Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it wishful thinking on my part or have the number of threads on problems starting to decline? Reid Bigland recently claimed that the car is fundamentally sound, it was just suffering from software bugs, which have now been swatted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well ... that has been my experience as well. Mostly software ... stupid stuff though. A 5 year old doing QA software could have caught most of it. Having said that, the service experience has been a let down. It seems like dealerships and their service departments have no clue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an early issue with the sunroof refusing to open. The service mechanic had no idea and so I was told a tech from Alfa in Detroit flew done. Problem was software. Seems like the service department is learning as they go along.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Alfa is faced with a real dilemma. They know that the earlier produced cars have certain recurring software issues. For mine, it was the heavily discussed "service electronic throttle" fault that puts the car into limp mode. It is an easy and rapid fix completed with a simple software update, and one that the dealers should be catching before selling the cars. But many simply don't do their homework, and they send these cars out on the street where they will eventually fail.
Alfa's dilemma is they can't issue any kind of recall, because it will be the death of the car. They are just riding out this wave of initial failures, knowing that it will eventually die down as those early, unaddressed vehicles gradually trickle in for their fix. Maybe we are reaching the end of the trickle period.
My car has been flawless other than that, and it is an absolute joy to drive!

Reactions: 407Guy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Very early to tell, I'd think FCA has done their rigorous testing especially if they want this car to succeed. Cars are built so differently these days, when those old Italians were built they were hand built, the bodies weren't prepped right for painting. Now everything is automated, the car isn't as overengineered as the competition. If the car is broken in properly, maintained properly, I do not think there is a reason to suggest poor reliability. These cars are solid, the engines sound good not as noisy as other 2.0 liter turbos in the same class and the transmissions are reputable. I just question one thing...is a carbon fiber driveshaft prone to failure as opposed to a standard driveshaft made out of steel/aluminum? We'll see let's enjoy the cars and let the people drool over them...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
A point was made in another thread that reimbursement to the dealers for the software update could not happen until a titled owner for the car was established (meaning until it was sold) and until that titled owner presented with a problem, at which point, the software update could be implemented and billed to the factory.....

I received my car in May and my understanding is that the update was done but when I compared my software version (via the infotainment menu) to the most current, it was NOT what I had....I've had no issues with my car....I called my dealer based on info in a different thread and he stated I was fully updated...that was a month ago....I just called him again and I am scheduled to go in this Friday to have 3 flash updates performed...I've had no problems and I hope I don't regret this decision.....D

·
Registered
735 Posts
A point was made in another thread that reimbursement to the dealers for the software update could not happen until a titled owner for the car was established (meaning until it was sold) and until that titled owner presented with a problem, at which point, the software update could be implemented and billed to the factory.....

I received my car in May and my understanding is that the update was done but when I compared my software version (via the infotainment menu) to the most current, it was NOT what I had....I've had no issues with my car....I called my dealer based on info in a different thread and he stated I was fully updated...that was a month ago....I just called him again and I am scheduled to go in this Friday to have 3 flash updates performed...I've had no problems and I hope I don't regret this decision.....D
What a moronic process! Only good for lowering any customer satisfaction survey rating.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The RRT software updates (rapid response transmittal) should be completed by the dealer prior to sale. Cars that arrived April-May-June were most affected as April was the time-frame when the "oh ****" software patch was issued.

A lot of the TSB's are customer complaint only (which involves ownership) and, more or less, related to feature quirks only.

The auto-start was an RRT. My car is an early production and never had any faults. Knock on wood, the update did not break anything either.

The car starts and runs like a raped ape every time. TMI, ha!

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Ask the M3 guys! They are well aware and become slightly agitated when they see the "M3 LOL" tag.

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
56 Posts
Alfa is faced with a real dilemma. They know that the earlier produced cars have certain recurring software issues. For mine, it was the heavily discussed "service electronic throttle" fault that puts the car into limp mode. It is an easy and rapid fix completed with a simple software update, and one that the dealers should be catching before selling the cars. But many simply don't do their homework, and they send these cars out on the street where they will eventually fail.
Alfa's dilemma is they can't issue any kind of recall, because it will be the death of the car. They are just riding out this wave of initial failures, knowing that it will eventually die down as those early, unaddressed vehicles gradually trickle in for their fix. Maybe we are reaching the end of the trickle period.
My car has been flawless other than that, and it is an absolute joy to drive!
The 'dilemma' also has a $$ dimension. How many recall $$ can they afford and stay financially viable. Maybe they're not reaching the end of the trickle in period, seems many of the so called fixes aren't doing what they claim to do.

Some folks like me come here to do a little research and fact finding before making a decision to buy. My decision to buy a Giulia is on hold until I see recalls that assure me they're serious about customer service.

Paul

i

·
Registered
547 Posts
The 'dilemma' also has a $$ dimension. How many recall $$ can they afford and stay financially viable. Maybe they're not reaching the end of the trickle in period, seems many of the so called fixes aren't doing what they claim to do.

Some folks like me come here to do a little research and fact finding before making a decision to buy. My decision to buy a Giulia is on hold until I see recalls that assure me they're serious about customer service.

Paul

i
You are just like all the other Trolls like Cyirus, Verrrilli and other chicken little's. The sky has not fallen on the Qv or Giulia no matter how hard you folks tried... the car is sound had a few minor software hiccups but faced them and resolved them.. It has been a pleasant past week without any TROLLS on this Forum. Face it the Giulia is A FORCE to be recommend with and that has everyone else shaking in their boots.... The large force of us that can afford this Luxury Italian Beast creates envy for the less fortunate.....

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Very early to tell, I'd think FCA has done their rigorous testing especially if they want this car to succeed. Cars are built so differently these days, when those old Italians were built they were hand built, the bodies weren't prepped right for painting. Now everything is automated, the car isn't as overengineered as the competition. If the car is broken in properly, maintained properly, I do not think there is a reason to suggest poor reliability. These cars are solid, the engines sound good not as noisy as other 2.0 liter turbos in the same class and the transmissions are reputable. I just question one thing...is a carbon fiber driveshaft prone to failure as opposed to a standard driveshaft made out of steel/aluminum? We'll see let's enjoy the cars and let the people drool over them...
Interesting question about the CF drive shaft. I wonder if it behaves differently in torsional waves? One "feature" of NB Miatas was drive train slap, or torsion waves in the driveshaft on clutch engagement. The power plant frame helps fight this and make a killer performance chassis but the sound remains. You don't feel it as much as hear it. The U joints are rugged and are fine for the life of the car but under the right condition, like low speed on a slight hill, you can make the driveshaft torsion spring and slap a little. Open diff on the LS model I have may also be a part of it.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I would hope less issues, but I had the Infotainment update and the blank (or black) nav screen is back (one of the problems the update was to fix) and to have it come back on the car has to be off long enough to do a complete reboot. While driving 200 miles with blank nav and going thru settings found that Nav was grayed out and Foward Collision Warning was grayed out also. There were no error messages. Next morning everything was working again.The Infotainment software is not stable and now it's starting to look like other software is not stable. Dealers release cars with older software because Alfa won't pay unless the customer complains. I also have the AC issues that also has a update for that problem. My Giulia TI build date is March 29th.

·
Registered
241 Posts
FWIW
I brought the issue of ECU flash updates up with the salesman yesterday. He claimed that they update all of the cars to the latest software before they are sold.

Now this was a salesman. On a test drive. And I've had salesman promise me everything short of 72 virgins whilst out on a test drive so I'm going to take it with a giant fistful of salt.

When/if I do buy a Giulia I will pester the bejebus out of them to make sure it is updated before I drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think once they have a "titled owner" you will be able to have the software update....
Buy a Giulia...your life will improve ...!!!!

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Build date??

I am wondering if the cars built after that April date mentioned in the TSB is a key factor in this. Perhaps they got the programming right, but installing it retroactively is still an issue.
I frequently see comments from people indicating when their car was built. How do you determine the build date? It's not on the window sticker, and I don't recall seeing it on the door sticker. Do you somehow look it up through the VIN number?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts