Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about how most of the issues people are complaining about seem to be things that are addressed in software flashes.

I was hoping we could get a thread going to track what the results are.

Give us the follow:

1) Update received.
2) Date received the update.
3) Experience since the update.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I am interested in that too.....my car has been basically flawless but am getting 6 update on 8/15....last thing I need is for updates to actually screw something lol

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya you hear all about the problems. But Alfa is fixing them. So let's hear if they are getting it right.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Getting all these today...1/17 build. Fingers crossed! (This is the description from the dealer)

Powertrain Diagnostic/System Flash – The Malfunction Indicator Light may come on just to update the Powertrain Control Module

Radio Software Enhancements – This is concerning Radio, Bluetooth and Navigation concerns

Adaptive Cruise Control Flash – The Malfunction Indicator Light may come on for Wheel Speed Plausibility Failure and Video Camera Private Can Communication Failure

Audio System Warning Light Illuminated Updates – Audio System Warning Light will come on, Radio will turn on but with no audio sound.

I'll report back if my issues are resolved. Primary problems have been:

2 stalls a day after refueling. Both times I didn't give the car a minute to warm up before shifting to drive

Adaptive Cruise/Forward collision malfunction indicator

Nav map disappears for a second and reappears

·
Registered
20 Posts
Radio/Nav update wiped out the maps for me and am without the car since a week now. It might be a hardware issue though. Not entirely sure at this point.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
653 Posts
At about the 1,800 mile mark, my car stalled and then went into limp mode with the ominous "service electronic throttle" and check engine light warnings. Prior to that it drove very hot and the engine oil temperature gauge was always at 5 bars.
I was able to drive it straight into a dealership without an appointment (not the one I bought it at). They brought it into the service area, hooked it up to a laptop and performed an "ECM flash update per bulletin 18-030-17." I was out the door and back on the road in less than an hour.
The car runs better than ever, much cooler, and the temperature never goes above 4 bars.
I have an AWD Ti with a February 2017 build date.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Infotainment Issue

I was supposed to get the Infotainment update because mine keeps randomly turning off and back on when driving. The dealership said that they have the update but cannot get it to work so I am waiting until they get it figured out.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was supposed to get the Infotainment update because mine keeps randomly turning off and back on when driving. The dealership said that they have the update but cannot get it to work so I am waiting until they get it figured out.
Mine was first updated 3 weeks ago without Nav updates and was told by dealership that they I can bring it later and they will keep the update ready on a USB. It took them approximately 2 weeks to get the update ready(something about updates not downloadable or working) and then when I finally took the car last week, the update wiped out the maps completely. Since last week, they are just running diagnostics and applying patches but no resolution in sight

·
Registered
167 Posts
At about the 1,800 mile mark, my car stalled and then went into limp mode with the ominous "service electronic throttle" and check engine light warnings. Prior to that it drove very hot and the engine oil temperature gauge was always at 5 bars.
I was able to drive it straight into a dealership without an appointment (not the one I bought it at). They brought it into the service area, hooked it up to a laptop and performed an "ECM flash update per bulletin 18-030-17." I was out the door and back on the road in less than an hour.
The car runs better than ever, much cooler, and the temperature never goes above 4 bars.
I have an AWD Ti with a February 2017 build date.
The update recalibrates the gauge, the car is probably running at the exact same temp.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nope

The update recalibrates the gauge, the car is probably running at the exact same temp.
Absolutely not. The car runs noticeably and dramatically cooler. Heat used to emanate through the hood of the car after a few minutes of driving. In fact, the day I picked it up, I commented to the salesman about how hot the engine was after we merely sat in the car with it idling while he went over the infotainment operations and other functions.
It is definitely cooler.

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
I agree. The engine runs cooler which I believe is how they are correcting the misfires people are experiencing. My only concern with the tech when they applied this update back in May (which I then noticed the lower engine temp) after the update, was the possibility of carbon build up over time now that the engine is running a little cooler... possibly leaner. These are direct injection engines and by design, are prone to carbon build up which can considerably rob engine performance over time. The tech didn't provide a response nor would I expect a response. But its definitely in the back of my mind. I am wondering... will my engine respond the same way... 5 years from now?

I recommend to everyone, again being that this is a direct injection engine, to once in a while slam on your accelerator... run hard through the gears and through the RPM range. Always running premium octane 91 or better fuel of course. It helps loosen any carbon deposits, if any, that may or may not have accumulated.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree. The engine runs cooler which I believe is how they are correcting the misfires people are experiencing. My only concern with the tech when they applied this update back in May (which I then noticed the lower engine temp) after the update, was the possibility of carbon build up over time now that the engine is running a little cooler... possibly leaner. These are direct injection engines and by design, are prone to carbon build up which can considerably rob engine performance over time. The tech didn't provide a response nor would I expect a response. But its definitely in the back of my mind. I am wondering... will my engine respond the same way... 5 years from now?

I recommend to everyone, again being that this is a direct injection engine, to once in a while slam on your accelerator... run hard through the gears and through the RPM range. Always running premium octane 91 or better fuel of course. It helps loosen any carbon deposits, if any, that may or may not have accumulated.
Thanks for this post as it creates a concern for me! I have 1700+ miles on an 8 week old base Giulia, build date 2-17, software - 001.011.020. I have only experienced several minor glitches. #1 ..... Lost my favorite radio stations setting one time only, no big deal. #2 ..... After a quick start up I put it in D and just barely moving at about 1-2 mph and it stalled with an on screen message, I restarted and no further issues, although I usually let it idle for at least 60 seconds. #3 ..... Came down a steep off ramp with a 90 degree left turn signal light at the bottom, I stepped on it to beat the red light, braked fairly hard approaching the light and then accelerated moderately thru the turn, when the engine seemed to hesitate/jerk very quickly about 4 times in 2 seconds and then continued thru the turn normally, no other occurrences of this. I thought I would just let these 3 minor issues go for some time until I found more issues before I took it in for an update.

#4 ..... I saw the previous thread about the engine temp gauge, but mistakenly thought it was just a malfunction of the gauge itself and not really high engine temp. Now reading this thread it finally dawned on me that I have noticed that the hood/engine have seemed rather warm after normal driving. I had taken a photo (see below, does this look high?) a few weeks back just to compare it to the photos on that previous thread. I'm guessing now that perhaps the engine is running hot and I should take it in to correct the engine temp as well as the other minor issues.

Thanks much for any feedback! :smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
954 Posts
Thanks for this post as it creates a concern for me! I have 1700+ miles on an 8 week old base Giulia, build date 2-17, software - 001.011.020. I have only experienced several minor glitches. #1 ..... Lost my favorite radio stations setting one time only, no big deal. #2 ..... After a quick start up I put it in D and just barely moving at about 1-2 mph and it stalled with an on screen message, I restarted and no further issues, although I usually let it idle for at least 60 seconds. #3 ..... Came down a steep off ramp with a 90 degree left turn signal light at the bottom, I stepped on it to beat the red light, braked fairly hard approaching the light and then accelerated moderately thru the turn, when the engine seemed to hesitate/jerk very quickly about 4 times in 2 seconds and then continued thru the turn normally, no other occurrences of this. I thought I would just let these 3 minor issues go for some time until I found more issues before I took it in for an update.

#4 ..... I saw the previous thread about the engine temp gauge, but mistakenly thought it was just a malfunction of the gauge itself and not really high engine temp. Now reading this thread it finally dawned on me that I have noticed that the hood/engine have seemed rather warm after normal driving. I had taken a photo (see below, does this look high?) a few weeks back just to compare it to the photos on that previous thread. I'm guessing now that perhaps the engine is running hot and I should take it in to correct the engine temp as well as the other minor issues.

Thanks much for any feedback! :smile2:
Hi, based on your oil temp guage, it looks like your Giulias ECU has not been updated. Once its updated, you will see 4 bars instead of 5 when your engine is at normal operating temperature. However, dont worry about the 5 bars as that is the normal observed reading pre ECU update.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi, based on your oil temp guage, it looks like your Giulias ECU has not been updated. Once its updated, you will see 4 bars instead of 5 when your engine is at normal operating temperature. However, dont worry about the 5 bars as that is the normal observed reading pre ECU update.
Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I'm still not clear on this. Sounds like you are saying my engine oil temp is normal at 5 bars.

ChiGuy posted earlier in this thread: Prior to that it drove very hot and the engine oil temperature gauge was always at 5 bars.

I presume the ECM update is the same as the ECU update? However you seem to indicate that the the engine oil temp is just fine, both now at 5 bars and after the update at 4 bars and only the current bar reading is off. Sounds like you and ChiGuy are not on the same wavelength.

Thanks for any clarification. :smile2:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Do it

Thanks for your reply. Sorry if I'm still not clear on this. Sounds like you are saying my engine oil temp is normal at 5 bars.
ChiGuy posted earlier in this thread: Prior to that it drove very hot and the engine oil temperature gauge was always at 5 bars.
. . . The car runs better than ever, much cooler, and the temperature never goes above 4 bars.

I presume the ECM update is the same as the ECU update? However you seem to indicate that the the engine oil temp is just fine, both now at 5 bars and after the update at 4 bars and only the current bar reading is off. Sounds like you and ChiGuy are not on the same wavelength.

Thanks for any clarification. :smile2:
I think we are in fact on the same wavelength. This is not a calibration issue. The bar reading is not off. The 5 bars has been verified across this forum as an indication that your car did not receive an important update. Prior to the update, my car hit 5 bars within 10 minutes of driving. After the update, you will see a difference in the engine temperature. But more importantly, you won't be waiting for what seems to be an almost inevitable failure. I highly recommend you get the car in for the update before you have a bad experience. Luckily, I was less than 10 miles from a dealership when my car went into limp mode.

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm all for getting this (and other) update(s) but from other threads my impression is that is not one you can just request and have done. I thought you have to have a problem that the dealer can verify in some way and they can then get permission to do the update. If it's just a question of whether they get paid for their time, I think I would be prepared to pay to get some of the updates done proactively rather than having to wait but I'm not sure that is an option either. For the record my Ti has been flawless to date but definitely doesn't have this update.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts