Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Here's some news.

I've got hold of a 2020 shifter and tried a few things today.

Simply swapping them "plug and play" and executing a proxy alignment resulted in the following error message:
View attachment 106938

That's kind of what I expected. @Beta Romeo has already tried it without success.

The next step I took was to swap the internal electronics (left: old, right: new):
View attachment 106939

After plugging it in and executing another proxy alignment (which failed! - and shouldn't be necessary, since it's the same electronics?!), I got the following errors:
View attachment 106940

Notes:
  • At no point when the new shifter was installed (regardless of old/new electronics) were the LEDs lit. Reading errors through MES was obviously possible.
  • The "Gear selector lever return actuator" (electronic motor) has the same part number (new and old)
  • All the pins and colors of the wires match up

I'm kind of lost now, as to what we could try next.
Maybe I'll have some time to play around with it next week. Waiting for input from all of you in the meantime ;)
Another quick note with what I found, the lever handle itself can easily be separated from the base, however the new lever throws the same codes with the old base.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I don't think the transmission has to be in N.

The (sometimes incorrect or misleading) notes mention the gear lever being in N - and that's just the "normal" position.

@Beta Romeo did you also try the "replacement function" back when you attempted this?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I don't think the transmission has to be in N.

The (sometimes incorrect or misleading) notes mention the gear lever being in N - and that's just the "normal" position.

@Beta Romeo did you also try the "replacement function" back when you attempted this?
Yes, under WiTech and MES. I can't remember the error, but I couldn't get either to complete.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I took apart the new 2020 shifter today to some extent, but I didn't have the guts to remove the actual leather-knob from the base.
It just didn't feel safe (pulling and twisting, as you've written back in april @Beta Romeo)

Some guy on the stelvio forum claims that it's been done.

Interestingly, the guy on the italian forums also posted a photo from a stelvio interior... :unsure:

I wanted to ask a queston on the italian forums, but the page seems to be down right now for maintenance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
It could be that old/new lever handle itself inside has different resistance on buttons hence old base PCB not working with new lever.
Get multimeter and meassure on lever handle connector resistance when pressing buttons etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Get multimeter and meassure on lever handle connector resistance when pressing buttons etc.
I've also had this thought in the back of my head. Will do that next weekend.

Although all measurements are basically worthless - these are CAN / LIN Bus devices after all...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've also had this thought in the back of my head. Will do that next weekend.

Although all measurements are basically worthless - these are CAN / LIN Bus devices after all...
You don't do testing for resistance on shifter connector itself which connects to car. You do it on connector which should connect shifter handle to shifter PCB. At least I guess there should be one as haven't seen one dissasembled.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You don't do testing for resistance on shifter connector itself which connects to car. You do it on connector which should connect shifter handle to shifter PCB. At least I guess there should be one as haven't seen one dissasembled.
Yes.
We are talking about the same thing.

But there are only 3 wires running to the shifter handle itself. You can't control multiple buttons and LEDs with just one wire - that thing has to have "complex" electronics in it aswell.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yes.
We are talking about the same thing.

But there are only 3 wires running to the shifter handle itself. You can't control multiple buttons and LEDs with just one wire - that thing has to have "complex" electronics in it aswell.
I believe it is an internal network. I don't think a resistance check will work. Here is what is in the shift knob:

·
Registered
452 Posts
By the look of ICs on PCB looks like it's more complicated than just resistors. Can't see writings on chips but most likely there is even eeprom in on of them.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
the service manual gives the following description (see in particular the Note at the end) :

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
DESCRIPTION
The Electronic Shift Module (ESM) is part of the shifter assembly called the Shift Lever Assembly (SLA). If it is necessary to service the ESM, the entire shifter must be replaced.
OPERATION

• The shifter assembly incorporates an electronic control module called an Electronic Shifter Module (ESM). The ESM communicates with the Transmission Control Module (TCM) and other modules on the Controller Area Network (CAN) C Bus.
  • The ESM is connected to the vehicle wire harness with a single 12 way connector located at the shifter.
  • The ESM can set Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) when a fault is detected.
  • The ESM processes the up/downshift requests when operating in manual mode and communicates the request to the TCM.
  • The ESM processes requests from the TCM to open or close the Brake Transmission Shifter Interlock (BTSI) solenoid located in the shifter
and

REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION

NOTE:
If this Electronic Control Unit (ECU) is being replaced with a new unit, use a diagnostic scan tool to perform the Flash Programming Procedure (if available). This will confirm that the module is updated to the latest applicable software level.​

The Electronic Shifter Module (ESM) is part of the shifter assembly. Please (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic/SHIFTER, Transmission/Removal and Installation)

·
Registered
577 Posts
I believe it is an internal network. I don't think a resistance check will work. Here is what is in the shift knob:

View attachment 107017
Thanks!
How did you manage to get this thing out of the lever?

I'm in contact with someone at the moment who knows someone who's successfully done it by changing this board from the 2020 model for the old one.
(wow that sounds stupid)

I'll keep this thread updated once I have more info from him / them...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Thanks!
How did you manage to get this thing out of the lever?

I'm in contact with someone at the moment who knows someone who's successfully done it by changing this board from the 2020 model for the old one.
(wow that sounds stupid)

I'll keep this thread updated once I have more info from him / them...
It was a bad shifter, so I took it apart for science. The problem is the 2017 board will not physically fit in the 2020 shifter. The mounting is different.

·
Registered
Giulia veloce 2.2 210, Giulietta 2.0 170 cv
7 Posts
Today I have tried to swap the lever, I’ve disassembled the old lever upper pcb to inspect it and unfortunately the old 2017 board is completely different from the 2020, maybe is possible to swap only the two ic’s from the old to the new board.
The swap by software is possible at 100% because here, in Italy, some guys who are called ENG-CUSTOM are able to swap and correctly configure the new lever in the 2017 versions, same guys successfully install the new 2020 infotainment in the older versions.
Tomorrow i will try to make a little reverse engineering of the two boards.
Sorry for my bad English ahah

·
Registered
Giulia veloce 2.2 210, Giulietta 2.0 170 cv
7 Posts
It was a bad shifter, so I took it apart for science. The problem is the 2017 board will physically fit in the 2020 shifter. The mounting is different.
What is the right way to disassemble the 2020 upper lever pcb?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Today I have tried to swap the lever, I’ve disassembled the old lever upper pcb to inspect it and unfortunately the old 2017 board is completely different from the 2020, maybe is possible to swap only the two ic’s from the old to the new board.
The swap by software is possible at 100% because here, in Italy, some guys who are called ENG-CUSTOM are able to swap and correctly configure the new lever in the 2017 versions, same guys successfully install the new 2020 infotainment in the older versions.
Tomorrow i will try to make a little reverse engineering of the two boards.
Sorry for my bad English ahah
They have retrofitted the OEM 2020 touch panel system into a 2019-earlier car? Impressive!

I'd be interested in a 2020 shifter if there was a plug and play solution (with the exception of matching to the car). Then the shifter would match the 2020 steering wheel in my 2019 :)

Reactions: GottWhat
61 - 80 of 97 Posts