Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
Update on post #150: The company balked at giving me a refund, so I persisted with trying another reinstall and it seems to be working now, but not flawlessly. Of the few trips I've made recently - about 6 starts/stops, one time it did not connect. The next time I restarted it, it connected immediately, so fingers crossed it keeps working.

I do have a question for all: since I now seem connected, I plan to pair my wife's phone as well - how does CarPlay2 deal with both of us in the car with our phone's - simply choose from the menu which phone to connect?
Maybe I should try mine again, too. Any new update or anything which may have changed?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Maybe I should try mine again, too. Any new update or anything which may have changed?
Assuming it is not a hardware issue with your device, try to connect to the vendor's website for an update. My understanding is that if an update is available, it will be downloaded.

Firmware update instructions

1. Connect your phone to the adapter (via buetooth and wifi) and wait until CarPlay appears on the screen.

2. Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.”

3. If you see an update available, click it.

4. Wait until the update bar reaches 100%.

5. When CarPlay reappears on the screen, you’re done!

Let us know if yours works correctly again.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
Assuming it is not a hardware issue with your device, try to connect to the vendor's website for an update. My understanding is that if an update is available, it will be downloaded.

Firmware update instructions

1. Connect your phone to the adapter (via buetooth and wifi) and wait until CarPlay appears on the screen.

2. Enter 192.168.50.2 in your browser and click “Go.”

3. If you see an update available, click it.

4. Wait until the update bar reaches 100%.

5. When CarPlay reappears on the screen, you’re done!

Let us know if yours works correctly again.
Yeah, I've checked for and done updates before, but was curious if anything had come out recently.

I did plug it back in today, and it was working for a quartet of short trips, although the sound was choppy, like it had a fluttering connection.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have wireless carplay in my BMW. I prefer the wired method. In the wireless, there is a small lag and when using navigation is noticeable and you have to plan for it. It isn't terrible but is there. Also, it can be finicky at time and doesn't want to connect, takes a while to connect or randomly disconnects. I don't like if I step out of the car to do something quickly that involves the phone and it disconnects from the car. When I get back in the car it takes awhile to connect... IF it does connects. I had instance where it doesn't connect back and I try to do it manually and it fails to connect. When this happens, I have to delete the phone from the car and delete the car from the phone and set it all up again.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Weird. Mine connects every time. Usually takes about 15-20 seconds.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Weird. Mine connects every time. Usually takes about 15-20 seconds.
When it connects, it connects fast...almost instantly which is 95% of the time as long as I don't brake the connection by walking away from the car with my phone. When I walk away, is a pain to get it to connect again every time. I used to do it when I wanted to warm up the car. Now I just leave the phone inside the house if I know I'm going back in.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have been using mine with no problems for a while. #fingers crossed. How do you update it? do you usb it from the device to the phone And then it just updates itself or does it do it wirelessly?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have been using mine with no problems for a while. #fingers crossed. How do you update it? do you usb it from the device to the phone And then it just updates itself or does it do it wirelessly?
Look at post #162 in this thread. FYI, My first update was via USB (suggested by the company) the second wireless (also suggested by the company).

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ordered the CPlay2Air, did not realize that they ship directly from China... like literally on a boat rn

·
Registered
227 Posts
I got mine in about 10 days
Just received mine this afternoon--installed and working on both vehicles in under 4 minutes. Took about 10 days as well!

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
227 Posts
Took the Giulia out for 100 miles or so today with the CP2A and at first things were great. Used Waze and Music—about 20 mins into the trip, I had some audio drops and when looking at Waze, the maps were all garbled and pixelated, as were the icons to the left of the screen.

Once stopped, I unplugged and replugged the dongle in, it connected and everything looked flawless.

Drove without Music and only used Waze.

About 20 mins in it again garbled and pixelated the screen. This time, I switch from CarPlay to the Alfa Menu and back—resolved the issue; but, it got worse again and again.

At one point Waze was simply frozen until I toggled between the Alfa menu and CarPlay.

I checked for updates and there were none.

I’m going to drive the Stelvio tomorrow (different CP2A unit) and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

iPhone 11 Pro Max.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
204 Posts
Installed today, I’ll stop short of calling it a piece of chit but it’s close. 50 days from order date to delivery. Setup was simple and checking for any updates it shows up to date. Connects fast enough the downfall is when playing any music (apple / amazon) whatever song it plays first is what will always show above the speedometer and the infotainment main screen if you have it set to split screen, in the actual CarPlay screen it’s correct (it changes with each song). I sent a log to them but based on their responses to the long shipping time I’m guessing this issue is being caused by Covid-19

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the same experience with the names of songs on the screens. I contacted them via email about this and another issue. They replied in about 24 hours - always seems to take that long given time zones. At any rate, they ignored my question about song titles and addressed my other issues.
My solution was the obvious work around - I changed the setting in the Alfa software so the song title doesn't appear in the instrument cluster and primarily only use the CP screen when listening to music/podcast. The recent improvements to CP by apple has made the screen better looking. It has taken very little time to get used to listening/viewing this way and had forgotten about my complaint until I read your post.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Installed today, I’ll stop short of calling it a piece of chit but it’s close. 50 days from order date to delivery. Setup was simple and checking for any updates it shows up to date. Connects fast enough the downfall is when playing any music (apple / amazon) whatever song it plays first is what will always show above the speedometer and the infotainment main screen if you have it set to split screen, in the actual CarPlay screen it’s correct (it changes with each song). I sent a log to them but based on their responses to the long shipping time I’m guessing this issue is being caused by Covid-19
I had this same issue with an Android device connected directly as well. I don’t think it’s an isolated issue with this device—I think it’s an Alfa bug.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When I use AlfaConnect bluetooth or plug my phone in without CarPlay2Air the track info changes on the smaller infotainment screen. So there's some inconsistencies there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Welcome to the forum, DzoniS.
The problem here is with an aftermarket device called CarPlay2Air which allows for wireless ACP - is that the device you are having an issue with?

·
Registered
66 Posts
argh i missed this thread and ordered a unit about 2 months ago.. still waiting on shipment. The tracking says it had cleared custom on 16th and on way to usps for delivery... i hope it's worth the wait...

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
204 Posts
argh i missed this thread and ordered a unit about 2 months ago.. still waiting on shipment. The tracking says it had cleared custom on 16th and on way to usps for delivery... i hope it's worth the wait...
Unfortunately it’s not worth the wait
Mine took another week or two after showing it had cleared customs

161 - 180 of 186 Posts