over nothing. They're only the DEALER, you know official authorized service. Nothing big.

Youre retired. Isnt there something better to do?

·
Registered
537 Posts
We usually use Pennzoil Platimum Euro, but we have used Mopar synthetic in the past, case lot, not bulk.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If I understand correctly, Alfa Romeo (FCA) was the recipient of the invoice. If so, it appears that the dealer charged Alfa Romeo $6.00 per quart. If that's the case, it's probably at dealer's cost.

Ask the parts department to sell you a quart and you will find out if it really is $6 a quart oil.

AlfaCrisis raised this point earlier.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If I understand correctly, Alfa Romeo (FCA) was the recipient of the invoice. If so, it appears that the dealer charged Alfa Romeo $6.00 per quart. If that's the case, it's probably at dealer's cost.

Ask the parts department to sell you a quart and you will find out if it really is $6 a quart oil.

AlfaCrisis raised this point earlier.
Good thought. Actually, that was my plan. I have to go back next week because a parking sensor ejected itself from the front bumper and is now on order. Thought I would stop by the parts department and see what they are selling for oil when I ask .

·
Registered
537 Posts
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Who told you that was OK to do? Did you read the manual ;)

Look above, genius. My god you're just a dipshit.

rjp
Honestly we as techs don’t give a crap what we run, we put in a request for oil and we use what the parts department gives us, end of story. No looking in the manual, no crap.

I really think this thread is getting heated for no reason, it’s just an oil change after all, no need to go back and forth calling names and being disrespectful.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks He's Deaf for your above post which I now see. This is the nitty gritty I'm talking about. I did not see any reference to a spec on the back of the Mopar bottle I saw at the dealer's parts dept. I'l have to check again. Your post that the Mopar Oil meets the Chrysler MS-13340 might be the answer I need. I had pretty much zeroed in on the Fiat spec. My sometimes fuzzy brain might have just ignored the Chrysler spec. A post last year by MacGeek seemed to indicate that the factory oil meets both specs:

All I can do is tell you what the factory puts in.
Engine Oil
2.0 T4: Synthetic SAE 0W30, API SN, ACEA C2, Chrysler MS-13340, FIAT 9.55535-GS1.
Factory product: FL Petronas Selenia Digitek P.E.

Anyway, my only question now which might be obvious is: Are the specs, Chrysler MS-13340 and Fiat 9.55535-GS1 the exact same/equal spec, and just for different markets? It appears that might be correct. If so then when I'm due for another oil change or before that I'll take another look at the Mopar bottle to make sure it shows MS-13340 on the back and let the dealer use it versus the Pennzoil oil I bought in the USA.

1 - 20 of 137 Posts