Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I just reached out to Alfa USA Customer Care via their chat option on the website to ask about the Apple Car Play Update. Here is the conversation that I just had:

Me: Hi James. I'm trying to find out when Apple Carplay update will be available for my 2018 Giulia

James: May I ask for the VIN # please?

James:
Your build date is:
Build Date: July 11, 2017
As per the higher ups, here is the most current information I have on this related to this issue:
2018 MY Giulia vehicles previously delivered to dealers, in-transit from the port, or sold to customers can be updated with the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto software. Software update timing will be announced at a later date.

As of right now they have not provided us with a date as to when the update will become available. However it should be an over the air update and not require a trip to the dealership, there will simply be a message on the touch screen detailing the update request that you will confirm to begin the download.

Me: oh I didn't realize the Giulia was capable of over the air updates. That's news to me

James: That is the information that has made its way down to us here. I was not aware they did either but I think it is an attempt to cause as little inconvenience to our customers as possible as this is a touchy issue for a few people.

I had no idea that the Giulia was capable of receiving over the air updates. I hope this information helps some of you that have been waiting. At least we won't have to go to the dealer for it.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Ha ha ha I love how every new piece of information just makes the situation *more* confusing, not less.

It's kind of impressive how good Alfa Romeo is at obfuscating and delaying.

·
Registered
869 Posts
It is simply not possible for a Giulia to get an over the air update. It has no antenna/receiver for that type of data.

Maybe they mean you can flash the ROM with a USB but you'll then need the WiOtech reader to enable the new ROM and no one has that...except the dealer.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is simply not possible for a Giulia to get an over the air update. It has no antenna/receiver for that type of data.

Maybe they mean you can flash the ROM with a USB but you'll then need the WiOtech reader to enable the new ROM and no one has that...except the dealer.
Is it possible that they could be using the same antenna that is used for the Satellite radio and we just don't know about it?

·
Registered
869 Posts
No, the data transmission rate is too low for that technology. MacGeek also confirmed before that this is impossible. That is old info that is wrong. In fact, there is even a post somewhere here with the apology and correction from Alfa about the misinformation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow. Just wow. How can this possibly get more ridiculous?

I am very certain our cars cannot receive over-the-air updates. Maybe they’ll let us download the update to a USB stick for installation (which I believe is possible with certain updates in other markets, EU I think). But I’d be pretty surprised if they went this route.

For ***** sake, live traffic doesn’t even work in my car, and getting traffic info via RDS has been around for years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, the data transmission rate is too low for that technology. MacGeek also confirmed before that this is impossible. That is old info that is wrong. In fact, there is even a post somewhere here with the apology and correction from Alfa about the misinformation.
Oh wow! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I thought maybe I had found some new information but sorry for spreading the fake news everyone! :grin2:

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was intrigued too till I received an email from Alfa a few minutes stating the following:Good afternoon Mr. ****, My name is Christopher and I am a Case Manager at Alfa Romeo. I am following up with you to advise you that we are working on a software update to address your vehicle concerns and will follow-up as soon as we have a better ETA to it's release. Please note that there may have been some confusion and will not be an over the air update and that will need to be completed at an authorized Alfa Romeo dealership. I apologize for any confusion you may have encountered. Best wishes, Christopher Case Manager | Alfa Romeo

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1009-alfa-romeo-giulia-tsb-s/17409-over-air-update-4.html#post249553

http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/1009-alfa-romeo-giulia-tsb-s/17409-over-air-update-5.html#post273337

·
Registered
190 Posts
Oh wow! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I thought maybe I had found some new information but sorry for spreading the fake news everyone! :grin2:

No worries, not your fault really. It just shocks me that this sort of misinformation can come from AR themselves. I mean, if they don’t have an answer for us yet, that’s one thing (and pretty unacceptable, but I won’t beat that dead horse), but somehow these random messages are getting through that aren’t just untrue, they’re borderline absurd.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
If you didn't know that Alfa has spun that yarn before, it's not your fault, and in the end, the important thing is that owners like you are calling in and running the issue up the flagpole, demanding Alfa's attention. Hopefully the right people at AR recognize the importance and urgency of making good to those who bought '18 model year cars expecting the CarPlay/Android Auto features were included.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, so today I received a very delayed Facebook reply from AlfaCare regarding my inquiry a few weeks ago to getting the Apple Car Play update. My last message to them was to provide my VIN. The message today was very surprising which was that my car was simply ineligible for Apple Car Play. Until I received this message, I was just assuming that I needed to keep waiting for a software update like all the other MY2018 owners but now I was even more confused than ever.

I called the AlfaCare number this time to get someone live to talk to and received some more concerning information about MY2018 Giulia owners. Please someone tell me if the following information is accurate. The newest information is that if you have a MY2018 built prior to December 11 2017, your car is NOT pre-wired for apple car play even if your window sticker says it. My car has a build date of 7/2017 so according to the rep I spoke to this morning, a software update will not be enough for me. The AlfaCare rep that I spoke to said that corporate is now looking in to what they need to do for the MY2018 models built prior to Dec 11 2017 as they don't have the hardware installed as advertised.

Don't mean to keep beating this topic but the delayed Facebook message I received this morning made me look into it a bit more.

·
Registered
109 Posts
my MY18 car was built in November and does have ACP so its not quite that easy an algorithm. There's a whole thread on here somewhere on exactly the topic of build dates and ACP -- but as I recall there was no 'pat' answer or cutoff that we could determine.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
my MY18 car was built in November and does have ACP so its not quite that easy an algorithm. There's a whole thread on here somewhere on exactly the topic of build dates and ACP -- but as I recall there was no 'pat' answer or cutoff that we could determine.
UGH okay. As I originally planned before receiving that message this morning, I'm just going to wait it out until however long it takes to get official messaging.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Okay, so today I received a very delayed Facebook reply from AlfaCare regarding my inquiry a few weeks ago to getting the Apple Car Play update. My last message to them was to provide my VIN. The message today was very surprising which was that my car was simply ineligible for Apple Car Play. Until I received this message, I was just assuming that I needed to keep waiting for a software update like all the other MY2018 owners but now I was even more confused than ever.

I called the AlfaCare number this time to get someone live to talk to and received some more concerning information about MY2018 Giulia owners. Please someone tell me if the following information is accurate. The newest information is that if you have a MY2018 built prior to December 11 2017, your car is NOT pre-wired for apple car play even if your window sticker says it. My car has a build date of 7/2017 so according to the rep I spoke to this morning, a software update will not be enough for me. The AlfaCare rep that I spoke to said that corporate is now looking in to what they need to do for the MY2018 models built prior to Dec 11 2017 as they don't have the hardware installed as advertised.

Don't mean to keep beating this topic but the delayed Facebook message I received this morning made me look into it a bit more.
I got similar information from AlfaCare several weeks ago, when I tried to clarify what build date should have working Apple Car Play. The rep told me that delay of Apple Carplay software update was caused by a missing harness, but at that time it wasn't clear to me what harness she was talking about. I initially thought the missing harness was needed for the dealers to install the software to the cars. I was puzzled by that because they are able to install other software updates, but now it makes more sense. Based on what they told you it seems like some cars are not prewired. I hope the entertainment hardware on all MY18 cars is capable of running the apple car play software and the issue will be eventually fixed by installing the missing harness and then eventually the software as well.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
O M G !

This is not good. Are they saying that there is 6 months of production of vehicles that will need to be recalled? Or that they are open to litigation for false advertising and breach of contract? Good Lord, I am glad I have and Android phone, even though I had a heart attack this weekend, thinking my front usb port failed. It was just a bad cable and wonky connections. Are they going to replace all those head units? Of give a refund?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Twice a day, when I plug in my iPhone and curse to myself about how I purchased a MY2018 specifically for this feature instead of a MY2017, here's what worries me:

How many cars are actually affected by this?

Regardless of production date, 2018 Giulia models were (painfully) held until the very beginning of November. Most cars still at port as of Dec 11th had CarPlay enabled. How many MY2018 cars were actually delivered from Nov 1st through Dec 11th? Given the sales figures, I think it has to be on the order of ~1000. Maybe ~2000 at absolute most, right?

Why the blanket refusal to share any information?

If Alfa Romeo actually has "a plan" for this, as all customer service agents keep citing to me, *someone* *somewhere* must know *something*. They can't give an estimated quarter? They can't say anything at all about what needs to be installed? Or why it is that our cars lack this feature when newer ones (or older ones through port later) are sold with it every day? Easier to believe no such plan exists.

What incentive does *Alfa Romeo* actually have to correct this?

It's like a thousand cars. They're already sold. It's not a safety issue. It's not a regulation or compliance issue. It is, in their eyes, a pretty minor feature to get worked up over. If it involves a significant effort in any fashion, I just don't see why Alfa Romeo would bother. They never cared to explain to me why my car was sitting in a US port for nearly three months; despite a few angry signed letters the best we got was an FCA director giving us dates without reasons. I think they're just hoping to get away with doing nothing. Why not?

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
@AustinJRod, I too was in conversation with Alfa Cares (Chris at extension 89370) recently, and I too was told that MY18 cars built before Dec. 11th 2017 will need "hardware" and "software" to enable the promised ACP-AA feature. Chris could not, or would not elaborate on whether it was just a cable or other components that will need to be replaced, nor could he give a firm date when these parts will be available for distribution to the local dealerships. He indicated that owners of affected cars will be notified by email and snail mail. @julianm, I too agree that solving this problem may not be as high a priority for Alfa, as we would like it to be. Perhaps the supplier of whatever cables and components are needed can only make them fast enough to supply the assembly line building new Giulias. There is no way that Alfa will slow down, or stop the assembly line to ship those parts to Dealers to help us. I agree that the number of cars affected is small and (perhaps) not a high priority.
So, what can we do to hurry this along? I badger my Dealership from time-to-time about this, but obviously they have little control and they too would like this resolved asap. Heck, my sales lady and her father both purchased early MY18s. Just last week I insisted on getting the contact information of their Regional Representatives so that I may contact them directly. I was told that Alfa was restructuring that department and that they would contact me soon with the proper contact info. Just yesterday, I received that information. I will email John Possumato, the new Regional Sales Rep at [email protected] AND call him at 248-931-1670. I encourage other to do the same. There is strength in numbers.
Also, there is another thread on this topic.
http://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/4...ple-car-play-android-auto-cost-200-300-a.html

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Twice a day, when I plug in my iPhone and curse to myself about how I purchased a MY2018 specifically for this feature instead of a MY2017, here's what worries me:

How many cars are actually affected by this?

Regardless of production date, 2018 Giulia models were (painfully) held until the very beginning of November. Most cars still at port as of Dec 11th had CarPlay enabled. How many MY2018 cars were actually delivered from Nov 1st through Dec 11th? Given the sales figures, I think it has to be on the order of ~1000. Maybe ~2000 at absolute most, right?
I feel your frustration, and hope Alfa makes good by you.

Although I was lucky enough to get a MY18 (car hit dealer lot in Jan) with ACP despite being unaware of the MY18 SNAFU at the time, I’m really interested to understand how AR messed this up, like in terms of how it went down timeline-wise.

Above, are you saying that no MY18 cars were delivered to dealers before Nov, and that all the MY18 cars built since start of the MY run, which seems to be July of ‘17, were held somewhere until Nov. 1?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts