Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

501 - 520 of 520 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thankfully I found this thread last night and read the whole thing. What an adventure, but definitely something I’ve been looking for. I understand that ENG and KAP experience random black screens, but has there been any update to address the issue from either company?

Does RF also have the black screen issue?

I looked up the website for thecarplayer.com and this device looks like a simple plug in play but the cost is the highest at $570.

Thank you everyone in this thread for giving my 2017 hope

-Armando

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
396 Posts
Thankfully I found this thread last night and read the whole thing. What an adventure, but definitely something I’ve been looking for. I understand that ENG and KAP experience random black screens, but has there been any update to address the issue from either company?
I have the KAP unit and when I discussed it with them they stated my unit was defective and that I should remove it from the car and mail it to California and then they would mail a replacement. I'm not willing to do the uninstall without the replacement unit in hand so I can do a direct swap and they are not willing to ship it without receiving the old one. I even offered to pay for the replacement and they could refund when they got the old one back but no dice. The install is just too hard to remove everything and reattached to the factory ECM while I wait for them to ship a new one. KAP did release a firmware update but I havent gotten around to installing it and others said the black screen occurs with the new firmware.

I personally have started to wonder if the black screen has to do with heat. I live in Texas and it seemed to happen more when my car had been parked out in the sun. Just a theory, could be totally wrong and nothing I can confirm until I have it installed from the Nov to March time frame.

Reactions: AmerikMasters

·
Registered
15 Posts
I reached to to 2 companies inquiring about their products for Car Play in the Alfa, KAP and The Car Player.

First is the reply from Kap: www.kaptrader.com

Sorry for late reply.

First of all, Price is u$250.00 (not include shipping cost)
But, Please check this and reply to me. if you need purchase.

We sold Afla Romeo carplay over 300pcs from this year. But, some customers (under 10) have some small issue. and this problem only happened on 8.8inch car. not happened on 6.5" car.
Sometimes, when start engine, oem screen is black. and shut down car and wait few min, then restart car, then screen is ok.
I got this news from customers (4 customers) and they said, not happened always, just sometimes..
and we found the problem, and we can solve problem on the car. but Recent Covid-19 situation, we cannot flight .
We work with Japan Alfa Romeo dealer shop, So we have a car, but we cannot do now.
and There is no Alfa Romeo car in Korea..

I tell you this, because of you cannot update by yourself. it have to send to us then we have to update your board.
that's why, it's not easy.

So, if you can wait until update. (We don't know when we can visit to Japan), then please ask me on few months later.
or, if you can keep a risk, and if your car have a 6.5" then you can purchase now.

I will wait your reply !

Thanks
KAP
The second is where I reached out to the car player with questions.
I am interested in the model for the Alfa Romero Giulia, but had a few questions.

1. What comes with the carplay module in terms of content?
2. Have there been any issues such as a black screen randomly, glitches, etc.
3. Can you update the firmware on the device?
* If so, how often are updates released?
* Where can customers obtain the update?
* How do you install the update?
4. Can Apple Carplay or Android Auto work wireless, wired or both?
5. If they can be connected wired, does the unit come with a USB cable and where is it installed?
6. How are calls handled with the unit? Can it work with the OEM mic or does another mic need to be installed?
7. I just want to reconfirm that the steering wheel work 100% with the device functionality.
8. What is the material of the chassis for the device?
9. Does this module work seamlessly with the OEM Infotainment system (reversing OEM camera, etc)?
10. The installation mentions the steps and it looks easy to install. All i need to do is plug and play and place the unit next to the OEM device?
11. What is the best location to place this device to avoid overheating, etc?

I have a lot of questions and this is definitely an investment so I need to ensure this fits my needs
This is the reply is received from the car player.

Hello.

1. You get everything you need to set it up (carplay module & wires)
  2. Our modules are premium quality and we haven’t received any complaints yet.
  3. Yes, but its not necessary because you get the latest ones. If theres a new version available contact us.
  4. Apple Carplay can work both wireless and wired and Android auto can only work wired.
  5. Yes, you do get an usb cable. And you plug it on the module.
  6. Yes, everything goes via the OEM mic.
  7. Steering wheel controls are 100% compatible.
  8. Aluminium chasis.
  9. Yes, Carplay is just an addition to your OEM system.
  10. Yes, the installation is really quick and easy (Plug and play)
  11. Wherever you feel comfortable but we install it under the steering wheel because it has a lot of space.

Best regards,

Sales Dep.
www.thecarplayer.com
Carplay solutions for your car

I am weighing both options between both companies. Kap is around $300 shipped and The Car Player is $569.00 plus tax and shipping. But based on the instruction guide and the pictures of the product from The car player, it looks easier and everything compliments the OEM system. No need to install another mic as well.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I reached to to 2 companies inquiring about their products for Car Play in the Alfa, KAP and The Car Player.

Thanks for the info on the KAP module! I haven't gotten the info about the direct update to the board. Maybe I'll send mine in at some point. Good luck on your choice and I hope it all works out for you.

Reactions: AmerikMasters

·
Registered
69 Posts

The second is where I reached out to the car player with questions.

This is the reply is received from the car player.

Hello.

1. You get everything you need to set it up (carplay module & wires)
  2. Our modules are premium quality and we haven’t received any complaints yet.
  3. Yes, but its not necessary because you get the latest ones. If theres a new version available contact us.
  4. Apple Carplay can work both wireless and wired and Android auto can only work wired.
  5. Yes, you do get an usb cable. And you plug it on the module.
  6. Yes, everything goes via the OEM mic.
  7. Steering wheel controls are 100% compatible.
  8. Aluminium chasis.
  9. Yes, Carplay is just an addition to your OEM system.
  10. Yes, the installation is really quick and easy (Plug and play)
  11. Wherever you feel comfortable but we install it under the steering wheel because it has a lot of space.

Best regards,

Sales Dep.
www.thecarplayer.com
Carplay solutions for your car

I am weighing both options between both companies. Kap is around $300 shipped and The Car Player is $569.00 plus tax and shipping. But based on the instruction guide and the pictures of the product from The car player, it looks easier and everything compliments the OEM system. No need to install another mic as well.

Does this really work? It looks so simple to do. Backup camera will still work?

Curious

Thank you,
Ray

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does this really work? It looks so simple to do. Backup camera will still work?

Curious

Thank you,
Ray
The systems are built to allow the original factory ECM to take over for back up camera etc. Kap allows you to install another backup camera if you want full screen etc but I can't think of a way to do that cleanly so I never considered it.

While it looks simple to do it is challenging. Its not easy to get in position to remove the necessary panels to gain access to the ECM and the connectors are firmly connected and also difficult to access. The bolts to remove the ECM were almost frozen in place on my unit. Extremely difficult to remove. The smaller the person doing it the better I would say. If you read this entire thread you will find detailed descriptions of the installs and the challenges faced. Any of the products on offer are installed in the same place.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've read through this entire thread before previously and thought somebody said there was 1 unit that allowed you to connect wirelessly with android. Did I imagine it, or did it happen? As they only have one USB input and I'd still like a USB hard drive attached I need android to be wireless or the unit to have 2 USB inputs (one for phone and one for hard drive).

·
Registered
396 Posts
Is the Kap Unit working ok with IOS14, just about to update...
So far it’s been perfect. The maps apps changes from day to night which did not work properly before.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've read through this entire thread before previously and thought somebody said there was 1 unit that allowed you to connect wirelessly with android. Did I imagine it, or did it happen? As they only have one USB input and I'd still like a USB hard drive attached I need android to be wireless or the unit to have 2 USB inputs (one for phone and one for hard drive).
Mine does wireless mirror on Android. Kremersino unit sold on Aliexpress.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Question on KAP, do you guys have audio dropouts when listening to music when using wireless carplay. My workaround is to use car BT. Its like a drop in voltage causing it? most noticeable when applying brakes but not always. Never had a black screen, sound when wireless is the only issue. Are the other options more reliable? I got mine installed professionally , wonder if they installed the antennas, they told me they did. Wired works flawlessly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Question on KAP, do you guys have audio dropouts when listening to music when using wireless carplay.
I did when I installed it . Tried wireless for a couple of weeks. I then turned off wireless and now only use wired.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I did when I installed it . Tried wireless for a couple of weeks. I then turned off wireless and now only use wired.
Thanks. Cant remember where i read this, but apparently the original firmware was changed as the iPhone was getting hot while charging/connected, so they dropped some sort of power figure in the newer firmwares (I know some users are saying phone slightly discharge when driving with maps and music on) , I wonder if they went too much the other way.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
I have never used the wireless set up as I have an android phone. I have some bad news for those of us who have the KPLAY KAP unit. I emailed them about the ongoing intermittent black screen that requires the car to be turned off and locked. They said that due to COVID, they cannot go to Japan and that is what they need to do to work on a software upgrade. Until then they are holding off on selling any more of these units...

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yes they also said to someone above that when they do have the fix the unit has to be removed and sent to them for the software install. Personally I’d buy another unit with the fix or another brand and drop it in. I’m not willing to go through the disconnect KAP / reconnect ECM and back again. It was hard enough to do the first time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have never used the wireless set up as I have an android phone. I have some bad news for those of us who have the KPLAY KAP unit. I emailed them about the ongoing intermittent black screen that requires the car to be turned off and locked. They said that due to COVID, they cannot go to Japan and that is what they need to do to work on a software upgrade. Until then they are holding off on selling any more of these units...
Ah that sucks... the black screen still happens but probably 1 in 20 times i use the car... I wonder if the KAP unit will allow for wirless android auto when android 11 is rolled out, as this is meant to be a new feature of the new operating system.

501 - 520 of 520 Posts