Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The building date is completely irrelevant, as we're talking about a NAFTA vehicle. All NAFTA MY2018 Giulias have the proper hardware for CarPlay. They'll just flash new firmware and enable the feature via OBD.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Are there any multimedia wiring differences from the 2017 to 2018 Giulias making it more difficult to update the 2017's? Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just checked with the Autobarn Service Center in Evanston, IL. They looked up and could not see any Apple Carplay update or activation notice so they would not be able to enable it if I brought it in at this time. Interesting. Hope yours works out!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I called the dealer on Thursday to "double check" and make sure they had the software because I was concerned it still does not exist, not having seen anyone on this forum mention having received it. The dealer service person checked, and said, we don't have it. So, it was a false report of Apple CarPlay. The ball is back in Alfa's court - they have mangled it so badly.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No, I called the dealer on Thursday to "double check" and make sure they had the software because I was concerned it still does not exist, not having seen anyone on this forum mention having received it. The dealer service person checked, and said, we don't have it. So, it was a false report of Apple CarPlay. The ball is back in Alfa's court - they have mangled it so badly.
WTF.
I hope that you admonished them severely.
In your belief, where / how was this "mistake" made?
Did they offer you an explanation for this mistake.
Was someone at the Dealership misinformed, or did someone just tell you what they thought that you wanted to hear, do they have the firmware ready to install but FCA-Alfa told them, "do not install at this time"??
Did they offer you a "new" date when the install will be available?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Do cars still currently in transit with CarPlay & Android on the stickers come pre-loaded from the factory at this point or will then need to be activated somehow?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Cars manufactured after Dec 11th have it installed + enabled at factory.

A few cars manufactured before that date seem to have had it enabled at port before delivery.

I've seen no reports of anyone who took delivery of a 2018 without CarPlay later getting it enabled. I believe it's up to Alfa to decide when they will give this power to service centers.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Thanks. Does the sticker show the build date? I’m not seeing it if they do show that info...

·
Registered
169 Posts
The window stickers are extremely confusing in this regard. The standard Ti sticker says that the car is "Prewired for ACP/AA" however there are some Ti stickers that break out ACP/AA as a $100 option on the sticker. So now the question becomes, if the sticker says it's prewired, does the car have it if the $100 option (on each btw) is not listed? And if it was installed in the port, is it listed on the sticker? Did you just save $200 because the factory didn't load it? Makes very little sense to me.

·
Registered
216 Posts
The window stickers are extremely confusing in this regard. The standard Ti sticker says that the car is "Prewired for ACP/AA" however there are some Ti stickers that break out ACP/AA as a $100 option on the sticker. So now the question becomes, if the sticker says it's prewired, does the car have it if the $100 option (on each btw) is not listed? And if it was installed in the port, is it listed on the sticker? Did you just save $200 because the factory didn't load it? Makes very little sense to me.
No one's been able to give me an answer to this yet. Alfa support can't tell me if I'm going to have to pay money to add CarPlay later.

Complicating matters, when I placed my order, the order sheet still listed CarPlay as *included* on all Giulia models, not a paid option.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No one's been able to give me an answer to this yet. Alfa support can't tell me if I'm going to have to pay money to add CarPlay later.

Complicating matters, when I placed my order, the order sheet still listed CarPlay as *included* on all Giulia models, not a paid option.
There is a thread that touches on this.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...ple-car-play-android-auto-cost-200-300-a.html
I started it some time ago with the hope that it would become a reference for all of us that have MY18s, and are waiting for the firmware installation to activate ACP-AA.
There is some good info at the beginning of the thread.
It seems that the thread has made a turn and has gone a bit off topic.
Perhaps when ( if? ) Alfa releases the firmware, and we begin to have our cars activated, owners will post their experiences on that thread.
FYI, my dealer rep still states (as of last week) that Alfa HAS NOT set a date to activate the ACP-AA function.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Since Chrysler, Maserati and Ferrari have all have CarPlay already, I think the issue for Alfa is trying to get the useability on a non-touchscreen to an acceptable level. They must not be happy with the interface, which could be the holdup. That’d be my guess.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Since Chrysler, Maserati and Ferrari have all have CarPlay already, I think the issue for Alfa is trying to get the useability on a non-touchscreen to an acceptable level. They must not be happy with the interface, which could be the holdup. That’d be my guess.
It's already shipping and enabled in 2018 Giulias that are being received now.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts