Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks Alan for posting your uoa from Blackstone.

By coincidence I also had a uoa done on my 2017 Giulia TI. Slightly longer mileage (3100 mi. on mine) than Alan's but with pretty much similar results (link below to the report).

I've been doing uoa's on my cars (mostly BMW's) since the 80's. The results I got on the TI are pretty much what I expected. Two of the metrics, copper and silicon, were high. That's normal in a new engine. The copper comes mostly from the oil leaching the metal elements out of the copper core oil cooler. The silicon in plain speak could be dirt, but it more than likely comes from the silicon chemical leached out of sealants and gasket material in the engine that the oil comes in contact with. Typically, both these metrics drop fairly rapidly as the engine gets more miles on it. I might mention that the lab I used marked these two metrics as abnormal. That's typical, too. To the labs, elemental limits are elemental limits regardless of whether the engine has 200 miles on it or 200,000 mi.

I'll probably do a uoa on the oil at the 10,000 mi service (the oil will have about 6000 mi on it) and at 10,000 mi. intervals after that. Chalk it up to morbid curiosity more than anything else. Doing these uoa's is really not necessary for a street car that's not heavily modified or run in some strange use (like off-roading in the desert).

Click on this link to see my uoa report (hope this works) -

https://www.eoilreports.com/report/...477287&k=d5e62e93-d231-4cd3-8af3-66e3359b98c8

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not sure, but if this is the first change, the silicon is likely from sealers and such, and not a real concern. The copper, well now...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The uoa is from the factory fill. I have no comparison except Alan's uoa which also showed "abnormally" high copper at about a 40% shorter drain interval (any other factory fill uoa's from a 2017 2.0 TI on this forum?). I won't know if the high copper is all from bearings and bushings until the engine starts making grinding noises. In the meantime not much I can do about it. I once heard a Duetto that had apparently hit something and holed the sump. No oil left at all. It was making loud squeeking noises when the owner drove it into the dealership under its own power. The engine valve cover was a golden brown color, like a waffle.

Actually, if I had a lubrication problem (e.g. low oil, low oil pressure) I think it would have also shown up in the other wear metals such as iron and maybe lead.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bergen, welcome to the forum thanks for the post with the oil analysis. Obviously reassuring to see similar results as I got. As you point out the 10k change results will be more interesting because it will provide a comparison whether the metal levels have changed.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Perhaps a run through the 500 Abarth forums for UOA's there would be helpful. With a 1.4 Multi-Air in use there, if copper was also elevated (and maybe just for the first change?) it would be a bit reassuring. Every UOA I did had silicon high on the first from factory, even my Abarth. I'm not sure I have the UOA around, but I'll check for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts