Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More recently I've been driving in the warmer (read still 40s/50s) weather with the fan/heater/ac off, yet I still feel warm air coming through the air vents. So even though it's still cold outside and I don't have heat turned on, it still feels hot inside the vehicle, so I need to turn the fan/ac on to 70 to cool things down.

Is this because the engine is so hot that it radiates into the cabin?

· Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,422 Posts
More recently I've been driving in the warmer (read still 40s/50s) weather with the fan/heater/ac off, yet I still feel warm air coming through the air vents. So even though it's still cold outside and I don't have heat turned on, it still feels hot inside the vehicle, so I need to turn the fan/ac on to 70 to cool things down.

With the fan off you can still get air flow if the HVAC is not in recirc. That may confuse the bejesus out of the blend air temperature control system.

My Q4 does not behave the way that you describe, although I do notice a warm spot on the floor where my right foot rests, which is sort-of above the exhaust pipe.

· Registered
Giulia Q 2017
106 Posts

I also experienced this but in warmer weather ( 25+ celcius).
Like you said, the engine of the Quadrifoglio produces a lot of heat and without the AC on it gets easily warm in the car.

With temps you are referring to, i really need to turn the AC on to warm the car or else its just too cold.

· Registered
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With the fan off you can still get air flow if the HVAC is not in recirc. That may confuse the bejesus out of the blend air temperature control system.

My Q4 does not behave the way that you describe, although I do notice a warm spot on the floor where my right foot rests, which is sort-of above the exhaust pipe.
That's a good point about the recirc, I will check that next time

I also experienced this but in warmer weather ( 25+ celcius).
Like you said, the engine of the Quadrifoglio produces a lot of heat and without the AC on it gets easily warm in the car.

With temps you are referring to, i really need to turn the AC on to warm the car or else its just too cold.
Yeah that's what I'm finding. It seems like may be normal since the system works fine when it's on

· Registered
1,273 Posts
for my cars going back to the '890's, all of them had some warming of the ambient air from engine heat in the ducting. Mostly noticeable to me in the comfortable 60-70 or so temps. I think car manufacturers expect drivers to always drive with the windows closed, and use the HVAC to be comfortable. Me, I grew up with English ragtops, and to this day, if at all possible, drive with my windows down, enjoying the scenery and the experience. My wife never has a window down, blows her hair too much. If you look around, it seems no one drives with with open cars. So they are using their AC to be comfortable.

So on cool days like now, in my QV, with my windows down, to avoid warm air blowing in my face, I direct the air to the footwells, where I don't feel it.

Why insulate behind the dash If most drivers couldn't care less if it blows warm. NV

· Registered
5 Posts
Try turning on your A/C, lowering the temp all the way down and then shutting it off. If your A/C temp is set to a warmer temp than ambient, you'll get warm air even if the A/C is off and in "Vent" mode. Every car I have ever owned has behaved like this.

Reactions: Avnyc11 and lockem

· Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
9,422 Posts
Try turning on your A/C, lowering the temp all the way down and then shutting it off. If your A/C temp is set to a warmer temp than ambient, you'll get warm air even if the A/C is off and in "Vent" mode. Every car I have ever owned has behaved like this.
Or just keep the fan on, which how I operate my Giulia.

In a blend-air system like Giulia and just about every vehicle made since the 1990s has, engine coolant is constantly circulating through the heater coil. Temperature is controlled by a vane that directs air flow through either the heater coil or the AC evaporator coil. This "new" scheme avoids the need for a troublesome engine coolant control valve. Anyway, if the fan is off the HVAC controller may decide that there is no point in moving the temperature control vane.

· Registered
6,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm going to experiment more next time I get to drive the car, won't be till the weekend 😭

1 - 8 of 8 Posts