Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

321 - 340 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I feel you on that. I felt that I was trying out to be an acrobat ha ha. Congrats on the install! Enjoy CarPlay and let us know how it goes. I finally got my screen replaced as the original one had failed and had crazing everywhere so I'm enjoying CarPlay even more now!
Result ... did the dealer not try an blame the screen on the aftermarket install or had you already logged the issue?

Feel more at ease searching through Amazon music on a bigger screen now too

Back to work Tuesday so that will be my first real time to have a play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
Result ... did the dealer not try an blame the screen on the aftermarket install or had you already logged the issue?
I had not officially logged the issue. It was a physical issue with the screen. The layers used to attach the screen to the outer layer actually slowly separate creating lots of tiny lines all over the screen. They replaced the screen no questions asked. I didn't mention the aftermarket install.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
202 Posts
Installed the RFCarsystem yesterday, took me a couple of hours as I was trying to be ultra cautious with trim etc.

Everything went ok following the helpful guides on here.

The lower trim was actually different to the installation instructions I have a RHD late 2017 Veloce. However it was fairly easy to remove as it was only held by plastic rivets and spring clips.

I didn’t bother with the centre console USB, I just positioned the CP USB socket near the OBD socket and ran a lightning cable over the transmission tunnel to where I normally mount my phone.

If I need to do an update then I’ll just plug jump drive in near OBD

I put the mic behind the Alfa mic in the headliner as somebody else did in a previous post.

Really like it ... I’m left handed so that makes navigating easy on a RHD car.

Wow I was aching afterwards, I got my body into positions that it hadn’t been in for quite some time

Looks like you reinstalled your dashboard backwards...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought the ENG-Custom module for my early build 2018 Stelvio. It was shipped very quickly...i got it a few days after ordering.

The install is a bit of a bitch, not technically, just because of lack of room in the footwell. My hands are all cut up, lol. But it's done and I love it. It's very responsive and everything works perfectly.

Also the guys at ENG-Custom are fantastic. I had a bit of an issue so I messaged them and got a reply back in 30 seconds, literally. He walked me through the issue and stayed with me until I verified all was working.

20200523_173004.jpg

20200523_173037.jpg

20200523_173056.jpg

20200523_173129.jpg

20200523_173135.jpg

·
Registered
305 Posts
I bought the ENG-Custom module for my early build 2018 Stelvio. It was shipped very quickly...i got it a few days after ordering.

The install is a bit of a bitch, not technically, just because of lack of room in the footwell. My hands are all cut up, lol. But it's done and I love it. It's very responsive and everything works perfectly.
Congrats on the install! I agree it isn't easy but worth it for sure. Glad to hear ENG-Custom is responsive!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agreed...there was a lot of yelling and throwing things, but it was well worth it. Not having Android Auto was a huge disappointment, especially since the Alfa salesman incorrectly told me it could be added with an update.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Agreed...there was a lot of yelling and throwing things, but it was well worth it. Not having Android Auto was a huge disappointment, especially since the Alfa salesman incorrectly told me it could be added with an update.
I feel you on the yelling. I had to take too several breaks during the process to calm the nerves. Reports kept saying that CarPlay and AA were coming in an update from Alfa Romeo, a few videos surfaced of functional CarPlay, use of the touch dial (even on an official alfa YouTube video) and of course traffic and map updates. As you know CarPlay and Android Auto came eventually but the update require buying a new car so that was out haha. I've never understood why Alfa just totally ignored the nav system in the US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel you on the yelling. I had to take too several breaks during the process to calm the nerves. Reports kept saying that CarPlay and AA were coming in an update from Alfa Romeo, a few videos surfaced of functional CarPlay, use of the touch dial (even on an official alfa YouTube video) and of course traffic and map updates. As you know CarPlay and Android Auto came eventually but the update require buying a new car so that was out haha. I've never understood why Alfa just totally ignored the nav system in the US.
😂 I'm not laughing at your pain, I'm laughing because I did the same thing. I had to walk away three times for a while to calm down. I was ready to smash something trying to get the purple connector off of the head unit. I think it took me an hour of trying different things and contorting my body in different ways. I couldn't reach the stupid clip in the back and on top of that even when I managed to snake my arms up there to reach the retention clip the plug was super tight. When I'd pull on the plug the head unit just pulled up. So I had to somehow hold the head unit with my right hand and snake my left hand through the little compartment hole all whilst laying my ribs over the sill plate. My ribs are killing me.

I built a 57 BelAir from the frame up and consider myself fairly capable...but man, this install gave me all I could handle. In hindsight I would have paid someone to do it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That's a very nice looking interface. Honestly nicer than with the KAP unit I have
I was torn on which one to get. I decided on the ENG-Custom module because I wasn't clear if the Kap unit could do split screen. I saw someone say no, but also saw a supposed pic of a kap split screen. Anyway...I knew the other one could so I decided not to gamble and ordered the ENG. Plus they were very responsive to my messages both when I had questions before I ordered and with support after I installed it. Good service goes a long way with me.

I'll report on performance and reliability after I use it for awhile. I'll also try to get one of my friends with an iPhone to see how well the wireless works for Carplay.

😵 Ughhh! As I was typing that I realized I forgot to hook up the wifi antenna. I'm tempted to say screw it, but I want it there for future use and for passengers.

son. of. a. bitch.

*Me walking back down to the car tomorrow with my tools, cut up hands and busted ribs

tenor.gif

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great work, I’m still sore today after completing it on Friday. The Stelvio must’ve been even harder with it being higher off the ground ouch I feel your pain.

·
Registered
305 Posts
😂 I'm not laughing at your pain, I'm laughing because I did the same thing. I had to walk away three times for a while to calm down. I was ready to smash something trying to get the purple connector off of the head unit. I think it took me an hour of trying different things and contorting my body in different ways. I couldn't reach the stupid clip in the back and on top of that even when I managed to snake my arms up there to reach the retention clip the plug was super tight. When I'd pull on the plug the head unit just pulled up. So I had to somehow hold the head unit with my right hand and snake my left hand through the little compartment hole all whilst laying my ribs over the sill plate. My ribs are killing me.

I built a 57 BelAir from the frame up and consider myself fairly capable...but man, this install gave me all I could handle. In hindsight I would have paid someone to do it.
Oh wow I'm impressed that you got the plugs off with the ECM somewhat still up in the dash at all! I used a tiny screw driver to push the retention clip in to free the purple connector. But I managed to get the ECM completely out into the floorboard so I could position it for full access to the clip. That was scary because I kept worrying that I was going to damage a cable as it was putting some tension on them. It also created an entire different problem as I had to work all the cables back up inside in the right orientation as I put the ECM back in. Either way its not easy!

·
Registered
305 Posts
😵 Ughhh! As I was typing that I realized I forgot to hook up the wifi antenna. I'm tempted to say screw it, but I want it there for future use and for passengers.

son. of. a. bitch.

*Me walking back down to the car tomorrow with my tools, cut up hands and busted ribs

OH NO! Man I'm sorry you forgot the wifi antenna! Maybe you can get it in place by only removing the cubby next to the steering wheel?

I actually attached the KAP unit to the WRONG SIDE of the ECM and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the ECM to slide back up into the rails. Then I realized that I had flipped the ECM. I called it a day at that moment and then removed the KAP unit from the wrong side and got everything including the ECM and cables positioned properly the following day. It was incredibly frustrating haha.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OH NO! Man I'm sorry you forgot the wifi antenna! Maybe you can get it in place by only removing the cubby next to the steering wheel?

I actually attached the KAP unit to the WRONG SIDE of the ECM and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the ECM to slide back up into the rails. Then I realized that I had flipped the ECM. I called it a day at that moment and then removed the KAP unit from the wrong side and got everything including the ECM and cables positioned properly the following day. It was incredibly frustrating haha.
That's exactly what I'm hoping. I'm going to remove the cubby and see if I can get to it. If not the cubby is going back in and I'm going back to the couch to worry about it another day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@Stelvio1973 I’m laughing with you

So without the wifi antenna have you just connected via bluetooth and cable? ... I’m trying to suss out the best connection for me given that I always connect the cable to my phone when I get in the car ... I think the medical term is called “chargophobia”

And what about Alfa Connect ... what’s everyone doing with that, reason I ask is I received a call through CarPlay but the sound didn’t come through until I selected CarPlay as the reception device on my phone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Stelvio1973 I’m laughing with you

So without the wifi antenna have you just connected via bluetooth and cable? ... I’m trying to suss out the best connection for me given that I always connect the cable to my phone when I get in the car ... I think the medical term is called “chargophobia”

And what about Alfa Connect ... what’s everyone doing with that, reason I ask is I received a call through CarPlay but the sound didn’t come through until I selected CarPlay as the reception device on my phone.

I'm just using the usb connection to the ENG-Custom module and bluetooth to the Alfa unit. Wifi doesn't work with Android Auto anyway so the cable is my only option. But I'd like to have the antenna installed for future use. Im not sure about the Kap unit, but with the ENG-Custom module I can be in Android Auto and when it get a call it automatically routes the mic and bluetooth sound to the original Alfa system. It's seamless and I like it that way.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Cheers ... I think Eng and RF Carsystems are very similar in functionality... I’m gonna ditch the wifi connection and just use cable and Alfa Connect.

Other than that I’m really impressed with the gadget ... especially now that my bruises have gone

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cheers ... I think Eng and RF Carsystems are very similar in functionality... I’m gonna ditch the wifi connection and just use cable and Alfa Connect.

Other than that I’m really impressed with the gadget ... especially now that my bruises have gone

I'm glad your bruises are gone, I'm still hurting. My muscles feel like I've done 6 hours worth of squats, my hands are all scratched up, and my ribs are bruised 😂

·
Registered
305 Posts

With the KAP unit I have my phone paired to Alfa connect with the telephone profile only. I removed the music profile. I am not using the wifi as I found it to be a less solid connection than USB cable. When I get a call the screen flips to the alfa connect system and it uses the built in mic. If I want to see the CarPlay interface I have to do a long press on menu. I tried the KAP mic with no connection to the alfa system but people I would call said the audio quality was not as good.

I feel you on the bruises ha ha. I think all the install pain makes me appreciate the results even more.

·
Registered
305 Posts
KAP trader responded to my email about the black screen. They would like a video emailed to them if this happens to anyone again. Yeah, I know. Video of a black screen.
I had the black screen issue today again with KAP. I filmed the issue showing me pressing buttons, long presses on Menu, long press on power button, middle knob etc. Emailed them with the video, I'll let you know what they reply.

321 - 340 of 391 Posts