Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have no idea if there are any issues with doing this from a mechanical or electronic perspective (and have wondered the same myself). I will caution you with one thing that’s happened to me a few times while doing this though... If you come to a stop and the auto start/stop cuts the engine before you push the button to turn the car off, it won’t actually shut off. Since the engine is cut, you won’t hear or feel it running, but as soon as you take your foot off the brake to exit the car, it will spring back to life. Not a big deal if there’s lots of space in front of you, but this could definitely do some damage if you park really close to something in front of your car. Had this happen to me twice (luckily nothing directly in front of me), so now I’m always sure to visually look for the park light on the shifter before removing my foot from the brake.

Reactions: rjmcinnis and ybba

·
Registered
787 Posts
If I turn off engine, car go's into park by itself, and engages park brake (setting in options for park brake).

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,738 Posts
I have no idea if there are any issues with doing this from a mechanical or electronic perspective (and have wondered the same myself). I will caution you with one thing that’s happened to me a few times while doing this though... If you come to a stop and the auto start/stop cuts the engine before you push the button to turn the car off, it won’t actually shut off. Since the engine is cut, you won’t hear or feel it running, but as soon as you take your foot off the brake to exit the car, it will spring back to life. Not a big deal if there’s lots of space in front of you, but this could definitely do some damage if you park really close to something in front of your car. Had this happen to me twice (luckily nothing directly in front of me), so now I’m always sure to visually look for the park light on the shifter before removing my foot from the brake.
Here is another, related sequence that Giulia does not handle well.

Start-stop on.
Pull up to stop sign or light.
Pop into neutral to make the stop smooth.
Engine stops and car stops with car in neutral.

Try to get the car back into drive now...

I had to disable start-stop to get moving again.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Just like riparke, I pull into the garage, by then the start/stop button is always off. I hit the stop button, the engine shuts off, parking brake auto on, the mirrors fold in, lights off after my designated 30 second time, etc. It is great, as you have time, to wonder thru the owner's manual, the Giulia YouTube many short tutorials and also the infotainment screen car manual by the numbers to set all the many control options available. My Giulia is now set for all the programmable functions on auto exactly the way I want them. Well worth the time to set it all to your liking. :D

·
Registered
787 Posts
First thing I do with a new car is go thru all the options to set it how I like it.

Reactions: kattlin
1 - 6 of 6 Posts