Votes: 4 21.1%
  • SAAB? are you nuts? BWM all the way

Votes: 1 5.3%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As for we, yes I used to own 9-5 wagon, absolutely loved that thing, whole family still misses that car.

·
Registered
580 Posts
When G.M. was getting close to buying Fiat, and actually collaborated with Alfa on some engines, they did a study to compared Alfa owners to Saab owners. They owned Saab at the time and so they had some interest in this. Anyway, the found that Saab owners and Alfa owners were the same people demographically. I thought that was interesting.

Greg

·
Registered
226 Posts
2000 9-5 was the best car I've ever owned in terms of drivability and enjoyment for a daily driver.........until now. The Giulia is all that the 9-5 was but quicker and a bit better handler.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Since there wasn't a "Liked them but never pulled the plug" I went with the "Loved them" though that was never really the case. I was very attracted to the early (late '90s) 9-5 though. Guy at work had one; I really admired the styling. Re similar demographics, I can see that, though I always thought that Saabs commanded a bit larger share of the New England wine and cheese/PBS-listening crowd than did Alfa (Alfa has its share, but also attracts a broad spectrum of "red state" car people, and DIY mechanics, track rats, etc.). Granted, generalizations based only on personal observation. Anyway, was disappointed when Saab folded as we (the U.S.) needs more quirky, interesting makes. I love seeing the cars in Europe; even the Hondas and Fords look better in general.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I owned a 2000 Steel Gray 9-3 Aero back in the day as a 3rd car. One night while driving to Houston Hobby Airport, on Beltway 8, I was going about a buck thirty with no one at all on the road around me. I just wanted to see how fast the Saab Aero would actually go...then out of nowhere 2 Hennessey tuned Vipers ripped by me like I was standing still. They were loud and mean sounding as the blew my doors off....LOL!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
223 Posts
One time I fit 7 people in my 2000 Saab 9-3 Aero....LOL!

I drove a short 5 mile trip on back roads but I had my Dad and a Daughter in the front passenger seat...my Mom, Sister, Wife, and second Daughter in the back seat. I picked them up when my parent's rental car broke down and drove them to where there was some air conditioning on a very hot Texas day. It was pretty darn funny watching others at a Mall in First Colony react to seeing 7 people get out of the Saab! LOL!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
Red/tan 1984 900 3-door as basic as they came.
Steel wheels, no A/C, crank windows, fuzzy seats.

Rose quartz/burgundy 1989 9000S 5-door.

Both manual transmission and Pirelli-shod.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Had a 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero Convertible. Loved it, even though it was more GM than old school Saab. At least the ignition was still between the seats. Unfortunately, A/C and hydraulics for top went out. The dealership that used to sell Saab's (and is owned by and next door to where I bought my Alfa Giulia) and took care of the car for me told me their only Saab technician had died and if the part could even be found it was going to cost more to fix the car than it was worth. So I sold it as is and drove my 91 AR spider as my daily driver for 2 years, because there was nothing else out there I wanted. That was until the Giulia was introduced. Now, I'm VERY happy with her!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Had an old 9000T in our family when I was new driver. Drove that car a lot. That and the GTI I had were the only FWD cars I've ever really loved.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
I had a TurboX and now I have a Saab 9-4x! So yes!
I haven't seen a 9-4x in ages. There's a 9-7x around the corner from us. Not sure which of them is "less SAAB".

·
Registered
340 Posts
Someone local to us occasionally shows up to cars and coffee in his '85 900T SPG. Each time he does I take advantage of the moment and drool all over it. I have always secretly loved that car, but never had the opportunity to pull the trigger on one. If I could spare the space, and avoid the wrath of my wife, I would get one in a heartbeat.

If you take the time and look over the car closely, it's amazing the subtle yet unique design features it has in regards to aero function and other bits.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'd say there a lot of overlap between Saab and early Giulia owners for sure. I used to work for Saab at the corporate level and was also a three-time Saab owner:

1) 1999 Saab 9-3 5 door hatch, 5 speed manual, 2.0t
2) 2008 Saab 9-3 sedan, 6 speed manual, 2.0T
3) 2011 Saab 9-5 sedan, 6 speed manual, 2.0T BioPower engine

With the demise of the brand and the warranty being dumped in late 2011/early 2012 I sold off my 9-5 in the summer of 2012. As far as I know it is in the Louisville, KY area. I sold the 2008 to a friend, who recently sold it on himself, and the 1999 went to an acquaintance who kept it for several years, junking it at 250k miles.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I haven't seen a 9-4x in ages. There's a 9-7x around the corner from us. Not sure which of them is "less SAAB".
IMHO I would say the 9-7x. 9-4x may have a Caddy Frame but it has an Saab Motor with interior and exterior very unique to the Saab and not the SRX

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Yes...Love Saab and Volvo.

Owned a 2007 Saab 93 Aero, pretty impressive for what it was. Still toy with the idea of picking up a 95 or 93 Sportcombi to play with.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I absolutely LOVE the pre-1994 Saab 900 coupe. Never ever owned one but if my garage was big enough....

Not that there is anything wrong with a Chevy Trailblazer or Subaru WRX, what GM did with the badge engineering at Saab was sacrilege! I blame their demise on GM. Then again I blame a lot of the world's ills in GM��

·
Registered
193 Posts
My current car is a 2010 SAAB 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD.

I've really enjoyed the car. I purchased it new in 2010 and the ownership experience has been a rollercoaster. In some ways the car is truly world class (ergonomics, interior lighting) and the car has "presence". But SAAB really rushed the car into production and never got the engine/transmission set-up quite right. The transmission is super sluggish and when paired with a car with tons of turbo lag (think Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) it can be a bit frustrating. My Aero is tuned by VTuner so it produces 330HP and 400 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My current car is a 2010 SAAB 9-5 Aero 2.8T XWD.

I've really enjoyed the car. I purchased it new in 2010 and the ownership experience has been a rollercoaster. In some ways the car is truly world class (ergonomics, interior lighting) and the car has "presence". But SAAB really rushed the car into production and never got the engine/transmission set-up quite right. The transmission is super sluggish and when paired with a car with tons of turbo lag (think Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde) it can be a bit frustrating. My Aero is tuned by VTuner so it produces 330HP and 400 ft-lbs.

Agreed on all of that haha, Also have Vtuner. 9-4x is coming up on 90k miles soon so I will have to do a decent bit of maintenance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts