Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

301 - 320 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
The installation is simple. Takes maybe 30 mins with proper tools to install. The differences are about the hardware and software being implemented on the module.
Alex I can see the install taking 30 minutes for someone that is an install expert that often removes car panels and cables etc. However for me it was a multi hour install as I do not have experience in this area and also am not a small person so crawling around in the footwell and getting the factory ECM out to where I could see all of the plugs was a challenge. I think if I were to do it a second time it would take me about 90 minutes or so. In my opinion it is completely doable for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with these things but does take time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Alex I can see the install taking 30 minutes for someone that is an install expert that often removes car panels and cables etc. However for me it was a multi hour install as I do not have experience in this area and also am not a small person so crawling around in the footwell and getting the factory ECM out to where I could see all of the plugs was a challenge. I think if I were to do it a second time it would take me about 90 minutes or so. In my opinion it is completely doable for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with these things but does take time.
With all due respect to your effort, our expert takes 10 minutes max to do the job.
I know the installation for some other similar products require the installer to remove the screen in the middle.
We provide instructions to our users, you are totally right about even a guy without any experience would have it done, just need more patience.

·
Registered
305 Posts
With all due respect to your effort, our expert takes 10 minutes max to do the job.
I know the installation for some other similar products require the installer to remove the screen in the middle.
We provide instructions to our users, you are totally right about even a guy without any experience would have it done, just need more patience.
10 mins! wow! Does that include running the mic inside the rear view mirror unit and connecting the USB below the AC? Either way its impressive and I can tell your installers are skilled.

All I could think about as I was manipulating the ECM was that I'm dealing with wires attached to the wiring harness of the vehicle and if I pulled to hard, twisted something to far or damaged a pin or connector that it was going to be an expensive repair ha ha. I did take it very very slowly just for my comfort as much as anything. Also I was working in a hot garage so it was a tiring task.

·
Registered
20 Posts
10 mins! wow! Does that include running the mic inside the rear view mirror unit and connecting the USB below the AC? Either way its impressive and I can tell your installers are skilled.

All I could think about as I was manipulating the ECM was that I'm dealing with wires attached to the wiring harness of the vehicle and if I pulled to hard, twisted something to far or damaged a pin or connector that it was going to be an expensive repair ha ha. I did take it very very slowly just for my comfort as much as anything. Also I was working in a hot garage so it was a tiring task.
We simply place the mic below the space of the steering wheel. Recently our customers reported that there would be some interference on some models which installed the paddle aftermarket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@MorganB ; Great work

I also have RF Carsystem £365 (inc 4% Paypal fee) delivered.

Arrived yesterday, will fit on Friday.

I chose RF because I felt more confident in future updates, having read this whole thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
426 Posts
KAP trader responded to my email about the black screen. They would like a video emailed to them if this happens to anyone again. Yeah, I know. Video of a black screen.

·
Registered
305 Posts
What would be really useful is a video of each system showing the installation. I'd love to see the step by step for each. That would really prove whose is easiest to install and also how long it takes.

Honestly Vesparider I think they all take about the same time. They are all units that piggyback on the existing ECM under the drivers side steering column and require the same plugs to be disconnected / reconnected. We do have some photos that are basically step by step contributed by members.

·
Registered
305 Posts
KAP trader responded to my email about the black screen. They would like a video emailed to them if this happens to anyone again. Yeah, I know. Video of a black screen.
Good to know. If it happens to me again I'll video it and show myself doing long presses on menu and the power for the unit with no response.

·
Registered
305 Posts
@MorganB ; Great work

I also have RF Carsystem £365 (inc 4% Paypal fee) delivered.

Arrived yesterday, will fit on Friday.

I chose RF because I felt more confident in future updates, having read this whole thread.

Thanks! I hope the install goes well! Let us know what your impressions are !

·
Registered
83 Posts
ENG told me they will have the update firmware to solve the black screen issue about a week later. He is very helpful I can ask him question anytime by whatsapp and response instantl.

·
Registered
4 Posts
ENG told me they will have the update firmware to solve the black screen issue about a week later. He is very helpful I can ask him question anytime by whatsapp and response instantl.
How is the update made available? Does the system connect to WiFi and download it?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed the RFCarsystem yesterday, took me a couple of hours as I was trying to be ultra cautious with trim etc.

Everything went ok following the helpful guides on here.

The lower trim was actually different to the installation instructions I have a RHD late 2017 Veloce. However it was fairly easy to remove as it was only held by plastic rivets and spring clips.

I didn’t bother with the centre console USB, I just positioned the CP USB socket near the OBD socket and ran a lightning cable over the transmission tunnel to where I normally mount my phone.

If I need to do an update then I’ll just plug jump drive in near OBD

I put the mic behind the Alfa mic in the headliner as somebody else did in a previous post.

Really like it ... I’m left handed so that makes navigating easy on a RHD car.

Wow I was aching afterwards, I got my body into positions that it hadn’t been in for quite some time

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow I was aching afterwards, I got my body into positions that it hadn’t been in for quite some time
I feel you on that. I felt that I was trying out to be an acrobat ha ha. Congrats on the install! Enjoy CarPlay and let us know how it goes. I finally got my screen replaced as the original one had failed and had crazing everywhere so I'm enjoying CarPlay even more now!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice work! I agree about keeping the USB port for updates. You're is supposed to have screen mirroring right? How is that?
Thanks I haven’t tried the mirroring as yet, I think CarPlay has to be disconnected from wifi to do so.
Tbh I have all the apps I need via CarPlay so probably won’t use that function.

301 - 320 of 391 Posts