Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will sound strange, but I plugged in my iPhone one day and CarPlay worked fine. I have a 2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4. I hadn’t used it in several weeks and tried again yesterday. CarPlay would not pop up automatically as it did before. I went through the menus and couldn’t find it. However, I did see Android auto listed. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
If the car thinks your iPhone is an Android, you have a serious problem with the infotainment system.

I can scarcely believe it could happen; you didn’t plug in a Android phone, did you?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Maybe your iPhone elected to identify as Android that day?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the car thinks your iPhone is an Android, you have a serious problem with the infotainment system.

I can scarcely believe it could happen; you didn’t plug in a Android phone, did you?
Never plugged in an Android. I don’t think I even know anyone who owns one ?. JK!! The cable seemed to be the issue. But it is strange that Android would be listed and not CarPlay. Thanks for the response though!

·
Registered
81 Posts
It worked! Thanks Jerry! It is so odd because the cable I’ve been using works to charge the phone. I replaced it with a new cable and it worked.
It does seem like CarPlay has a different set of requirements/standards when it comes to the cable you use. Not surprising when you consider it has to essentially send the entire screen to the car's infotainment unit. Probably the first troubleshooting tip for CarPlay should be trying a $$$ official Apple Lightning cable (or an approved vendor such as Belkin.)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
It worked! Thanks Jerry! It is so odd because the cable I’ve been using works to charge the phone. I replaced it with a new cable and it worked.
Glad it worked. Damaged or poorly shielded cables are more of a problem with a high bandwidth application like CarPlay.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I’ve never, ever heard of a cable switching operating systems.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I’ve never, ever heard of a cable switching operating systems.
I think the OP wrote that he couldn’t find any evidence of CarPlay in the car’s sub menus and saw something for Android Auto, not that Android auto was up and running with the iPhone connected...

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I think the OP wrote that he couldn’t find any evidence of CarPlay in the car’s sub menus and saw something for Android Auto, not that Android auto was up and running with the iPhone connected...
I don’t believe there are any “submenus” visible unless the system is active though.

CarPlay doesn’t appear in the menu until an iPhone is plugged in, and I’ve been through every single menu, tab, push, and click in that car and never seen an indication of Android Auto anywhere.

Certainly if the features were apparent in some submenu, with all the consternation over ACP/AA, someone would have pointed it out.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Maybe, not sure 100% but if the cable’s data wires are damaged or the shielding is compromised, even worse and potentially catastrophic if power lines cross with data, with a high bandwidth application like CarPlay a bunch of unexpected things can happen. Who knows...

·
Registered
81 Posts
There actually is a setting for Android Auto even when no phone is connected -- it's to control whether the screen is in Light, Dark, or Auto mode.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
There actually is a setting for Android Auto even when no phone is connected -- it's to control whether the screen is in Light, Dark, or Auto mode.
Oh, I missed it? Sorry... I can't recall seeing it, I don't think, but I'll go refamiliarize myself.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Maybe, not sure 100% but if the cable’s data wires are damaged or the shielding is compromised, even worse and potentially catastrophic if power lines cross with data, with a high bandwidth application like CarPlay a bunch of unexpected things can happen. Who knows...
True, but like I said, I've never heard of an Android or Apple operating system being misidentified as the other because of a cable. That seems super unlikely to me.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Ok, sorry...yes, Settings>Infotainment>Android Auto. This is visible without a phone being connected.

Well, at least it wasn't a cable fault causing that to show up, which is good news, because that explanation didn't make any sense to me.

Now, I wonder if availability of that setting is a reliable indicator that ACP/AA is enabled in a car? It seems, prima facie, like it would be.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts