Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of units sold in the US in April dropped a bit from March, mostly due to Stelvio sales.
Here are the numbers.
Giulia: March 1284, April 1123
Stelvio: March 1270, April 702
Total sold: March 2576, April 1847

At least all of the April sales numbers are better than the February numbers.
Hopefully the big drop in Stelvio sales is just due to the recall stop sale period.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
It might also be due to tax time. Sales might be better in May when those who are getting a tax refund get their refund back.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the problem with that stop sale is it probably will affect next month too (even though it's already ended) - it just doesn't go over well if you go to buy a car and they say "sorry, can't sell them" - even when it was proactive to avoid future issues.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,172 Posts
Anyone know what Alfa said they *expected* to sell?

(Note: I'd only be concerned if their expected sales differ greatly from actual sales.)

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,441 Posts
everybodys sales were down (US, Japanese) except Jeep, so yes maybe tax time had something to do with it
I can't help but wonder how much that April snow helped Jeep sales.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
857 Posts
The number of units sold in the US in April dropped a bit from March, mostly due to Stelvio sales.
Here are the numbers.
Giulia: March 1284, April 1123
Stelvio: March 1270, April 702
Total sold: March 2576, April 1847

At least all of the April sales numbers are better than the February numbers.
Hopefully the big drop in Stelvio sales is just due to the recall stop sale period.
Well, it would have been only 1,122 Giulia's if I hadn't bought mine in April :)

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
857 Posts
https://www.instagram.com/p/BiXbvXeh9uy/?tagged=stelvioquadrifoglio

the sound of this 33 is why we need Alfas - and if you click back to the (stelvioquadrifoglio) main page, you'll wonder how a dealer expects to sell cars when they can't spell the name
congrats ALPHA OF ARLINGTON! 9 frames tagged all over the internet
All sorts of typos on the internet: Here is a magazine that can't spell Quadrifoglio: http://motorhub.ie/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifolio-review/
And then some young lady asked what kind of car I had. I replied "it's an Alfa Romeo", at which she said is that like an "Alpha Male" ? :)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
How many of those Giulia sales were MY2017s that the dealers are still trying to dump? Most all other brands have ended their year end sales, but serious bargains are available for Giulia if you want to buy a new one year old car.

Niello Alfa/Maserati reported to me that their AR allocation is Stelvio heavy. They have 10 Giulia in stock (7 are MY2017), but 53 Stelvio. It has been similar for several months, so this is not a result of the stop sale order.

IIRC Stelvio outsells Giulia 2:1 in Europe, but apparently not so in the USA.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And the Stelvio was going to give AR traction in the USA for its longevity.

Ugh... that ratio is not what AR wanted (or needs).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm surprised at the Giulia #s - some of the larger dealer website I look around on from time to time, have a decline in the number of Giulia's in stock - many dealers have no base cars and no sports, just Tis. What explains the decline in stocked cars? Are dealers just leaving them at the ports, have they reduced production or imports to trim inventory?

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm surprised at the Giulia #s - some of the larger dealer website I look around on from time to time, have a decline in the number of Giulia's in stock - many dealers have no base cars and no sports, just Tis. What explains the decline in stocked cars? Are dealers just leaving them at the ports, have they reduced production or imports to trim inventory?
I was looking around at the inventory for the dealers here in the NW and they have greatly reduced their MY17 inventory and what 18 inventory they got in at the first of the year. Not much showing on the lots for anything right now.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Alfa must be moving to the BMW model - BMW dealers stock few cars now, most are build to order. Even for lease. My 2 prior BMW leases - I leased from dealer stock, it was relatively easy to find something in stock, and that allows you to shop in the last month of your outgoing lease and be fairly confident to get something from stock to roll into. But last year's lease - I had to order a car, which means you can't wait until the month your lease is up to start shopping. BMW has a very good supply chain model for ordering/building your car - but still the wait at the port to be picked up by a boat takes weeks.

Alfa must be going the same way - less stock, which means more custom orders. I wonder though since its a "new" brand, if that will work for them, or if they need more impulse buyers who want to buy from stock for immediate satisfaction.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
re Stelvio sales, a few of you missed that AR did a stop sale for about half the month so all vehicles could be retrofitted with improved water/weather stripping.

it's hard to sell cars when you can't sell them, so the low stelvio numbers shouldn't be viewed as a trend.

·
Registered
51 Posts
3700 Stelvios in Europe in March. That was on par with a BMW X3. 1800 out of 3700 were with 2.2 liter 210 HP diesel engine.

I'm still wondering why Stelvio is tanking with US sales. Of-course reviews of Giulia in US media were much more positive compared to reviews of Stelvio.

And they said US is a SUV market...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm still wondering why Stelvio is tanking with US sales. Of-course reviews of Giulia in US media were much more positive compared to reviews of Stelvio.
I think the Alfa enthusiast buyers in the USA will almost always pick the Giulia over the Stelvio. We know Alfa as a sports car and sports sedan company, not an SUV company, so those of us who know what an Alfa is are going to gravitate more to the Giulia.

I'd say as a whole, Alfa USA has done a poor job at building brand awareness and hasn't done a sustained or cohesive marketing campaign. There was a period of time last year, that I hadn't seen an Alfa commercial on TV for months. Alfa invested billions into the fantastic Giorgio platform, yet they don't seem to be putting the necessary investment into what needs to be done to reintroduce and reestablish Alfa in the USA.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts