Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car just delivered this week. All seems good except the rear window has a rather high level of distortion. I'd expect some distortion with a sloping window like this one, but it definitely seems excessive. Thinking a problem with the defroster film ? Anyone else have this problem ?
Other than the rear window, really pleased. :smile2:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Are you wearing polarized sunglasses when you look at it? That really introduces a lot of ripples...but they all disappear when you take them off again.

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
573 Posts
I was noticing it just the other night and was trying to figure out if it was the tinting I had done. Now I am thinking it might be the glass or something and the tint just makes it more noticable. Oh well, it is what it is. Nothing I can't live with and I can see out just fine. Just looks a little weird.

Reactions: Tony Bonanno

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No polarized glasses. No glasses at all at times.. I'm still thinking it has something to do with the defroster film. It appears to be "applied" to the inside of the glass. I suspect there was a problem with a batch or something has happened to cause it to distort during transport, prep, etc. It's not something that I can't live with, but definitely annoying. Should be a warranty fix, but no hurry to drive 100 mi each way to the dealer just yet.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Car just delivered this week. All seems good except the rear window has a rather high level of distortion. I'd expect some distortion with a sloping window like this one, but it definitely seems excessive. Thinking a problem with the defroster film ? Anyone else have this problem ?
Other than the rear window, really pleased. :smile2:
Yep, the view out of my rear window is distorted in a pattern that is aligned with the defroster grid. Add a light frost and the distortion through the rear window becomes much worse, but the rear defroster will take care of that.

I wouldn't bother trying to get it "repaired", the distortion is not severe enough to impair anything I need to see out the back. Besides I suspect that they are all like that.

Sept 2017 build, MY2018 Ti Q4.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks for your replies everyone. I wonder if there were some problems with the defroster film on our 2018's ? I agree that it may not be worth getting it "repaired/replaced", although the level of distortion in mine is certainly not what I would consider OK. But maybe they are all like that ?? When I have the opportunity, will try to check some other Giulia's.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Here is a picture of the view out my Giulia's rear window, showing the windows of my Protege and some fencing. The picture is a bit overexposed, sorry about that--cheap camera and not the best photographer. Lines that should be smooth are wavy, which is most noticeable at the lower center of the image. The distortion is most noticeable for lines that are at an angle to the defroster grid. It is not nearly so bad that I would have trouble identifying items behind the car or the distance to them, it is just a slight distortion that I have to look carefully to see at all.

Again, not worth any effort to fix. YMMV.

Attachments

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was noticing it just the other night and was trying to figure out if it was the tinting I had done. Now I am thinking it might be the glass or something and the tint just makes it more noticable. Oh well, it is what it is. Nothing I can't live with and I can see out just fine. Just looks a little weird.
Do you have ceramic tint?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Do you have ceramic tint?
Yes. Xpel Prime XR

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
No distortion here.

Reactions: Tony Bonanno

·
Registered
201 Posts
My car came with a grimy clear film on the rear moonroof and the rear window. Alcohol, Windex etc didn't work well. Left grimy smudges. One day I bought a foam glass cleaner and it cut thru whatever it was and all is great now.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,796 Posts
My car came with a grimy clear film on the rear moonroof and the rear window. Alcohol, Windex etc didn't work well. Left grimy smudges. One day I bought a foam glass cleaner and it cut thru whatever it was and all is great now.
Did you receive a thank you from the dealer for doing its job. That sort of stuff should be taken care of at prep unless you instruct otherwise (which some people do).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well, whereas Lexus had a huge service shop with dozens of adults working there, Alfa has a 3 car garage with 1-2 dudes and a teenager. So I took my expectations down a bit for that kind of stuff. I actually really appreciate and love hand cleaning the alfa myself anyways, I never felt compelled to do it in detail on my is350 before. So there's a good bright side to this.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts