Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found older posts regarding the seat heaters, and have read most of them. It seems owners are either very happy with the way the seat heaters work, or owners state, they are "inadequate."
Mine are inadequate. I have taken my Giulia to Alfa Romeo of Scottsdale, AZ., where I have always received professional, friendly, and timely service. (I highly recommend them.)
I stated to the service advisor, Jon, that the seats do not heat up as well as my friend's Giulia, and that is precisely how he worded it on my repair order. (My friend also has a 2018 TI Sport, and the seats in his Giulia heat up quickly and get nice and warm, much like the B.M.W. X3 he also owns.)The technician, Will, gave me a copy of the repair order stating that..."The driver's seat is getting to 100 degrees on the highest setting. The seat heater is working properly at this time."

Of course, I live in the desert of Phoenix, Arizona, and most of the time seat heaters aren't an issue, if anything, it's too hot here. However, t does get cold in the winter months with mornings in the '30s. And, the seats don't get to 100 degrees when the temperature is 30 degrees outside. When the tech tested the seats, it's was probably 70 degrees in the shop, and raising the seat temperature to 100 degrees just indicates to me, that they are turning on. Maybe, I am being too picky, but I don't think so. Too many owners out there in GIULIA FORUMS.COM LAND have been unhappy with the performance of the seat heaters. They fall short of performing as well as other vehicles we presently own or have owned in the past... Myself included.
I may have to move back to Connecticut, and the seat heaters in my car won't make a dent in 0-degree winter weather there. The seat heaters are marginal, at best, for 45-degree weather. I turn them on, and after 10 minutes, the seats aren't any warmer than what my body heat would generate in a car without seat heaters.

Might there be a way to boost the amount of heat to the seats? Is there a relay, thermostat, or something regulating the temperature that can be adjusted or overridden?
Is there a simple workaround solution someone has stumbled across?
Has anyone brought their car in for service with the complaint of the seat heaters not working adequately, and had it resolved?
If you have... What did the dealership do? Can you P.M. a copy of the repair order or please let me know what solution was found?

I appreciate any and all information regarding a solution.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Honestly, get an infrared thermometer, and get a reading of your seat temp with heaters off and on full...get a reading of your friends with the good heaters...compare. If there is a significant difference, go to dealer and complaint by showing them your temperature on full and compare it to their demo Giulia with heaters.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The proper way to diagnose heated seat elements is not with a temperature gun but with an ohm meter.... if your technician doesn't know the resistance readings on both seat elements then he didn't diagnose it properly..... I don't have the specs in front of me but if you want to know what they are shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll get them to you....

·
Registered
287 Posts
They are weak. I found after having them on a few minutes, if not hot enough, turn them off completely for a few seconds, then switch back on to max heat, about 3 times as effective I've found (same with the steering wheel).

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
While the seats don't get cooking hot on max setting, they do get reasonably warm such that I feel comfortable on cold mornings. I use it every day in the winter when temperatures are below 8 deg Celcius.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
148 Posts
Mine don’t get hot. Never thought much of it. I just figured they weren’t quite as hot as my last car. I don’t have much for comparison though.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,368 Posts
My hot setting only gets to about the low setting of my other cars. It does work, but it's not hot enough by any stretch of the imagination.

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Giulia Ti Sport Q4
196 Posts
Mine get as warm as the Challenger or Subaru. I normally turn them off after about five minutes of driving, same with the steering wheel.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,221 Posts
My hot setting eventually becomes uncomfortable, ditto the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have the same experience as Chipshot and others. I have noticed that in MES you can set the heat of both the seats and heated steering wheel. Never done it but I wonder if yours is set low. Couple be a very simple fix... Do you have MES?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I find my steering wheel to be a little to hot sometimes to the point where I have to turn it off.
My heated seat seem to work normally. I could measure the temp via a infrared thermometer and get back to you guys.

my only question is, I’d measure in the morning when the seats are nice and cold once I turn the seats on how long should I wait before recording the temp?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have the same experience as Chipshot and others. I have noticed that in MES you can set the heat of both the seats and heated steering wheel. Never done it but I wonder if yours is set low. Couple be a very simple fix... Do you have MES?
Thanks for the advice.
My friend ordered one from Jason at ALFISSIMO and we are waiting
for the "kit," with the cables and software to arrive.
I will check it out.
Thank you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The proper way to diagnose heated seat elements is not with a temperature gun but with an ohm meter.... if your technician doesn't know the resistance readings on both seat elements then he didn't diagnose it properly..... I don't have the specs in front of me but if you want to know what they are shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll get them to you....
They are weak. I found after having them on a few minutes, if not hot enough, turn them off completely for a few seconds, then switch back on to max heat, about 3 times as effective I've found (same with the steering wheel).
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give that a try this week.
This coming week, it is supposed to be in the mid-thirties in the mornings.
Thanks!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The idea of heated seats and wheel is to get them warm and then switch it off. Not to drive all the time with heating on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello
Where do you find it?
I can not find this option. Thank you

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Hello
Where do you find it?
I can not find this option. Thank you
I haven't tried myself but this is where I thought you could try:
choose CLIMATE CONTROL
and then COMFORT SEAT AND WHEEEL (CSWM) BITRON
and then you can check the temp under PARAMETERS and hopefully make changes under CALIBRATE or ADJUSTMENTS

Good luck!
Rumi

·
Registered
576 Posts
A "calibration" is the only thing I can find:

No adjustments, as far as I can see...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts