Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just treated my car with a full suite of Gyeon products, and I’m kind of disappointed in the way hand oils smudge on the finish. Is this a typical characteristic of ceramic coatings?

Specifically, I washed the car with Bathe+, did a light polish with Polish, and used Prep to make ready for Can Coat, which I applied in two layers. The next day I applied Cure, and a couple of days later did a pressure wash and applied Wet Coat.

I guess because of the high sheen, finger print smudges are very highly visible and noticeable in a way I’ve never seen before. Anywhere hands might fall in entering and exiting the car and closing the door get really smudged.

Is there a way to defeat the effect?

·
Registered
691 Posts
I just treated my car with a full suite of Gyeon products, and I’m kind of disappointed in the way hand oils smudge on the finish. Is this a typical characteristic of ceramic coatings?

Specifically, I washed the car with Bathe+, did a light polish with Polish, and used Prep to make ready for Can Coat, which I applied in two layers. The next day I applied Cure, and a couple of days later did a pressure wash and applied Wet Coat.

I guess because of the high sheen, finger print smudges are very highly visible and noticeable in a way I’ve never seen before. Anywhere hands might fall in entering and exiting the car and closing the door get really smudged.

Is there a way to defeat the effect?
I had my car recently done in opti coat pro ceramic. I can tell you that fingerprints on the black trim at the doors are very noticeable now. But I keep a micro fiber towel handy and they wipe right off.

Reactions: chaadster

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my car recently done in opti coat pro ceramic. I can tell you that fingerprints on the black trim at the doors are very noticeable now. But I keep a micro fiber towel handy and they wipe right off.
Yes, same for me, on the black B pillar and window trim. Wiping the car so much is gonna make me develop OCD, though! I wonder if there is a solution.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yes, same for me, on the black B pillar and window trim. Wiping the car so much is gonna make me develop OCD, though! I wonder if there is a solution.
White gloves? ?

Not sure...I'm guessing part of the ceramics properties creates micro ridges that the oil from prints sits in. I guess you could put some xpel type film there. But I'm already OCD so I got that going for me.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I agree with all of the above. I notice right after the cQuartz finest reserve was applied it was also a dust magnet. A couple washes and it will get better because apparently with all the poishing and rubbing it gets a positive? Charge. In any case that was annoying. The Rosso Comp is not so OMG a finger print but I always use door handles don’t touch the B pillars but nothing can prevent a print for the gas door. I do use a knuckle but I am very aware of watches rings as well. My B pillars are filmed because I could see brush marks for the first wash. So the film thankfully filled those in so the B pillar always looks perfect.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Did you apply the film over the ceramic? If so any issues with adhesion?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I recently did the whole Gyeon thing myself and I’ve become obsessive with the car cleanliness. The car looks great though, my shoulders are in tip top condition, and I’m sure the neighbours think I have OCD.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Did you apply the film over the ceramic? If so any issues with adhesion?
For mine the ceramic went on top of the film.

1. Paint Correction
2. Film
3. Ceramic all paint, wheels, calipers, windows.

The ceramic will be an extra level of protection against the UV yellowing prematurely especially in our climate here.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
We should have a new thread "ALFA OWNERS OCD Experiences" I am a real fanatic about dusting the cars every day. We don't get rain here and when we do it was a good day to roll the car out of the garage for a good drenching and then I just would dry them off in the garage. Now the detailers were like "DONT PUT YOUR FINGERS ON THAT CAR" okay, so now I have to use gloves. We still have not given her a bath since her first detail. I do a waterless wash weekly (spray detail) windows, wheels and interior.

Now I take the car for the first time to the dealership right. I gave them the same instructions the detailer gave me. The service manager said "YOU DO KNOW WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TOUCH YOUR CAR TO FIX IT DON'T YOU!!!!!"

I SAID OF COURSE THAT IS WHY I AM LEAVING YOU THESE GLOVES :O) He just laughed.

·
Registered
691 Posts
We should have a new thread "ALFA OWNERS OCD Experiences" I am a real fanatic about dusting the cars every day. We don't get rain here and when we do it was a good day to roll the car out of the garage for a good drenching and then I just would dry them off in the garage. Now the detailers were like "DONT PUT YOUR FINGERS ON THAT CAR" okay, so now I have to use gloves. We still have not given her a bath since her first detail. I do a waterless wash weekly (spray detail) windows, wheels and interior.

Now I take the car for the first time to the dealership right. I gave them the same instructions the detailer gave me. The service manager said "YOU DO KNOW WE ARE GOING TO HAVE TO TOUCH YOUR CAR TO FIX IT DON'T YOU!!!!!"

I SAID OF COURSE THAT IS WHY I AM LEAVING YOU THESE GLOVES :O) He just laughed.
Funny! I won't let my dealer clean the car which they would normally do after service. I did let them clean the wheels and vacuum the floor mats. But that's it!

I've been using opti waterless wash....stuff is fantastic. Mist a section with spray bottle, wipe off with microfiber then immediately dry with a thick plush microfiber and two spritzes of opti seals a sealer and drying agent. If there's more heavier dirt then I'll rinse car first to get heavy stuff off. But with this method, no buckets to mess with, and no water spots as we have really hard well water.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Funny! I won't let my dealer clean the car which they would normally do after service. I did let them clean the wheels and vacuum the floor mats. But that's it!

I've been using opti waterless wash....stuff is fantastic. Mist a section with spray bottle, wipe off with microfiber then immediately dry with a thick plush microfiber and two spritzes of opti seals a sealer and drying agent. If there's more heavier dirt then I'll rinse car first to get heavy stuff off. But with this method, no buckets to mess with, and no water spots as we have really hard well water.
OH NO> I HAVE DO NOT CLEAN SIGNS ALL OVER THE CAR. Can't trust them with the Carbon Fiber on the QV and the Sparco's so don't want them near it with a vacuum cleaner. They just have to touch the car to open the hood or trunk. I really do put a little bag of gloves on the seat with a smiley face. They totally see me coming and my husband is always there to apologize and grab some popcorn.

By the way we use the same process just different product. I will check the OPTI waterless. I am using CarPro Waterless. Same thing. Soft microfiber swipe with a mist and then a swipe with the buffer towel. I think the CarPro H2O is a little more filming then my meguiars I use on my other cars. This whole ceramic nano coating and what stuff you can use is driving me nuts.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I'm a clean freak with my car but some of you guys and girls are way overboard. Really, gloves with a smiley face?>:)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I'm a clean freak with my car but some of you guys and girls are way overboard. Really, gloves with a smiley face?>:)
It was a joke because they told me the last time "Oh, we will use gloves and our pinky finger" so I simply was providing a response. Gloves to a Mechanic, I would be asking for a fault code to be thrown in the middle of no where. There are certain people you don't mess with. My Vets and the Techs that work on my cars

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,954 Posts
For mine the ceramic went on top of the film.

1. Paint Correction
2. Film
3. Ceramic all paint, wheels, calipers, windows.

The ceramic will be an extra level of protection against the UV yellowing prematurely especially in our climate here.
Similar here but no correction required. Xpel plus Ceramic Pro Gold, professionally installed. I use Opti no rinse and I have never gone a whole week without the car getting dirty enough to need to be thoroughly hosed down as the first step of washing.

I haven't noticed finger prints being particularly bad on the paint, but my car is white and I do not stick my fingers on the black door frames. I also keep my fingers off of the glass.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Similar here but no correction required. Xpel plus Ceramic Pro Gold, professionally installed. I use Opti no rinse and I have never gone a whole week without the car getting dirty enough to need to be thoroughly hosed down as the first step of washing.

I haven't noticed finger prints being particularly bad on the paint, but my car is white and I do not stick my fingers on the black door frames. I also keep my fingers off of the glass.
Glory of living in Arizona. Plus she does not drive all that much during the week. We got our first rain in about 3 months yesterday but she was in the garage. I don't put my fingers purposely on the car and neither does my husband. Because of the dust it is easy to see where they are if you do it by accident. The detailers said fingers are rough on the paint.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Glory of living in Arizona. Plus she does not drive all that much during the week. We got our first rain in about 3 months yesterday but she was in the garage. I don't put my fingers purposely on the car and neither does my husband. Because of the dust it is easy to see where they are if you do it by accident. The detailers said fingers are rough on the paint.
There are no bugs or dirt or roads getting repaved in Arizona?

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
No roads being repaved (if they are I avoid them) and bugs are minimal. We took an 8 hour road trip and the windshield wasn’t spattered with bugs nor the grill.

Growing up in Chicago I couldnt’ go a week without a wash but probably went two weeks.
But the dirt in Arizona (dust storms) is on the news way over here.

·
Registered
386 Posts
But the dirt in Arizona (dust storms) is on the news way over here.

This’ll freak you out then. Mine on her first day out of the showroom- Google took us on a big dusty Aussie road through the King Valley in Victoria. The worst bit was a farmers’ ute flying along the rocky road heading toward us. I pulled over as far as I could and closed my eyes. No rocks.

Giulia Veloce. Stromboli Grey, Remus catback, red calipers, HK, black sports leather, sunroof. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
Full ceramic, vulcano black, in AZ during dust season.

This was a big, big mistake. You can measure how long the car stays clean after a detail with a clock. I'm not kidding. Garaged, etc. etc.

PS close your doors with your palms on the top corner of the door. Problem solved.

PS again: I'm covering the car in carnuba shortly- this dust is ridiculous. If this is the result of Ceramic, never again. I really don't need it anyhow. I am careful with my paint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts