Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Europe their systems are being updated to ver 2 and are able to download map update to usb stick. Does anybody have info in the USA?

·
Registered
138 Posts
After speaking to a Alfa rep. On another issue ie.rough start , he had states their are 3 ways it could go 1 dealer installed update 2 from the server itself, I guess whomever the gps is run by Tom tom? 3 USB , but then I asked the cost and could not get a answer, I know my wifes Honda is around $189 every 3 years. Plus Garmin is the only company that offers free update for the life of the unit, so let's hope for the best!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
The Nav unit is TomTom. The Giulia owner's manual says, "Take it to the dealer." TomTom wants money for new map downloads.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Here's an interesting note on this...and a story and thought.

I have my Giulia in to get necessary RRT's and ask if there isn't a so update. So the dealer doesn't know of one, but checks with Alfa Technical and they say there is and they'll send it to them. So a few hours later I check back in and my Giulia is stuck in a continuous update loop and Alfa Technical has recommended to get out of it they need to download the Mac version of the file, not the PC version. The Mac version is a smaller file!

So, this suggests to me that the update file is probably a COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) file from a vendor (TomTom?) that the dealer was provided a link to. Given the infotainment update was finicky (install from a 16GB or less flash drive, formatted NFTS, after all modules have "gone to sleep"), this would explain the file size issue. A computer savvy friend explained that a PC or Mac database file is roughly the same thing, as long as there are no executable elements, so it is conceivable that the decision to use the Mac version makes sense.

Ok, making a long story short, this sugggests that we should be able to update our maps ourselves, keeping in mind a battery tender is called for during updates and that European customers can. I'm just wondering if this is a decision made based upon the U.S. legal climate and the propensity of navigation users to get lost or killed due to stupidity in following directions.

Anyone with a kind of technical knowledge here that can evaluate his theory?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts