Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scoured the forum and can’t find anyone that has recorded a figure. After 5 minutes shut down, locked with key (no alarm) no e brake, no boot light......I show 260ma drain for 35 minutes before I reconnected the earth lead. I believe that’s too high and should be around 80ma at worst. I’m out of warranty now and can’t connect a ctek due to location. Replaced the battery for an AGM. Car won’t sit for 4 days without the battery light coming on with volts dropping from 12.4v to 11.5v in that time.

again.....anyone actually measured their drain mv?

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Giulia goes through a complex sequence of power down activity and responds to the fob being in the proximity of the car. Measuring the full power down current draw is not easy. Most importantly do not store your fob in or near the car, or store the fob in a Faraday cage (I use a small tin with a tight fitting lid). When measuring your battery drain you will need to run wires out of the car, close up and lock the doors and then wait and wait and wait.

What did you use to measure the drain? DC clamp meters are notoriously inaccurate and unstable and it is difficult to find a direct meter that can measure milliamps that also will not fail from the surge current when it is initially connected to the battery lead.

Lastly, the 95AH battery that is in most (all?) NAFTA cars should handle a 283mA draw for at least a week (50% discharge).

·
Registered
506 Posts
As a rule of thumb up to 50mA (0.05A) drain is considered OK, everything above should be looked into. Check for any extra devices connected like USB chargers, aftermarket alarms, GPS trackers, dash cams etc.
Also modern cars can take up to half an hour to go to "sleep". Have key further away from car, don't pull door handles as this also may cause car to wake up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Giulia goes through a complex sequence of power down activity and responds to the fob being in the proximity of the car. Measuring the full power down current draw is not easy. Most importantly do not store your fob in or near the car, or store the fob in a Faraday cage (I use a small tin with a tight fitting lid). When measuring your battery drain you will need to run wires out of the car, close up and lock the doors and then wait and wait and wait.

What did you use to measure the drain? DC clamp meters are notoriously inaccurate and unstable and it is difficult to find a direct meter that can measure milliamps that also will not fail from the surge current when it is initially connected to the battery lead.

Lastly, the 95AH battery that is in most (all?) NAFTA cars should handle a 283mA draw for at least a week (50% discharge).
Simple test with multi metre in circuit between batt earth so pretty accurate. I witnessed the gradual reduction in drain dropping to 900ma from around 5 amps with car unlocked and boot lights on. Locked the car and after 5 min drops to around 260ma and stays there for 35min before I give up so expect it stays at that level. Key fob is around 500 yards away overnight. Boot is open when tested but no boot lights on as vehicle locked so no drain there. All evidence I find states that 80ma is about the limit but Guilia might be very power hungry by nature. Booked in to get the drain tested so will update.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a rule of thumb up to 50mA (0.05A) drain is considered OK, everything above should be looked into. Check for any extra devices connected like USB chargers, aftermarket alarms, GPS trackers, dash cams etc.
Also modern cars can take up to half an hour to go to "sleep". Have key further away from car, don't pull door handles as this also may cause car to wake up.
Thanks for the tip. All that is covered. I don’t even have the alarm on or the e brake overnight. Will see what the dealer say on the 23rd Feb

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip. All that is covered. I don’t even have the alarm on or the e brake overnight. Will see what the dealer say on the 23rd Feb
Back from the dealer and happy that they have found something........no drain at the time of test so have to assume it was intermittent. Code stored relating to radio switch which is well documented on here and described as ‘sticking’ note- it isn’t sticking mechanically but electronically. Hopefully my car will now sit for 4 days now without the low battery warning coming on for a few seconds on start up.

I’m out of warranty and they couldn’t apply any goodwill to this or the warpedfuel cap so I’ll raise a case with Alfa CC.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts