Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I’ve just ordered a 2019 MY in the UK. There are a few changes I’m aware of, eg split folding rear seats and a fifth seat belt, Black anodised standard calipers, but are there any other more subtle changes people are aware of?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds exciting. What is it?

I was hoping that some of the interior plastics may have been improved, eg the gear selector, and some of the perceived quality / feel of the interior components, eg the rotary controller.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
That sounds exciting. What is it?

I was hoping that some of the interior plastics may have been improved, eg the gear selector, and some of the perceived quality / feel of the interior components, eg the rotary controller.
It's not. It means the DNA selector reverts to N with each startup no matter what mode you were in previously

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You might try reading this thread on the same subject. It's only 360 posts long, but most of it is off topic.
-> 2019-model-changes

The one thing that I recall is the 2019 QV will be getting a center folding rear seat.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yeah, it's not very exciting.

BTW, small changes along the lines of the ones you mention are made all the time, for a number of reasons, like fixing issues that have cropped up during testing or in the field, or improving the product, or for cost reduction... it can even get to over a hundred of tiny changes in a year.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Wow, that sounds like a horrible change.
Yeah, but thankfully it's not coming on USA cars. I think we get a couple of new colors for that market, too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I ordered a 2019 Q.V. back in April. The carbon fiber exterior package is a nice addition. Adds carbon fiber wing mirrors, and the V grill is carbon fiber. It also blacks out the badging on the rear instead of chrome. There is a premium alarm system and the folding rear seats as mentioned. Mine has been scheduled for build at the factory so hopefully I'll have it by the end of October.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Curious. What is a "wing" mirror. Are those side mirror caps? Didn't know it had "wing" mirrors so additional mirrors? Where are they at?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Yes the sideview mirrors. I've just always called them wing mirrors.
Ah. Got it. Thanks. Never heard that before. I have heard bonnet and boot but not sure where wing mirrors originated. Must be an Italian thing. Don't know. Even on my British car we call them side mirrors. Those are CF caps that the carbon package is coming with. I talked to my dealership about the sill lights and puddle lights since I don't want to install them. They are going to do that as soon as they come in. I think the CF caps and Scudetto V Grille largely depends on the color. I like the CF rockers and thinking they need to get the CF diffuser to compliment the rear. Too much black plastic back there. I have seen that on a Euro edition and not sure if that was one of the limited editions released but it is pricey but the biggest bang for the buck. Not enough CF on the sides other than the rocker of the rosso comp that the mirror wouldn't look too funky. I think Trofeo White and possibly Black or the silvers would look the best with those mirrors. I would be careful with blues and reds. But too each his own. less is more.

Me I would not black out the Giulia.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Ah. Got it. Thanks. Never heard that before. I have heard bonnet and boot but not sure where wing mirrors originated. Must be an Italian thing. Don't know. Even on my British car we call them side mirrors. Those are CF caps that the carbon package is coming with. I talked to my dealership about the sill lights and puddle lights since I don't want to install them. They are going to do that as soon as they come in. I think the CF caps and Scudetto V Grille largely depends on the color. I like the CF rockers and thinking they need to get the CF diffuser to compliment the rear. Too much black plastic back there. I have seen that on a Euro edition and not sure if that was one of the limited editions released but it is pricey but the biggest bang for the buck. Not enough CF on the sides other than the rocker of the rosso comp that the mirror wouldn't look too funky. I think Trofeo White and possibly Black or the silvers would look the best with those mirrors. I would be careful with blues and reds. But too each his own. less is more.

Me I would not black out the Giulia.
What British car do you have?

Reactions: lost1750GTV

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
^^she has a German BMW that masquerades as a former British icon Mini ?
It is always going to be a British car. It’s heritage and history is British Sir Alex issagonnis (spelling) sort of Enzo to Ferrari. BMW at least kept them seperate. Mine was sourced out of England so it was still manufactured in the UK. I have 3 Gen now and not sure about the F56 4th Gen.

Although the manual transmissions were using Gertrag mine was AISN auto. (I know, automatic transmission on a MINI should be shot) I still got the speedo in its original form.

My husband drives it to work. He comes home with a note. Please call about your car. That is the third note we got on the MINI. She is optioned pretty nice and not gaudy. Nice Ice Blue toffee interior big wheels and no stripes. Impeccably maintained. Only had that color for a couple years.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That’s fascinating Macgeek - are there any you could share with us? Eg has anything been done to the quality / fit finish of the plastic on the gear selector (I have read that it didn’t / doesn’t sit as flush as the CF optional insert) and has the centre console controller been made to feel more solid?

I have read the mega thread. Quite a marathon.

Also, and this may not be the right thread, but are we looking at 2020MY for a more significant mid-cycle refresh? Does anyone know what it might look like?

The question is, would the changes be so significant that someone like me who has just ordered a 2019 would get buyer’s remorse once the 2020 came out. Unlikely I imagine and obviously life is too short but would be interested to hear anyone’s insights.

It seems we are nearing the end of the road (sorry) for RWD pure internal combustion high performance cars so get them while you can as well I suppose.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
^^she has a German BMW that masquerades as a former British icon Mini ?
It is always going to be a British car. It’s heritage and history is British Sir Alex issagonnis (spelling) sort of Enzo to Ferrari. BMW at least kept them seperate. Mine was sourced out of England so it was still manufactured in the UK. I have 3 Gen now and not sure about the F56 4th Gen.

Although the manual transmissions were using Gertrag mine was AISN auto. (I know, automatic transmission on a MINI should be shot) I still got the speedo in its original form.

My husband drives it to work. He comes home with a note. Please call about your car. That is the third note we got on the MINI. She is optioned pretty nice and not gaudy. Nice Ice Blue toffee interior big wheels and no stripes. Impeccably maintained. Only had that color for a couple years.
Hey I was just pulling your leg lol

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
It is always going to be a British car. It’s heritage and history is British Sir Alex issagonnis (spelling) sort of Enzo to Ferrari. BMW at least kept them seperate. Mine was sourced out of England so it was still manufactured in the UK. I have 3 Gen now and not sure about the F56 4th Gen
Fun fact. Engineering of the entire R55/R56/R57/R58/R59 Mini family was outsourced to Italy. Specifically, to Italdesign.

That’s fascinating Macgeek - are there any you could share with us? Eg has anything been done to the quality / fit finish of the plastic on the gear selector (I have read that it didn’t / doesn’t sit as flush as the CF optional insert) and has the centre console controller been made to feel more solid?
The gear selector has been changed 3 times: in July 2016, in February 2017, and in July 2017 (I do not know the specific changes). As for the piece of plastic on the selector that you mention, the problem is a mold line that's right on the edge of the part, and it feels sharp to the touch. Solving it would either require manual deburring during manufacturing or a differently designed mold.

The rotary controller has never been changed. The only production change related to the controller is that in Dec 2017 they stopped installing controllers with the integrated touchpad (which was never activated), and extended use of the non-touchpad controller to all cars.

Also, and this may not be the right thread, but are we looking at 2020MY for a more significant mid-cycle refresh?
Yes, more significant changes are in development for MY2020. As for whether a MY2019 owner would get buyer's remorse, I guess it depends on what that owner cares about... One thing that's being worked on, for instance, is multitouch on the infotainment screen. It's not a big deal to me, but it may be to others.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts

I guess even my truly British car (as validated by the frequency of breakdowns) was styled by the Germans (Karmann).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts