Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if any of you here have experienced a whistling noise on the Giulia at speeds over 70MPH. I checked all tires, windows etc. and everything seems tight. Almost sounds like there is an air tunnel somewhere causing the sound or air is getting through into the cabin. With the radio turned off you can definitely hear it.

Will be taking it to the dealer to diagnose. They told me it could be a sticker under the car from shipping and what not. Hopefully it is...

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Just curious if any of you here have experienced a whistling noise on the Giulia at speeds over 70MPH. I checked all tires, windows etc. and everything seems tight. Almost sounds like there is an air tunnel somewhere causing the sound or air is getting through into the cabin. With the radio turned off you can definitely hear it.

Will be taking it to the dealer to diagnose. They told me it could be a sticker under the car from shipping and what not. Hopefully it is...
Nope and I've had it over 70 just a couple of times:D

·
Registered
576 Posts
I get a loud constant wind noise from the upper back part of the driver's side window while driving my Giulia Quadrafoglio.

Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Took the car to the dealer regarding this issue and the service tech said he could hear it but it was too faint to consider it a problem. I even went in another drive with a Giulia to see if the whistle noise was normal and it was non-existent in the other one. They just said come back if the noise gets worse. Just made me realize the poor fit and finish so far on this car. I won't even get started on our bumper not being flush...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Took the car to the dealer regarding this issue and the service tech said he could hear it but it was too faint to consider it a problem. I even went in another drive with a Giulia to see if the whistle noise was normal and it was non-existent in the other one. They just said come back if the noise gets worse. Just made me realize the poor fit and finish so far on this car. I won't even get started on our bumper not being flush...
Oh no!!!
I can't believe they actually heard it and thought it wasn't a problem. That is poor service.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
so what will you do? is it a lease or purchase? perhaps try another dealer for service??
really sorry to hear about your experience....

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have heard that the noise will go away over 130mph :)

On a more serious note, you should try to find the source. When the sound is present, lower each window just slightly and see if the noise changes or goes away. That may help find the source, and if so, the dealer will be more likely to fix it for you. It could be a window or sunroof that doesn't quite seal.

Greg

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh no!!!
I can't believe they actually heard it and thought it wasn't a problem. That is poor service.
Definitely poor service. I asked them to just take a look at the tires just in case but they kept saying it can't be the tires...

so what will you do? is it a lease or purchase? perhaps try another dealer for service??
really sorry to hear about your experience....
It was a purchase. I can live with it. You can't really hear it with the radio volume turned up in the car. I may just try another dealer.

I have heard that the noise will go away over 130mph :)

On a more serious note, you should try to find the source. When the sound is present, lower each window just slightly and see if the noise changes or goes away. That may help find the source, and if so, the dealer will be more likely to fix it for you. It could be a window or sunroof that doesn't quite seal.

Greg
Tried everything... Not sure where it is coming from. I am very skeptical about the quality of service of these dealers because on Day 1 when I drove home the tire pressures were all at 60 psi and one of them at 40psi... Got it all set correctly but noticed yesterday that one tire with less pressure is losing air still...

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I test drive the grey qv from my dealer there was a similar wind noise as u said. A good way to test is use a compressed air gun blow to the seams and u stay inside to figure it out.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Having the radio turned up isn't a solution though. I would be pretty upset about it. Kinda what threw me off from buying an X3 years and years ago, the roof rails were causing a dreadfully awful wind noise and I couldn't bare with it. I would try to figure out exactly where it's coming from though. Maybe get someone to sit in the back and stick their ear around different places to hear it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed the same sound immediately after my purchase from the dealer. A highway wind noise in the cabin @ >70 mph. I got home, opened all the doors and pulled back the upper door seal lips to find that one of the rubber tracks was not all the way seated into the door rail (driver door). I used a vinyl trim tool to press it back into the metal groove and viola! No more wind noise. The fitment of the trim and body panels on this car definitely leaves something to be desired; that front bumper fitment is a mess. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One thing you can do that is pretty simple to track down wind noise is use tape -

Grab a roll of painters tape (the wide blue kind) and hit the road. Starting taping up areas you think the noise is coming from. Then you can isolate where - then usually adjust a trim piece or a piece of rubber to fix it.

-Jeff

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
One thing you can do that is pretty simple to track down wind noise is use tape -

Grab a roll of painters tape (the wide blue kind) and hit the road. Starting taping up areas you think the noise is coming from. Then you can isolate where - then usually adjust a trim piece or a piece of rubber to fix it.

-Jeff
Excellent advice ^^

Reactions: jkoval

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm pretty sure I have this noise. It's kind of a whistle / rotational hiss. I'm starting to want to track it down. My 2018 did not make the same noise.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,304 Posts
Mine whines a bit, sort of a whistle sound starting at 67mph until 70mph. Some think it's the differential, I'm not sure what it is.

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a mustang that made a similar noise and I always thought the differential was the culprit. I complained about it but the service managers always shrugged me off or said that’s just how it is. I suppose it could have been some resonance at highway speeds too. Although most manufactures design their exhausts to eliminate that.

Also, I had a friend who owned a BRZ that got bought back due to this issue. She had to be persistent though.

At the end of the day, some diffs just whine a bit. Not sure if it’s design or assembly error.

interestingly my QV makes a slight whistling noise that’s just a bit different than what I experienced with my mustang. I believe it’s coming from the front instead of the back. I assumed it was turbo whine. It’s not noticeable at all if I have a podcast or music playing. In fact I’d say the tire noise of the corsa system tires is worse.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a mustang that made a similar noise and I always thought the differential was the culprit. I complained about it but the service managers always shrugged me off or said that’s just how it is. I suppose it could have been some resonance at highway speeds too. Although most manufactures design their exhausts to eliminate that.

Also, I had a friend who owned a BRZ that got bought back due to this issue. She had to be persistent though.

At the end of the day, some diffs just whine a bit. Not sure if it’s design or assembly error.

interestingly my QV makes a slight whistling noise that’s just a bit different than what I experienced with my mustang. I believe it’s coming from the front instead of the back. I assumed it was turbo whine. It’s not noticeable at all if I have a podcast or music playing. In fact I’d say the tire noise of the corsa system tires is worse.
Mine (Q4) is also coming from the front to my ears. It's not bothersome, especially with the corsa exhaust.

Reactions: Tony Bonanno

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,304 Posts
Mine (Q4) is also coming from the front to my ears. It's not bothersome, especially with the corsa exhaust.
I noticed a distinct whistling coming from a 19 loaner, I actually think it was coming through the speakers.... Like alternator whine.

Reactions: migliori

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a whistling noise in my 2018 TI with sunroof, it’s the leading edge of the sunroof, the factory seal is not thick enough to close the gap. I took it off, applied some auto parts store rubber strip, and then the factory seal, siliconed on top of it. Creates a tighter seal when the sunroof is closed against it. But there still a little bit of wind noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts