Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

461 - 480 of 503 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
This sounds perfect. I wonder where microusb connection for the armrest USB is. Would be ideal to connect that so it became the carplay usb hidden away. I also don’t like having my phone on the dash, or rather I hate seeing loose cables.

So did you run it along the inside by the drivers leg and then drill a hole for the Eng-custom usb connector to go through into the cubby?

·
Registered
59 Posts
This sounds perfect. I wonder where microusb connection for the armrest USB is. Would be ideal to connect that so it became the carplay usb hidden away. I also don’t like having my phone on the dash, or rather I hate seeing loose cables.

So did you run it along the inside by the drivers leg and then drill a hole for the Eng-custom usb connector to go through into the cubby?
nope...nothing drastic, yet. I have those custom floor mats that go half way up, so I just tucked the wire there and the "head" peaks out. Once I heal up from all the contortions ( :ROFLMAO: ), I might look into trying to connecting the console USB...I know I'll need some sort of extension in order to reach that far, though.

Reactions: Giuliadave

·
Registered
178 Posts
So I just bought a Carplay module from these guys (they posted here before) and it works like a charm! They've been really fast to respond to my questions (via email) and the module was quick and easy to install by using this tutorial that they provide Carplay installation tutorial on Alfa Romeo Giulia

100% would recommend.
Where did “they” post here before? Any details on your install other than you are “100% satisfied”? How about some photos of your car during install?

You just joined the forum 20 minutes ago and your first post is to shill products for some company? Personally, I would go with one of the established companies if adding CarPlay to my 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
9915624B-6E31-444D-AA17-DB5CF2592B00.jpeg

It’s done!

Took about an hour If I ignore me hesitating to remove the trim as the instructions aren’t right for RHD cars (basically we just pull - no screws). Did a full write-up on Alfa-owner if any future RHD fitters want to see the differences.

Ended up going for Eng-custom as someone was selling theirs after changing their mind on fitting - customer service is excellent, they spent a good half an hour with me on whatsapp so I could clarify a couple of things and change to RHD carplay (flipped image). Highly recommended.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Where did “they” post here before? Any details on your install other than you are “100% satisfied”? How about some photos of your car during install?

You just joined the forum 20 minutes ago and your first post is to shill products for some company? Personally, I would go with one of the established companies if adding CarPlay to my 2017.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
True . With so many trolls and scammers around it's always a good idea to earn some credibility on this forum by posting photos of your own car

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
391 Posts
View attachment 102173

It’s done!

Took about an hour If I ignore me hesitating to remove the trim as the instructions aren’t right for RHD cars (basically we just pull - no screws). Did a full write-up on Alfa-owner if any future RHD fitters want to see the differences.

Ended up going for Eng-custom as someone was selling theirs after changing their mind on fitting - customer service is excellent, they spent a good half an hour with me on whatsapp so I could clarify a couple of things and change to RHD carplay (flipped image). Highly recommended.

Congrats Giuliadave! Welcome to the fold!

Reactions: Giuliadave

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys ordering Eng-Custom from their site? Just curious about US shipping and price in USD.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You guys ordering Eng-Custom from their site? Just curious about US shipping and price in USD.
You can do a Euro to Dollar check on Google. If you are using PayPal, they might have a different rate. The ordering process is a bit different...you place the order on the site and then you will get an email confirming...then you will get another email with payment information consisting of their pay account info... I used Paypal and had no issues. It took 6 calendar days for mine to arrive.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Silly question time for ENG-custom guys...When you go to the website to check for updates it asks for an order code. Is that the Order N. xxx? If so, is it the xxx (the numbers after N.) or N. xxx? I ended up sending an email to them asking the question, but they came back with, basically, "you have the current software", but they didn't answer the question concerning what my actual order code was or how to find it.

In related news, I also asked about wireless Android Auto, and they said it is coming in a future update.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Silly question time for ENG-custom guys...When you go to the website to check for updates it asks for an order code. Is that the Order N. xxx? If so, is it the xxx (the numbers after N.) or N. xxx? I ended up sending an email to them asking the question, but they came back with, basically, "you have the current software", but they didn't answer the question concerning what my actual order code was or how to find it.

In related news, I also asked about wireless Android Auto, and they said it is coming in a future update.
They could be referring to Android 11 supporting wireless AA across the board. Not sure what manufacturers need to do, but this could be just a software change on Google's side.

·
Registered
59 Posts
They could be referring to Android 11 supporting wireless AA across the board. Not sure what manufacturers need to do, but this could be just a software change on Google's side.
I was asking the ENG users that have updated their firmware what they used as the order code.

I get the software change...the wireless AA isn't what I was asking about....that was a separate thing to let ENG users that wireless AA is supposedly coming in a future update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
With the ENG system, can I listen to the Sirius radio while using the CarPlay feature? Or do you have to switch from radio to aux and stream music from an app? I would like to be able to use the map app while keeping the Sirius on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the ENG system, can I listen to the Sirius radio while using the CarPlay feature? Or do you have to switch from radio to aux and stream music from an app? I would like to be able to use the map app while keeping the Sirius on.
I know Sirius just added "everywhere" access to my subscription (I think it is Mostly Music), so I can now use the Sirius app on my phone, and there is a shortcut on Android Auto, so in my case yes. I'd imagine if you already have app access on your phone and Carplay supports it, you should be good to go with the ENG.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know Sirius just added "everywhere" access to my subscription (I think it is Mostly Music), so I can now use the Sirius app on my phone, and there is a shortcut on Android Auto, so in my case yes. I'd imagine if you already have app access on your phone and Carplay supports it, you should be good to go with the ENG.
I have the Sirius app too. Love it. Just want to avoid using data to listen to Sirius/radio when I already have it in my car. Not having owned a car with CarPlay before, I am not as familiar with the functionality.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the Sirius app too. Love it. Just want to avoid using data to listen to Sirius/radio when I already have it in my car. Not having owned a car with CarPlay before, I am not as familiar with the functionality.
Ah...I misunderstood your question...I just did a quick test, and yes, you can listen to the car's Sirius and use the map from the ENG, however, there will be no audio from the ENG (so no audible directions or alerts from the ENG).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ah...I misunderstood your question...I just did a quick test, and yes, you can listen to the car's Sirius and use the map from the ENG, however, there will be no audio from the ENG (so no audible directions or alerts from the ENG).
Oh good. That makes it worth getting one now. Thanks for checking!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've just received a box from a different supplier, Kermersino on Aliexpress. Arrived in 6 days and was £265.00. Photo attached of contents. Looks very similar to other boxes.

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've just received a box from a different supplier, Kermersino on Aliexpress. Arrived in 6 days and was £265.00. Photo attached of contents. Looks very similar to other boxes.
yep...Looks exactly like what I got from ENG (including the box it came in). The only difference would be the instructions.

461 - 480 of 503 Posts