Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Thanks but that looks a bit like a sleeve over the top rather than a something fitted... I think I answered my own question if you remove the plastic trim from the gear-lever and cover in something even if thin leather it won't easily fit back on the shifter. Shame. I am also looking at the door cards and wondering if I can have those leather covered by an automotive trimmer.
Correct on the shifter. Did you get the leather option with door uppers and dash in leather?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did its a QF Stelvio (I know wrong forum) ... but noticeable that in between the carbon and leather is the door card that shows below door caps and as the same part down to the door bins and the plastic isn't great. If I speak to a trimmer I will update.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Someone on the italian forums claims that this does indeed work.

@Crosshairs have you messed around with the shifter assembly again, since your last tests?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Oh. Sorry

Thanks!

Apparently someone in Germany has already done it aswell.
From what I can see the old shifter is easy to remove and plug the new one in once you unclip the existing surround and reuse it. The issue @Beta Romeo had was getting the transmission module to accept it via Proxi. Do you have any more details of how the one on Facebook and Germany have done it? I am willing to give it a go with MES4.7 . If it doesn't work I can always return the item as long as I am careful.

·
Registered
576 Posts
From what I can see the old shifter is easy to remove and plug the new one in once you unclip the existing surround and reuse it. The issue @Beta Romeo had was getting the transmission module to accept it via Proxi. Do you have any more details of how the one on Facebook and Germany have done it? I am willing to give it a go with MES4.7 . If it doesn't work I can always return the item as long as I am careful.
I'm in the same boat.

Bugging the germans right now, to find out more ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm in the same boat.

Bugging the germans right now, to find out more ;)
looking forward to hear back from you . I would so much like to change this piece

·
Registered
576 Posts
looking forward to hear back from you . I would so much like to change this piece
No response from them yet - maybe there was a misconception.
Does anyone who speaks italian want to try their luck in the italian forums? :)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Maybe @MDriver Or @Michele can help with asking the italian forum?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Any more luck?

·
Registered
576 Posts
No news so far, but I haven't given up yet.
I'll keep this thread updated, should things change.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Here's some news.

I've got hold of a 2020 shifter and tried a few things today.

Simply swapping them "plug and play" and executing a proxy alignment resulted in the following error message:

That's kind of what I expected. @Beta Romeo has already tried it without success.

The next step I took was to swap the internal electronics (left: old, right: new):

After plugging it in and executing another proxy alignment (which failed! - and shouldn't be necessary, since it's the same electronics?!), I got the following errors:

Notes:
  • At no point when the new shifter was installed (regardless of old/new electronics) were the LEDs lit. Reading errors through MES was obviously possible.
  • The "Gear selector lever return actuator" (electronic motor) has the same part number (new and old)
  • All the pins and colors of the wires match up

I'm kind of lost now, as to what we could try next.
Maybe I'll have some time to play around with it next week. Waiting for input from all of you in the meantime ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Thanks for the update @stocki . Hopefully one of the more electonic geeky members would be able to chime in. No clues from the Italian or German forums? Isn't there a gearbox lever position learning function under MES? I vaguely recall something long those lines. Will have a look.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Thanks for the update @stocki . Hopefully one of the more electonic geeky members would be able to chime in. No clues from the Italian or German forums? Isn't there a gearbox lever position learning function under MES? I vaguely recall something long those lines. Will have a look.
Oh **** you're right. Thanks!

Well - there's my lockdown-plan for next weekend ;)

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am puzzled by LEDs not lighting up when connected though. Perhaps there is some different resistance in the newer lever which is not powering them up? Having said that it did not light up with the newer PCB either. Try the lever adaptation. Not sure if it needs another Proxi. If you email Yanni from MES via the Multiecuscan support email he normally responds quickly.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am puzzled by LEDs not lighting up when connected though. Perhaps there is some different resistance in the newer lever which is not powering them up? Having said that it did not light up with the newer PCB either. Try the lever adaptation. Not sure if it needs another Proxi. If you email Yanni from MES via the Multiecuscan support email he normally responds quickly.
The LEDs light up according to the selected gear.

Since it doesn't know anything (CAN Error), I can understand this.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
@stocki, the MES notes say the gear lever must be in Neutral, if it's not working how do you put it in N? You may have to leave in Neutral using the old lever.

·
Registered
286 Posts
@stocki, the MES notes say the gear lever must be in Neutral, if it's not working how do you put it in N? You may have to leave in Neutral using the old lever.
That's interesting! Maybe put a bolt into the transmission to hold it in neutral or leave the car in the "on" position and neutral with engine off and install the new shifter like that, without turning off?

41 - 60 of 87 Posts