Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a 2020 looks like they added leather to the gear shift. While its still the cheap plastic, the leather def. helps the look and feel.

Anybody buy one and install yet? Here's a pic

is it just plug / play?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Curious about that and if the silver bezel around the gear selector can just replace the current plastic one.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Saw a 2020 looks like they added leather to the gear shift. While its still the cheap plastic, the leather def. helps the look and feel.

Anybody buy one and install yet? Here's a pic

is it just plug / play? View attachment 95404
There’s another thread on this somewhere. Last I heard, someone had one on order, but don’t think it’s been received or installed yet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don't think you can replace the bezel as the parking brake switch has now moved next to it.
The parking brake switch was obviously in a different place pre 2020.
You may be able to change just the gear selector and keep you existing bezel

·
Registered
618 Posts
There’s another thread on this somewhere. Last I heard, someone had one on order, but don’t think it’s been received or installed yet.
Here's the other thread:

·
Registered
23 Posts
“You may be able to change just the gear selector and keep you existing bezel”

Yea, works for me. Would do this in a heartbeat, esp w the alcantara model from the new GTA. The quad mode would also work as a fallback

·
Registered
156 Posts
“You may be able to change just the gear selector and keep you existing bezel”

Yea, works for me. Would do this in a heartbeat, esp w the alcantara model from the new GTA. The quad mode would also work as a fallback
I am all in also on this. Luckily somebody somewhere will do this swap :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
.....and if we could have some aftermarket vendor to create a new cover featuring the italian colors , that would also be nice .. Quick sketch to show the idea....

·
Registered
338 Posts
I just posted this in another shifter thread but thought I'd share my findings: Attempted a shifter swap (2020 to 2017) and was unable to proxi the new unit... Since the proxi failed, I was actually able to swap the circuit board from the old to the new shifter to find out the shifter itself has a different internal configuration. The car sets codes for improper gear selection in the electric shift module. I think the new 2020 cars have different resistors in the shifter which are interpreted by the new internal electronics. I don't see a way around this unfortunately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just posted this in another shifter thread but thought I'd share my findings: Attempted a shifter swap (2020 to 2017) and was unable to proxi the new unit... Since the proxi failed, I was actually able to swap the circuit board from the old to the new shifter to find out the shifter itself has a different internal configuration. The car sets codes for improper gear selection in the electric shift module. I think the new 2020 cars have different resistors in the shifter which are interpreted by the new internal electronics. I don't see a way around this unfortunately.
this fucking sucks.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I remember seeing in MES an option under the Gerabox/Electronic Gearshifter module (cannot remember the exact description), there is an option to learn the replacement gear shifter lever. Did you see/do that in Witech before trying the Proxi alignment? I will have a look at MES and post the screenshot.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I remember seeing in MES an option under the Gerabox/Electronic Gearshifter module (cannot remember the exact description), there is an option to learn the replacement gear shifter lever. Did you see/do that in Witech before trying the Proxi alignment? I will have a look at MES and post the screenshot.
In MES the lever learn is under the Gearbox rather than the Electronic shifter module. See attached. Not sure if this will work for the newer lever though as the instructions says lever should be in Neutral.

20200422_123134.jpg
20200422_123038.jpg

·
Registered
813 Posts
.....and if we could have some aftermarket vendor to create a new cover featuring the italian colors , that would also be nice .. Quick sketch to show the idea....

View attachment 96382
I took your approach and found that on eBay you can purchase a CF shifter bezel and a small stick-on Italian flag. Total cost $25.99 + $2.99. These items might work:

Plus: Italy Italian Flag Metal Logo Emblem Badge Car SUV Sticker Auto Motorcycle Decor | eBay

Together:

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I took your approach and found that on eBay you can purchase a CF shifter bezel and a small stick-on Italian flag. Total cost $25.99 + $2.99. These items might work:

View attachment 97644

Plus: Italy Italian Flag Metal Logo Emblem Badge Car SUV Sticker Auto Motorcycle Decor | eBay

View attachment 97645

Together:

View attachment 97646
That Bezel is not CF. It is cheap printed ABS and not a nice look. I bought one and returned it pronto.

Reactions: maddmike

·
Registered
394 Posts

Well that's too bad. I was hoping to swap in the 2020 shifter to match the 2020 steering wheel in my 2019.

Nothing stopping the aftermarket from redoing a 2017-2019 handle with leather, though.

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
813 Posts
That Bezel is not CF. It is cheap printed ABS and not a nice look. I bought one and returned it pronto.
Fair enough and thanks for the heads up. I didn’t order one so that’s good! I may get the little stick-on flag emblems and see if they look okay anywhere on the car. They are cheap enough so it won’t matter too much if there junk.

·
Registered
338 Posts
In MES the lever learn is under the Gearbox rather than the Electronic shifter module. See attached. Not sure if this will work for the newer lever though as the instructions says lever should be in Neutral.

View attachment 97642 View attachment 97643
So when I tried this it was a month ago, and thinking back through the fog, I think I mispoke about the proxi. I don't think I could actually proxi the unit(through the proxi function) and had to use a "unit replacement" function under the ESM (in WiTech). I still have the shifter but now filled with self-doubt. I will try to mess with it again. Maybe I'll try with MES. If successful, possibly re-evaulate my career choice ?‍?. Wish me luck!

1 - 20 of 138 Posts