Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 251 Posts

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
Some of you know that I have been PM ing those of you that have taken delivery of your MY2018 Giulias, to ask you about what you have been told about the ACP-AA feature that we were promised, but is not yet installed.
I have been waiting to compile the responses before I created this thread. Having heard back from about a half dozen, here it goes.
As you know, the 18s were advertised as having ACP-AA as standard on all Giulias. I received this information verbally, as well as an AR dealer document, that I still have. Upon delivery of our new 18 Ti, I was informed that the vehicle is "pre-wired", but that the software is not yet ready and that I would have to bring her back "in the near future" for the installation. As disappointing as that is, I'm happy that they didn't hold her in Giulia jail any longer than necessary, and released her to us, to return when the code is ready. But, what was surprising, and angered us greatly, was the fact that (as told to me by our sales representative in an email) AR will be charging a $200.00 fee (another MY18 owner indicated that he was told $200-$300) for the download installation. I sent a very terse reply that I did not feel that I should have to pay for something that I was, in no uncertain terms, promised to be included when I placed my order. I also asked my rep to discuss this with her team, and to get ahead of this issue, and to do her best to resolve this before it escalates. To her credit, I received a prompt reply stating that the Sales Manager called AR, presented my position, and was told that the fee would be waived for my car.
I suppose, AR is offering their new MY18s as pre-wired for ACP-AA and will sell the feature as an option. I'm fine with that, for new customers. For those of us that ordered earlier, and were promised this feature, included in the sale price, well, I expected them to honor the contract. To their credit, at least for me, it seems that they will.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Uh oh, here we go.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Following. Just curious how AR and its public will respond to this rumor.

I think they fumbled the radio update, personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Following. Just curious how AR and its public will respond to this rumor.

I think they fumbled the radio update, personally.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Ya think? The last word from Alfa on iPhone issues, after my documenting their failure to comply with Apple’s MFi standards while using the “Works with iPhone” logo was that Alfa is working with Apple to try to resolve the issue for the MY17 cars.

I don’t know if the MY18 cars are having the same issues with iPhone SMS and Siri.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I am sure if they waved the fee for one pre-ordered owner they will for the rest of us..... no need to blow a gasket over it......:wink2:
AlfaAndy thanks for paving the way!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
FCA should pay dealers whatever the amount is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Any update to this rumored up charge?

Also, I found this YouTube video showing Android Auto on Giulia

There's a similar video for Car Play.

So, while there are videos, I haven't heard confirmation that it works from a real owner.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Currently both of these are listed as Standard on the Alfa Romeo site.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Currently both of these are listed as Standard on the Alfa Romeo site.
Apparently "standard" on the AR site, and "now available" on the video, translate somewhat vaguely.
I forwarded the video to my sales rep.
Her reply was that the regional rep (a day before) was into the dealership and told them that "[FONT=&quot]it was probably going to be calendar year 2018. An issue with the start date of the contracts with Apple and Android which is delaying them putting it into the cars."
So, we wait.
I am always curious to hear what the other dealerships are saying. Please ask, and post.

[/FONT]

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
They say whatever sounds best

[FONT=&quot] [FONT=&quot]I am always curious to hear what the other dealerships are saying. Please ask, and post.[/FONT][/FONT]

I've learned not to believe anything the dealerships say. They say whatever they need to say to make you feel good about them, and then blame the manufacturer when something (usually) turns out to be less than true.
When I bought mine in May, my guy told me I would be getting an update on my 2017 Infotainment system to add this feature over the summer. A lot of other buyers heard similar stories.

Reactions: chaiguy

·
Registered
303 Posts
My dealer, Ganley Alfa Romeo of Bedford Ohio, was 100% straightforward on the CarPlay issue, which was very important to me. They did all they could to get information out of FCA, which was hard. But they made no promises and were honest about the lack of clear answers. They encouraged me to wait for 2018 cars when it might be made available. They were right. So, there are some excellent, honest dealers out there.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've learned not to believe anything the dealerships say. They say whatever they need to say to make you feel good about them, and then blame the manufacturer when something (usually) turns out to be less than true.
When I bought mine in May, my guy told me I would be getting an update on my 2017 Infotainment system to add this feature over the summer. A lot of other buyers heard similar stories.
Your experience is unfortunate.
My dealership has (seemingly) been very honest with me.
On many occasions, when I ask for an answer, and the question is sent to a regional representative, I am included in and cc'd in the email chain. So far, I am satisfied with the truthfulness of my dealership responses.
Having said that, I am obviously disappointed with FCA on a few issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I asked my dealer last week about the prospects of getting CarPlay and the possibility of having to pay for the install. I was told they would look into it and received this in an email this morning:

"This is what I was able to find out regarding Apple Car Play. Alfa is discussing if or how they would credit the cost of the software (maybe $200) so that customers such as yourself don't have to incur that expense. But the final decision on it is not yet clear, so I'll keep you informed."

Also, when I picked up my car two weeks ago I was told that CarPlay was "months away".

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I asked my dealer last week about the prospects of getting CarPlay and the possibility of having to pay for the install. I was told they would look into it and received this in an email this morning:

"This is what I was able to find out regarding Apple Car Play. Alfa is discussing if or how they would credit the cost of the software (maybe $200) so that customers such as yourself don't have to incur that expense. But the final decision on it is not yet clear, so I'll keep you informed."

Also, when I picked up my car two weeks ago I was told that CarPlay was "months away".
This is similar to what other MY18 owners have told me.
Of course, those of us that ordered in June, or later were told that it was part of the " FULL-LINE-UP PRODUCT ENHANCEMENTS" and would be "STANDARD" on all models.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Has anyone in this forum had Car Play installed and functional in their vehicle?

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Has anyone in this forum had Car Play installed and functional in their vehicle?
We have been told by our dealerships that it will be available for installation some time in the calendar year 2018.
Maybe someone knows how to hack a version into a Giulia...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
We have been told by our dealerships that it will be available for installation some time in the calendar year 2018.
Maybe someone knows how to hack a version into a Giulia...
I wonder who the first one will be to have CarPlay installed in their Giulia.......

I am betting it will be someone on this forum......

·
Registered
261 Posts
I'm definitely interested and getting it on my 2017. I'll let you know when it happens
I thought I read somewhere that there are hardware differences between the 2017s and 2018s such that the 2017s will never be able to get Apple Car Play. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I'm not so sure...

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that there are hardware differences between the 2017s and 2018s such that the 2017s will never be able to get Apple Car Play. I'd like to be wrong about that, but I'm not so sure...
If they are I am willing to switch.

1 - 20 of 251 Posts