Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
The idea of heated seats and wheel is to get them warm and then switch it off. Not to drive all the time with heating on.
My mum used to tell me I'd get piles if I sat on the central heating radiator in our home. Same problem here I imagine...:unsure::oops:馃サ

Registered
Sorry! Can you at least test how hot your seats get?
how do you want to test it?
Activate the seat heat without sitting and look on parameters or measure with IR ?

I think without sitting the leather does not get warm because there is no pressure on it. And I think if I measured after been driving the own body heat will Fake the temperature.

sorry for my bad English :(

Registered
鈥19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
The idea of heated seats and wheel is to get them warm and then switch it off. Not to drive all the time with heating on.
Why do you think that?! I鈥檝e had seat heaters since the 鈥80鈥檚, and I鈥檝e never heard such a thing.

Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
Why do you think that?! I鈥檝e had seat heaters since the 鈥80鈥檚, and I鈥檝e never heard such a thing.
Agreed. My first car with heated seats was a 1984 SAAB 900, and there were no controls; activation was automatic. I never felt them much, perhaps because the seats were covered with velour rather than leather. With the Giulia and other more recent cars, I usually switch to the lowest setting after 10-20 minutes (and often turn off the steering wheel heat).

Registered
The proper way to diagnose heated seat elements is not with a temperature gun but with an ohm meter.... if your technician doesn't know the resistance readings on both seat elements then he didn't diagnose it properly..... I don't have the specs in front of me but if you want to know what they are shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll get them to you....
Correct yes, but the temperature method is quick, easy and doable in front of the service advisor. Show a variance and make them chase it.

Reactions: Crosshairs

Registered
I鈥檝e read in the German forum
That there is an update for this problem but there is no update number or which ecu is updated. It鈥檚 because of battery management the heaters will be activated later or not on full power.
it鈥檚 the same as with rear window defroster. I noticed that sometime it activates fast and sometimes it takes a lot of time.

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
I checked mine today with MES, seems seats heat up to around 95 degrees and steering wheel will get up to around 103. Didn鈥檛 see any way to adjust anything just monitor

Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
I'm in CT and mine keep me warm and I have to turn them off after a while. level 3 is easily as hot as my audi was and subaru .

Registered
Because you have 3 degrees of heater strength. Eventually, when the temperature of the seat gets to comfortable level for the but, you switch either to two or one notch on the button.With one notch it is still heating and when temp in the cabin gets to normal warmth, I think it is not needed to continue heating my but anymore, because it is already heated. 馃槀 I never used heating all the time on my seat when driving, only at the beginning and this was in my all previous cars.

Registered
These seats don't get that hot. We have other cars, including a previously mentioned X3 (along with a 128) where the seats get much hotter and get there much quicker. They are how they are. My X3 and 128 seats will get to 45C. I think the Giulia will get to a max of 35C. At 45C you have to turn then down or you'll burn your butt; minimum setting on both BMW's is 33C.

Anyway ...

Registered
鈥19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Agreed. My first car with heated seats was a 1984 SAAB 900, and there were no controls; activation was automatic. I never felt them much, perhaps because the seats were covered with velour rather than leather. With the Giulia and other more recent cars, I usually switch to the lowest setting after 10-20 minutes (and often turn off the steering wheel heat).
'83 Volvo 245 DL for me, shortly after I got my license in '86. I vaguely recall switches, but maybe just on/off. Saabs came later for me, a trio of 900s ('88,'89, '96), and a 9000. I think all of those had heat level adjustment, but I'm not sure. Nice cars; I miss Saab!

Reactions: Alfa Nut

Registered
鈥19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Because you have 3 degrees of heater strength. Eventually, when the temperature of the seat gets to comfortable level for the but, you switch either to two or one notch on the button.With one notch it is still heating and when temp in the cabin gets to normal warmth, I think it is not needed to continue heating my but anymore, because it is already heated. 馃槀 I never used heating all the time on my seat when driving, only at the beginning and this was in my all previous cars.
Interesting assessment, butI can only assume if we weren't meant to drive around with seat heaters on, Alfa would just tell us not to do it, and make all the levels shut off automatically at some point, rather than just the minimum. My MY19 owner's manual says, "The 鈥渕inimum鈥 setting is automatically deactivated once a certain period of time has elapsed. This varies on a case-by-case basis, in accordance with the specific operating conditions.
Note: The heated seat function can only be activated in temperatures below 39掳F (4掳C)."

Further, besides not telling us not to drive around with the heaters on, the manual warns sensitivity impaired people to exercise caution when using them, even on low, for extended periods. Again, from the MY19 manual:
"Persons who are unable to feel pain to the skin because of advanced age, chronic illness, diabetes, spinal cord injury, medication, alcohol use, exhaustion or other physical condition must exercise care when using the seat heater. It may cause burns even at low temperatures, especially if used for long periods of time."

My takeaway from all that is to run the heaters as you please, but don't pass out drunk with the car running, the passanger seat heater on high, and your face on the passenger seat. ;)

Reactions: Anunnaki

Registered
'83 Volvo 245 DL for me, shortly after I got my license in '86. I vaguely recall switches, but maybe just on/off. Saabs came later for me, a trio of 900s ('88,'89, '96), and a 9000. I think all of those had heat level adjustment, but I'm not sure. Nice cars; I miss Saab!
If memory serves, my 1989 9000S (which had leather seats) had two temperature settings for its heated seats. My next Swedish car was a 2001 Volvo S80. Bunch of Fords between them. Not sure how many of them (if any) had heated seats.

Registered

Registered
Interesting assessment, butI can only assume if we weren't meant to drive around with seat heaters on, Alfa would just tell us not to do it, and make all the levels shut off automatically at some point, rather than just the minimum. My MY19 owner's manual says, "The 鈥渕inimum鈥 setting is automatically deactivated once a certain period of time has elapsed. This varies on a case-by-case basis, in accordance with the specific operating conditions.
Note: The heated seat function can only be activated in temperatures below 39掳F (4掳C)."

Further, besides not telling us not to drive around with the heaters on, the manual warns sensitivity impaired people to exercise caution when using them, even on low, for extended periods. Again, from the MY19 manual:
"Persons who are unable to feel pain to the skin because of advanced age, chronic illness, diabetes, spinal cord injury, medication, alcohol use, exhaustion or other physical condition must exercise care when using the seat heater. It may cause burns even at low temperatures, especially if used for long periods of time."

My takeaway from all that is to run the heaters as you please, but don't pass out drunk with the car running, the passanger seat heater on high, and your face on the passenger seat. ;)
Interesting.My heated seats working above 4C too.

Registered
鈥19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Interesting.My heated seats working above 4C too.
Yeah, that was my first thought about mine, too, but I haven鈥檛 actually confirmed it.

Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
Yeah, that was my first thought about mine, too, but I haven鈥檛 actually confirmed it.
The auto comfort setting or whatever it's called will activate them automatically below 4C. Strange wording on their part, but it's Alfa, so... what do we expect?

Reactions: YellowDuc

Registered
鈥19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
The auto comfort setting or whatever it's called will activate them automatically below 4C. Strange wording on their part, but it's Alfa, so... what do we expect?
That could be the way to explain it! How silly, though, to come up with 鈥渃an only be activated鈥 when the meaning should be 鈥渨ill automatically activate.鈥 I guess writing owner鈥檚 manuals is complicated.

Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
That could be the way to explain it! How silly, though, to come up with 鈥渃an only be activated鈥 when the meaning should be 鈥渨ill automatically activate.鈥 I guess writing owner鈥檚 manuals is complicated.
Well, I know in the IT world, technical writing is an art form that most people don't possess the skills for... Myself included!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts