Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always like to have a 3rd key set for my cars because there's a lot of drivers in the household and they get misplaced/left in pockets, for short periods of time. So called "smartkeys" typically cost about $500 to have duplicated at a dealer but I have found local locksmiths that can order/program/cut a dup for more like about $200 for my Toyota, BMW and Infiniti. However they tell me that at this time they simply can't order or program the Alfa keys. Anyone had luck with this at any source other than a dealer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm interested in this too. Have lost one of my 2 fobs. Dealer says each component, the transmitter casing plus the physical key, list for $240. Plus programming it is a $600 proposition. Currently tearing up the house but is currently looking like an expensive loss.

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
I'm interested in this too. Have lost one of my 2 fobs. Dealer says each component, the transmitter casing plus the physical key, list for $240. Plus programming it is a $600 proposition. Currently tearing up the house but is currently looking like an expensive loss.

So, purchasing a working replacement fob from the dealer is a $1080 part?

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, purchasing a working replacement fob from the dealer is a $1080 part?
No. Sorry if unclear. $480 for fob parts (dealer described two part numbers) and $150 for programming (said they'd do it for $100).

Reactions: tak_eric

·
Registered
2017 Ti Q2
213 Posts
What ever happen when we get a key made for a dollar?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The key actually comes from Italy. My Giulia was missing one of the two fobs due to a sale of the dealership and chaos. They ordered one, it took about a week, and then needed the car for an hour to clear out key data and reprogram the car for only the 2 keys that were physically there.

The one dollar keys could be duplicated by a skilled picker bumping the cylinder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts