Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a recent discussion with an Alfa Tech who related, among other things, that they have replaced two, 2.0 oil pumps recently. Apparently there is a solenoid attached to the pump that controls a high / low pressure circuit, that fails. When the solenoid fails, it sets a CEL. The new pump has a new part number, and an added screen at the solenoid.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had a recent discussion with an Alfa Tech who related, among other things, that they have replaced two, 2.0 oil pumps recently. Apparently there is a solenoid attached to the pump that controls a high / low pressure circuit, that fails. When the solenoid fails, it sets a CEL. The new pump has a new part number, and an added screen at the solenoid.
Any details as to the model year of these failures or when the cars received the new part when built (If this is the case))

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Tazio!1901 , I do not have the answers to your questions. As the story was told to me, these cars had been in service for some time, not failures right out of the gate. It is because of complexities like this, and Multi Air, and high pressure turbocharging, and aftermarket tuning, I change my engine oil and filter every 3k to 5k miles, or 1 year, max.

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Ive changed many dual stage pumps in 3.6 Pentastar engines for the same failure...It would not surprise me to see that issue carry over to the 2.0.

·
Registered
443 Posts
@Tazio!1901 , I do not have the answers to your questions. As the story was told to me, these cars had been in service for some time, not failures right out of the gate. It is because of complexities like this, and Multi Air, and high pressure turbocharging, and aftermarket tuning, I change my engine oil and filter every 3k to 5k miles, or 1 year, max.
I understand. Thanks, Alfa Andy (& Crosshairs)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had to have the oil pump replace under warranty on my Stelvio with the 2.0. Went into limp home mode.

2018 with 32,000 on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took my 2017 Giulia 2.0 with 20k miles in to the dealer today to have the leaky radiator replaced and to have them check an engine rattle when cold. They just called to say the rattle is the oil pump and that it will be replaced under warranty. Sounds like it might be a different problem than the solenoid issue. I will get more details when I pick it up.

I am a long-time Alfa fan, but I am beginning to wonder. My wife has never had these sort of issues with the string of Audis she has owned over the last 25 years. The Alfa warranty is about to expire, and I think my love affair with Alfa might be about to get expensive. Good thing the Giulia is fun to drive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my car today after the oil pump (and radiator) replacement. I didn't get to see the failed oil pump, but the service manager said it was a failed oil pump scissor gear. I am not sure what that is, but he said they had the car on the hoist idling and their master tech said "Oh yeah, that is the death rattle, or at least that is what they called it at Alfa Tech school". The service manager said they had another car this week with the same problem. The car only has 20k miles on it, so I will be very unhappy if I have to do this every 20k. It was covered under warranty, but the normal charge is 10 hours labor + parts, so $2000 by the time you are done.

My question is what the heck is an oil pump scissor gear, and did this failure do any damage to the rest of the engine that is going to come back and haunt me later?

FYI, I never saw a CEL.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I Googled scissor gear and found out it is 2 identical gears mounted coaxially with springs that try to rotate them in opposite directions. This takes up any backlash or rattle with the mating gear. I suppose the oil pump has a scissor gear driving it to keep things quiet. That is why when mine failed I could hear it rattling when at cold idle. The good news is that there should have been no debris getting into my oil and no additional damage to the engine. It seems these failures are common, so I am hoping the new gear they installed is an improved version. This would be a pretty expensive failure if it happened out of warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts