Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to connect an iPhone to Apple Carplay wirelessly, or must it be tethered via USB?

·
Registered
360 Posts
USB only

·
Registered
246 Posts
The bandwidth needed for car play/Android Auto is super high. Bluetooth doesn't cut it properly in any vehicle.
I believe that BMW is the only company that has it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Apple Car Play works wirelessly in the Mini Clubman. It should work the same way in an Alfa. The whole idea is that it be wireless.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Apple Car Play works wirelessly in the Mini Clubman. It should work the same way in an Alfa. The whole idea is that it be wireless.
No, that's not the idea. BMW owns Mini and uses the same base of the entertainment system. Note this is also an OPTION in the mini.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is no good technical reason for the CarPlay not to work wirelessly. It does not take enormous bandwidth. If BMW can do it then of course Alfa could do it. It is ridiculous to require the wired connection.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wireless CarPlay does sound appealing; the way that it works in BMWs (and Mini, using the parent company's system) is to use BlueTooth to establish and authenticate a private, in-car WiFi network which supplies the necessary bandwidth to send 60fps HiDPI video signal to the car's screen. No way of architecting it otherwise unless 1) BT gets substantially faster or 2) the whole architecture is changed away from full-screen refreshes. Keep in mind on newer units with touchscreens you also have to send touch and scroll events with zero latency back to the phone itself.

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
The bandwidth needed for car play/Android Auto is super high. Bluetooth doesn't cut it properly in any vehicle.
Curious. How much data is CarPlay using. I am assuming if it is on navigation and always pinging off different towers it is probably the same as the phone but wondering if you have seen an increase with usage.

We have very limited plans for personal use. The corporate device is unlimited and I don’t closely monitor but when it is hotspot enabled and active it goes through the roof.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Wirelss Carplay/Auto uses the Miracast-protocal over WifiDirect, just like AirPlay or Chromecast Screensharing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracast

It does require a specific chip in the headunit, like BMW possibly has and a few aftermarket headunits for 2din-holes.
Not a software upgrade coming to Giulias already built :)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don’t understand about the desire for wireless ACP with the constant streaming of data that is going to run your battery down quickly and require removal from your pocket to charge anyway, even so if you have a wireless charging system. Also do you really want a wireless device in your pocket tranmistting lots and lots of data, generating all the requisite radiation and heat next to your family jewels? Also phones plugged into a power source usually kick the gps’ sampling rate up a few notches for better accuracy and response time compared to the lower power state when not being attached to a power source. Wireless ACP on the surface looks great and convenient but for navigation and a multitude of other scenarios it’s a big negative...

·
Registered
59 Posts
Maybe check this out -

·
Registered
766 Posts
Maybe check this out -

That's very interesting. I wonder what the distinction is between ACP in my March 2018 build 2.0 Q4 versus the 2019/2020 models it states as being compatible with?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I suspect @Martyn that if you have a working ACP in your car, this product will work as well, As far as I can see, it replaces the USB-cable solution with a wireless to USB-cable solution so the behavior should be the same.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I just ordered one. I have a 2018 Stelvio built date 04/18 with ACP that works fine via USB. Provider of the wireless ACP solution assures me that it will work. I will report back later.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I just ordered one. I have a 2018 Stelvio built date 04/18 with ACP that works fine via USB. Provider of the wireless ACP solution assures me that it will work. I will report back later.

Excellent! - I have an 04/18 Giulia and am pretty sure it will work, but I eagerly await your findings... I really like the idea.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don’t understand about the desire for wireless ACP with the constant streaming of data that is going to run your battery down quickly and require removal from your pocket to charge anyway, even so if you have a wireless charging system. Also do you really want a wireless device in your pocket tranmistting lots and lots of data, generating all the requisite radiation and heat next to your family jewels? Also phones plugged into a power source usually kick the gps’ sampling rate up a few notches for better accuracy and response time compared to the lower power state when not being attached to a power source. Wireless ACP on the surface looks great and convenient but for navigation and a multitude of other scenarios it’s a big negative...
Wireless ACP + Wireless charging = ease of use.

In my case I would get in, drop my phone on the wireless charger int he center console and be off. Once I get somewhere i just grab my phone and go. No fussing with plugs and cables. Also, my beautiful co-pilot is often grabbing the phone to put in destinations, way points, change music (its always faster on the phone then on the ACP system), etc.

Reactions: STV3
1 - 20 of 186 Posts