Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to bum a ride in a 68-74 coupe.

I think my QV is lonely.

Steve

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been watching bids on eBay and looking at classifieds for possible candidates to purchase -- but would really like a ride in one to see if they are as fun to drive as they appear to be on YouTube.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I've had my GTV for almost 20 years now. I've done everything from track days/time trials to canyon runs and family touring in the car. It always puts a ridiculous smile on my face. They really drive quite well - for someone that is new to vintage Alfas the best description is they feel like an Italian BMW 2002. By that I mean they do everything that a 2002 does, with a little more style and panache, and of course they have a gorgeous Bertone-designed body.

Generally, all the 105/115 Alfas (Spider, GTV, and Giulia Super/Berlina) share the same mechanicals, including Alfa's twincam 4-cylinder. The increased torsional rigidity of the GTV over the Spider can be felt instantly, and the suspension seems to work better in the GTV, which is part of the reason they were so widely raced in period.

My car is far from stock - I tend to like things low, stiff, and loud. And it's chock full of prototype parts we have developed and tested at Centerline. Anyone who's in the area is welcome to give it a go.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've had my GTV for almost 20 years now. I've done everything from track days/time trials to canyon runs and family touring in the car. It always puts a ridiculous smile on my face. They really drive quite well - for someone that is new to vintage Alfas the best description is they feel like an Italian BMW 2002. By that I mean they do everything that a 2002 does, with a little more style and panache, and of course they have a gorgeous Bertone-designed body.

Generally, all the 105/115 Alfas (Spider, GTV, and Giulia Super/Berlina) share the same mechanicals, including Alfa's twincam 4-cylinder. The increased torsional rigidity of the GTV over the Spider can be felt instantly, and the suspension seems to work better in the GTV, which is part of the reason they were so widely raced in period.

My car is far from stock - I tend to like things low, stiff, and loud. And it's chock full of prototype parts we have developed and tested at Centerline. Anyone who's in the area is welcome to give it a go.

Joe, that is one beautiful car.. Being new to Alfa, and 6 months in to my Ti Sport, I'm feeling like I'll end up with an older sibling for her, maybe two...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,380 Posts
Nice car. And someone is a good photographer.

I struggle with all the use of industrial backgrounds for car photography. Many manufacturers are using them these days. Of course anything to make the car stand out. But better possibilities? Hopefully this won't turn into a thread on automotive photography. That would be fun and interesting, though.

Where in VA? I used to live in Charlottesville.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That looks just like my now sold 74. One of the most effective upgrades one can make to this car is to change the springs/shocks. Makes a world of difference in the way it drives and handles.

Some people liked to swap the SPICA injection for euro-version Weber carbs but I didn't. My ran awesome with injection and so smoooth.

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I struggle with all the use of industrial backgrounds for car photography. Many manufacturers are using them these days. Of course anything to make the car stand out. But better possibilities? Hopefully this won't turn into a thread on automotive photography. That would be fun and interesting, though.
I generally agree. Because of our location we normally use mountain backgrounds but we decided to try something different this time.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe,

Your car is absolutely gorgeous and your description further solidifies my desire to drive and purchase one.

I had no idea of their existence until after I purchased my QV and started looking at Alfa's heritage.

I'm still in the learning phase. So far, all I know is I want one and the 1750 engine seems to be preferred for its high rev'ing ability.

Steve

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
I'm still in the learning phase. So far, all I know is I want one and the 1750 engine seems to be preferred for its high rev'ing ability.
The 1750 is a great engine, they feel very balanced and smooth and they do love to rev.

But anyone who tells you a 2000 engine doesn't like to rev probably hasn't driven a good one. IMHO a 2000 engine can be every bit as revvy and satisfying as a 1750 with a lot more torque. The nice thing about any of the Alfa 4-cylinder engines is that you can really fine tune the power curve by simply changing cams and/or cam timing, and you will end up with an engine that works for you.

I have both (in different cars) so I'm not just being biased.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 1750 is a great engine, they feel very balanced and smooth and they do love to rev.

But anyone who tells you a 2000 engine doesn't like to rev probably hasn't driven a good one. IMHO a 2000 engine can be every bit as revvy and satisfying as a 1750 with a lot more torque. The nice thing about any of the Alfa 4-cylinder engines is that you can really fine tune the power curve by simply changing cams and/or cam timing, and you will end up with an engine that works for you.

I have both (in different cars) so I'm not just being biased.
That helps a lot. I didn't know that. I don't want to narrow my focus too heavily and felt only looking at 1750s was doing that a bit.

I keep hearing you can get these cars in the mid 20s but haven't really found a good source for them at that price w/o needing tons of work. Any thoughts on realistic pricing expectations?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Steve

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
My 2 Cents

thought I'd chime in here as I am in the process (have been for about 6 months now) of turning my garage from all German to Italian:grin2:
been looking for 2 cars specifically...a 69 to 71 GTV and a Lancia Fulvia S1 1.3s.....wonderful cars in their own right and a sheer joy to drive...
prices have been on the climb as of late for the "right" car...by that I mean principally (when speaking Alfa) cars that have had the rust issues addressed...and on that vintage Alfa...italian for that matter there are quite a few....
the advice that has been given to me I will pass to you...buy the BEST one you can afford...don't look for the bargain as that will cost you more in $$$ and heartache in the end....mechanicals on these are easier to source & sort than tackling a car with big rust issues...for the 105's the front rockers, floor pans, trunk area and around the glass...
I've budgeted 20k for the right car and they are getting harder to find...lost a few at auction....but I can tell you that the drive is nothing short of intoxicating!....balance, power to weight, steering & that sound....they are just so much fun to drive...you get transported back in time with these....
good luck in your search!...
oh BTW if you find someone willing to give you a ride/drive in a GTA...let me know>:) those little babies are 6 figure cars lately...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts