Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apple just announced at WWDC that ACP will allow 3rd party nav apps. They prominently show Waze and Google Maps among others...

That’s the beauty of not being frozen in time with a car’s built-in electronics which never really change...

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
woo that is so cool! I think I will go for a car with Apple Carplay installed, not prewired.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
That’s the beauty of not being frozen in time with a car’s built-in electronics which never really change...
Exactly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have enjoyed my experience using Google Maps for navigation far beyond any other nav program. The thought of running Waze on the dash has me on the edge of my seat!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have enjoyed my experience using Google Maps for navigation far beyond any other nav program. The thought of running Waze on the dash has me on the edge of my seat!
Try not to get too excited but I rewatched the ACP announcement and they flashed Waze on Screen.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Fingers still crossed. I am just not gonna hold my breathe.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The announcement was they were opening up the platform to 3rd party nav apps. The 3rd parties still have to develop the apps. Google owns Waze and they already have apps on iOS devices so there’s little incentive for them not to allow their use on ACP. Also Apple doesn’t show just anything on the big screen, they already must have had permission to do so and chances are Google Maps and Waze were already in development if not already completed already. I’m tempted to install the development betas but I hate doing that on my everyday phone...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also people like to play up Apple and Google being competitive and hating each other but every google engineer I’ve ever met used a Mac laptop and in 2017 the big G paid Apple $3Billion large simply to keep google the default search on iOS devices. Apple makes software to sell hardware. Google makes software to sell your eyeballs for ad dollars, YOU are the product for them, so they just want to be in as many places as possible to keep your eyes bringing them $$$

1 - 8 of 8 Posts