Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

141 - 160 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You might as well plug it in then :D
The whole point of wireless carplay is to leave it in your pocket...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I agree, if You have to take the phone out of your pocket and open the center console then just plug it in and save $150. I am definitely getting one of these. Thanks to all the testers!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Navigation apps tend to drain battery if not charging. I run Waze all the time when I'm in the car.
But I agree, plugging in is not a big deal.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This is true. I got the wireless dongle because I want to leave the phone it in my pocket since I'll forget it and leave it in the car most of the time. The wireless charging thing in the center console is more because I'm clumsy/lazy and don't want to mess with a cable on the odd occasions when I do need to top off. I also just realized that I have an extra 10w charging pad, so I can test it out without spending another dime. It's not a charge-through-the-surface variant, but the tray is so thin I'll bet it works.

In terms of burning through battery, I drove 170 miles last week with wireless CarPlay active using Waze and it only dropped 5% over the 2.5 hours. It's an iPhone 11 Pro, so older models may vary, but I would have thought it'd drop more. Now that and streaming music would possibly double the burn. I'll test that on my next drive to our HQ in NoVA and report back.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Agree with @TGPhilly On newer phones, battery drain is a non-issue. On older phones, it could definitely be an issue. I have an iPhone 11, so no battery drain problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Question. Someone else connected their phone to the wireless CarPlay module, and now their phone name shows up on-screen every time I start my car to connect. It’s not an actual problem because it connects to my phone with no problem, but I’m just trying to figure out how to clear everything out so I don’t see that phone name pop up every time. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Question. Someone else connected their phone to the wireless CarPlay module, and now their phone name shows up on-screen every time I start my car to connect. It’s not an actual problem because it connects to my phone with no problem, but I’m just trying to figure out how to clear everything out so I don’t see that phone name pop up every time. Anyone have any ideas?
If you are still looking for an answer -- highlight the name of the phone and then hold down the control knob until you are asked to confirm if you want to delete this phone.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,602 Posts
Well, my CarPlay2air has broken already, and is not connecting with the phone consistently, among other issues. It seems to get hung up in the communication protocol, sometimes connecting to the phone and immediately dropping, or sometimes going black and doing nothing. I think it's having trouble generating a wifi signal. Sometimes a quick unplug/replug will fix it, sometimes it needs to be unplugged longer. In any case, it's not working properly, and I checked for updates; I was unable to navigate the web browser to its IP addy, which is one of the reasons why I think it's having wifi trouble.

It was pretty nice while it lasted. I'll reach out to the company to see if they can offer a remedy.

·
Registered
116 Posts
@chaadster My experience has been similar, if not worse. After the initial install I connected wirelessly once and then struggled there after. I also paired my wife's phone and she also had trouble connecting. I contacted the company via email (using the form on their site) and received a response that suggested I unpair all other BT devices on my phone, and try again - it was a one sentence reply. That tactic didn't make any sense to me so I replied asking them to elaborate, and also asked if I connected using this unpairing method, once I started re-pairing other devices wouldn't I run into the same connection problems all over again. Here is the response I got:

Kindly unpair all the devices connected to your phone and car's Bluetooth including your car. Then follow the setup instructions.

Setup instructions:
  1. Turn on the Bluetooth and WiFi networks on your phone.
  2. Make sure your phone is not connected to any other WiFi or Bluetooth networks and remove the hands-free connection from your phone and car system settings.
  3. Plug the adapter into the CarPlay USB port.
  4. Wait for the interface to appear on the screen.
  5. Click the search button.
  6. Select the phone you want to pair the adapter with (or connect via the Bluetooth displayed on the screen).
  7. Select "Pair" on your phone when the notification appears.
Let me know what happens.
I gave it a try and it worked, but not initially. Once I discovered a setting (iOS 13+) in the WiFi section called "Low Data Mode", I shut it off and this allowed me to connect -- I was smiling, but only for one day. After that it took multiple start/stops each day before it would connect. I wrote back to them last night asking for a refund, but haven't heard back yet (seems as if each email takes about 24 hrs to get a reply). I also discovered on their site that their return policy is 15 days! -- I'm way past that.

I would also add that when it was connected, I wasn't thrilled with the performance compared to hardwired. There was always a slight delay, which i found annoying, but would have gotten used to it if the device had been more reliable. Most of my trips are under 10 miles and a wireless connection was something I was excited about, but this device is not the answer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I just ordered one! Fingers crossed. I work out of my car/home. This will be a game changer for me if it works!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just ordered one! Fingers crossed. I work out of my car/home. This will be a game changer for me if it works!
My device works fine with the ocassional reboot necessary (unplug/replug). It connects between ~2 secs and ~12 secs depending on the last state of the phone and Apple Car Play.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just reporting in that mine is still working without issue. Connection generally takes about 8-12 seconds and I have needed to reboot it a couple times for non-connection. Haven't had any issues with lag or audio since the last update a few weeks ago, but one of the reboots required has been since then.

Sounds like they may have some inconsistent quality control. Hopefully they take care of those who have broken.

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine will be here Friday. I can’t wait. Is there anything I need to do before just plugging it into the car?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine will be here Friday. I can’t wait. Is there anything I need to do before just plugging it into the car?
Follow the instructions to set it up - there is a bluetooth and wireless connection components. The instructions are not great, but adequate. I bought mine a while back and have had two updates, the first via USB port, the second connected to their website. You may need an update or not.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mine got here today and works great! This thing really changes things for me. I will now use carplay.

Reactions: Gator1

·
Registered
247 Posts
Update: This thing is pretty rock solid. It has worked every time I have used it. If you have carplay then I think that this is a solid investment. It has totally changed the way that I use the infotainment system! Totally worth the investment 3 days in. I love it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Update on post #150: The company balked at giving me a refund, so I persisted with trying another reinstall and it seems to be working now, but not flawlessly. Of the few trips I've made recently - about 6 starts/stops, one time it did not connect. The next time I restarted it, it connected immediately, so fingers crossed it keeps working.

I do have a question for all: since I now seem connected, I plan to pair my wife's phone as well - how does CarPlay2 deal with both of us in the car with our phone's - simply choose from the menu which phone to connect?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I actually use mine in my Giulia, and my 2018 Ram. Back and forth. It changes the name on the bluetooth list depending which vehicle. Also, the Ram is not a supported vehicle . But works great, just have to unplug and replug if remote start is used to.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

141 - 160 of 186 Posts