Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAA has done a study and has determined there are significant advantages to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto over carmaker proprietary systems. The details can be found here -- http://macdailynews.com/2018/06/27/...s-vs-built-in-systems-designed-by-automakers/ .

Here is the key conclusion

"Apple CarPlay and Google’s Android Auto are less distracting to drivers when compared to built-in vehicle infotainment systems designed by automakers, according to new research from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety,” Tamra Johnson reports for AAA."

“While many of today’s infotainment systems create potentially unsafe levels of distraction by allowing drivers to perform complex tasks like programming navigation or sending a text, CarPlay and Android Auto were 24 percent (5 seconds) faster on average than the vehicle’s native system when making a call and 31 percent (15 seconds) faster when programming navigation,” Johnson reports. “This difference is critical, as drivers who take their eyes off the road for more than two seconds double their risk of a crash. AAA is encouraged by these findings, as they indicate that popular infotainment systems can be designed in a way that is less distracting. Distracted driving is responsible for more than 390,000 injuries and 3,500 deaths every year.”

_____

The most important benefit is safety. That comes from far greater ease of use. This is the finding of the study. This is why this feature is so important to us 2018 buyers who were promised this feature. Now, I know there will be people saying, "it's just a minor feature. The big thing in an Alfa is the driving." I know this. But the Alfa engine now runs on a very complex computer, just like the information system that shows up on the display. Both are critical and anyone who says otherwise in this day and age of technology is simply being stupid.

I was told 6 weeks ago by my dealer that the CarPlay update would arrive in June. I called last week and was told there was no news. Alfa is truly failing those 2018 customers who waited for the 2018 models because this feature was promised. It is a major blemish on an otherwise excellent car.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes, there will be those who assert that safety and convenience are not important.
And others who assert that this is the only reason they bought the car and laws should be magically changed so Alfa can be sued about leaving out the world's most important feature.

Predictable conversation is predicatable.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Really, falling behind with 2018 Owners...my heart bleeds. We 2017 Owners were promised a software update for ACP/AA when we bought the car...only to have it confirmed in November 2017 that we would never receive that update. I got a surprise for you, you are probably never getting it...and probably never getting any compensation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sympathize with your situation but I do not believe Alfa, the corporation, ever promised Apple CarPlay to 2017 buyers. I may be wrong, but in my research and interactions from July 2017 to November 2017 the sales people I dealt with specifically indicated 2017 cars would not get the feature. Were you promised this by some official Alfa rep?

2018 buyers were promised this by all the sales force and it was stated that it was a feature of all 2018 Giulia's in magazine and in emails from Alfa executives. There is no question about this.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I sympathize with your situation but I do not believe Alfa, the corporation, ever promised Apple CarPlay to 2017 buyers. I may be wrong, but in my research and interactions from July 2017 to November 2017 the sales people I dealt with specifically indicated 2017 cars would not get the feature. Were you promised this by some official Alfa rep?

2018 buyers were promised this by all the sales force and it was stated that it was a feature of all 2018 Giulia's in magazine and in emails from Alfa executives. There is no question about this.
Alfa used the "Works with iPhone" logo in their owners manual. The WFi for the usage of this logo requires certain things, things that have not materialized or have ever worked. FCA promised ACP/AA to 2017 buyers through November of 2017 before finally admitting they wouldn't deliver it. They still insist that certain functions that don't work will work, despite multiple owners reporting the failure to work as described.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I just want to say a) thank you to folks on the forum like @kentfromohio for raising a stink about this and giving me the heads-up to be able to get what I wanted, and b) that I hope someone holds Alfa’s feet to the fire over this, both for the company’s sake and for the sake of those MY18 owners wronged in this fiasco.

Giulia is a very good car made better by Apple CarPlay.

Reactions: MINIME

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Alfa used the "Works with iPhone" logo in their owners manual. The WFi for the usage of this logo requires certain things, things that have not materialized or have ever worked. FCA promised ACP/AA to 2017 buyers through November of 2017 before finally admitting they wouldn't deliver it. They still insist that certain functions that don't work will work, despite multiple owners reporting the failure to work as described.
“Works with iPhone” is not Apple CarPlay.

That “Works with iPhone” is shitty and probably false is both another issue distinct from CarPlay and one of the readons CarPlay is such a valuable feature.

The two issues should not be conflated, however.

Reactions: MINIME

·
Registered
73 Posts
All I want is my 2018 to be updated so Android Auto takes up the whole screen and doesn't say Android Auto on the side? Is that going to happen lol?

·
Registered
383 Posts
I actually find the default infotainment system to be very intuitive and safe. The dial is easy to control and doesn't require you to take your eyes off the road as opposed to a touch screen. I still wish AA worked on my car, but I've been fine without it so far.

·
Registered
555 Posts
All I want is my 2018 to be updated so Android Auto takes up the whole screen and doesn't say Android Auto on the side? Is that going to happen lol?
Or even better, retain the split screen but replace the logo with the infotainment info, like the built-in Nav can do.

Reactions: Powerhungry2L

·
Registered
443 Posts
That's actually a limitation of Android and the displays they are configured to work with. Google has a pretty good feedback mechanism and they do listen.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
I called Alfa Premium Care this week and was told that they are still working on the "flash" procedure to enable ACP-AA for the early 18's, although the cannot say when it will be ready. I replied that I had run-out of patience and wanted to begin the procedure to have FCA buy-back my vehicle. They offered a substantial incentive to me to continue to be patient, which I accepted.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
They offered a substantial incentive to me to continue to be patient, which I accepted.
Really? Did you have to sign a non-disclosure, or what did they offer you?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I called Alfa Premium Care this week and was told that they are still working on the "flash" procedure to enable ACP-AA for the early 18's, although the cannot say when it will be ready. I replied that I had run-out of patience and wanted to begin the procedure to have FCA buy-back my vehicle. They offered a substantial incentive to me to continue to be patient, which I accepted.
On what grounds would the buy back occur? Pretty interesting that's even possible for a missing feature unless your state has some unique laws.

1 - 20 of 589 Posts