Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently moved to Houston from Dubai. I picked it up today and love it!

'18 QV in Vesuvio Gray with black/red interior and I think every option including the Sparco seats and CCBs.

IMG_2977 by Simon S, on Flickr

IMG_2980 by Simon S, on Flickr

I'm coming from a Porsche 997 Turbo and was considering a 991 Carrera S. I dithered quite bit between the Porsche and the Alfa but in the end could not get the Alfa out of my mind. I put about 100 miles on it today around the Houston area running moving errands.

I love the way it drives. It truly feels more like a 2 door sports car than a sedan and has the same kind of infinite power delivery that I grew to love in the Turbo. On the other hand it sounds waaaay better than the 997s "angry hair dryer" exhaust and the suspension handles bad roads such as there are here much better than the 911 did. I am hoping also that it will be a bit more stealthy but the data on that is still being collected.

A question: Is it just me or is it much louder with more pops, etc. if you have it in manual in dynamic mode than it is when you have it in automatic?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome to Houston! I love the interior on your car, and fully understand your joy of driving it. I have had mine for close to three months and the fun has not even started to wear off. When I arrive at work my face is still sore from grinning so much.

I'm guessing that the louder exhaust is probably due to you shifting later than the automatic would. If you shifted at the exact same RPM as the auto, I would guess it would sound the same.

If I see you on the west beltway, I will wave! My QV is Misano Blue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That car looks great, but then again I'm kind of partial to Vesuvio Grey...... Mine has a black interior. I would have to agree with 545 above. It is louder in Dynamic Manual that Dynamic Automatic, but I think the bulk of the noise difference is the fact you're probably shifting at a more reasonable RPM level. Sometime shift over to manual mode when you're coming up a highway on-ramp, by 45 mph the automatic is already in 5 th gear...... Its much more fun in manual mode .....

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a reasonable explanation. But I think that's a nice illustration about how changeable the nature of the car is depending on how you set it up and use it. It's a cool thing that in my opinion other sports cars/sports sedans don't do quite as well.

·
Registered
641 Posts
That car looks great, but then again I'm kind of partial to Vesuvio Grey...... Mine has a black interior. I would have to agree with 545 above. It is louder in Dynamic Manual that Dynamic Automatic, but I think the bulk of the noise difference is the fact you're probably shifting at a more reasonable RPM level. Sometime shift over to manual mode when you're coming up a highway on-ramp, by 45 mph the automatic is already in 5 th gear...... Its much more fun in manual mode .....
I've perfected allowing the tach to get to just the right RPM in manual and then shift to get that great bark. You can really only do it from 1st to second and second to third. After that you are already waaaaaay beyond the speed limit.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Welcome! Thanks for joining. That a nice moving van you have lol. I had to sell my cars to come here, not so much fun for me, I went with UHAUL :D

Any track intentions?

Enjoy and keep us updated as to your experiences :)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Congrats on the new QV! I haven't owned a P-car yet, but its awesome to hear direct comparisons with the AR winning out when it comes to someone actually putting their money in the decision.
:laugh: Don't get me wrong though, I still love Porsche! I have had two and definitely do not regret it for a moment.

FNM: is there a good track around here? I'm not massively into tracking although I have done it. It is the only place to really see what a car can do.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
:laugh: Don't get me wrong though, I still love Porsche! I have had two and definitely do not regret it for a moment.

FNM: is there a good track around here? I'm not massively into tracking although I have done it. It is the only place to really see what a car can do.
When you talk about Porsche you should clarify...... anything below a GT3 I could agree with you......
As far as tracks COTA (Circuit of the Americas) is nearby you...... make sure you get an instructor to ride with you, especially in R mode......:grin2:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.