Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
with the white burka on? You know that white protective coating that all the QV come with......

I am thinking of having the dealer leave it on and take her straight to the detailing experts for Xpel application; the drive would be about 80 miles.

Is the burka placed pretty securely on the vehicle? Will it rip off at highway speeds?
Anyone see any problems driving with it on like possible police harassment?

Your thoughts are appreciated......

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think it would rip at speeds above 30. More concerning is that my car was filthy underneath the burka, and I feel the dirt and burka combo would scratch the clear coat. Can you take surface streets and avoid highways? I feel your dilemma tho, I was leery of my short drive to get paint protection.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
with the white burka on? You know that white protective coating that all the QV come with......

I am thinking of having the dealer leave it on and take her straight to the detailing experts for Xpel application; the drive would be about 80 miles.

Is the burka placed pretty securely on the vehicle? Will it rip off at highway speeds?
Anyone see any problems driving with it on like possible police harassment?

Your thoughts are appreciated......
Dottore sorry to say I doubt they (dealer) would let you do that outside of the practical reasons like it may just rip off, a cop may think you just stole it off a trailer:grin2:...but the real reason is, and I witnessed this at Miller one day...
the intake guy, takes the burka off, not the driver, and they go over that car to make there was no in-transit damage.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Yes! And David at Central said the burka is one piece with a zipper, save the hood cover. The point about dirt under the burka is a good one. I am thinking I will just painter tape the nose and wheel arches. David did say the hood cover may work as it is one piece but not sure it won't billow up and block your view. I plan to drive back roads down to Weymouth. It's only about 30 minutes from Norwood.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I guess I would rather the dealer inspect the car for possible defects occurred during transport, like professore said, than drive with it on and find them later with no possible recourse.......

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it will be home before you know it....Sei come un ragazzino a Natale LOL
Peggio! :grin2:

Winter wheels and tires on the way, I just can’t wait till spring to drive her......0:)

Buon Natale!

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Buon Natale!

"Nell'umile capanna / nel freddo e povertà"

Trying not to be a Scrooge.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
Senta Dottore,
Passa li bene con la famiglia! Speriamo per un anno con il salute` e` felicita!

Merry Christmas fellow Alfisti! I wish you all health & happiness this Holiday season and for the New Year.
Enjoy your family & friends!...It will be Spring soon......

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Even if the car was spotless underneath the burka, it would flip and flop in the wind and likely scratch the clear coat....Flatbed to the detailer ? How far of a drive ? I think the back roads idea is a good one....I drove mine home from the dealer and let it sit in the garage for 4 days until my appointment with the detailer for the Xpel Ultimate....It made the trip without any stone chips at all....Of course the issue now is salt on the roads which can become airborne projectiles this time of year....A healthy dose of OCD is both a benefit and a detriment !!! Such is the irony of life....Enjoy !!! 0:) 0:)

Reactions: BostonDMD

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Exactly! Enjoy my friends 0:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Even if the car was spotless underneath the burka, it would flip and flop in the wind and likely scratch the clear coat....Flatbed to the detailer ? How far of a drive ? I think the back roads idea is a good one....I drove mine home from the dealer and let it sit in the garage for 4 days until my appointment with the detailer for the Xpel Ultimate....It made the trip without any stone chips at all....Of course the issue now is salt on the roads which can become airborne projectiles this time of year....A healthy dose of OCD is both a benefit and a detriment !!! Such is the irony of life....Enjoy !!! 0:) 0:)
80 highway miles to get her home.......:surprise:

Anyway, between the below 40F temps and the worry about chips for the unprotected paint, an enclosed trailer is making more and more sense....... funny thing is I have one to transport my racecar so worse come to worse.......

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
DMD, if you have one and it will fit, go ahead and use it.

Otherwise, I am using painters tape but only have about a 30 minute drive on state routes. Going to cover the side skirt fronts too.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Are you installing the winter tires at the dealership ? You probably don't want to be driving around with the "Corsas" in this cold.....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am hoping to pick up on Tuesday when the temps will be a hot 45F, the Michelin Alpin/ dark 5 hole wheel won't be here until later on the week......

John, good call on the painters tape........

Decisions, decisions, decisions......

·
Registered
3,602 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
will it fit in your fancy trailer? Otherwise I want to see a pic of the tape fiesta and your first experience driving her with said crap all over it lol

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
will it fit in your fancy trailer? Otherwise I want to see a pic of the tape fiesta and your first experience driving her with said crap all over it lol
ETA has been pushed back to 12/22, I guess they really want it to be a Christmas gift!:grin2:

Reactions: FNM and Alfaholico

·
Registered
694 Posts
Anyway, between the below 40F temps and the worry about chips for the unprotected paint, an enclosed trailer is making more and more sense....... funny thing is I have one to transport my racecar so worse come to worse.......
Speaking of trailers, One option I have for picking up my car in the northeast is to have my father and brother go with an open car carrying trailer they have. Then they could have all-season tires installed in NY and then I could drive it home from there. What do you guys think about loading a car that low onto a trailer? Can it be done without scraping the splitter or diffuser? What special precautions need to be taken?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Speaking of trailers, One option I have for picking up my car in the northeast is to have my father and brother go with an open car carrying trailer they have. Then they could have all-season tires installed in NY and then I could drive it home from there. What do you guys think about loading a car that low onto a trailer? Can it be done without scraping the splitter or diffuser? What special precautions need to be taken?
From my experience with a trailer and racecar you need long ramps that gradually rise to the level of the trailer height......Do they have a trailex or something similar?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts