Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Base Q4, white
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, sure... NOW!

After I've resigned myself to having to run a front license plate here in Illinois, I read that the state legislature is considering doing away with the requirement.

<grumble>

Fogg

·
Premium Member
2018 QV
336 Posts
In NE we are required to have one or pay for a sticker.
I don’t have either but know if I get pulled over I’ll have to pay the ticket. Typically police have real issues to worry about.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In NE we are required to have one or pay for a sticker.
I don’t have either but know if I get pulled over I’ll have to pay the ticket. Typically police have real issues to worry about.
Yeah I didn't put a front plate on. Willing to take the ticket. What is the sticker? Is that so you don't need a front plate? Also if I have to have a front plate, I'm just using velcro sticky. I can't believe some people drill holes in the front end.

·
Registered
'18 Base Q4, white
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, yeah the police usually have other things to worry about... But today I sat in a restaurant along the main street in a small town and watched the city cop stop and ticket about 5 cars. I've always been a "rule follower" so I put the plate on.

And the holes were already in the front of my car when I bought it. You have to look close to see them and tell the difference between the holes and the high-speed bug splatters.

Fogg

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is fantastic news. I had made peace with having a front plate and got used to my Rho-plate. Agreed, IL popo have better things to worry about.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Well, yeah the police usually have other things to worry about... But today I sat in a restaurant along the main street in a small town and watched the city cop stop and ticket about 5 cars. I've always been a "rule follower" so I put the plate on.

And the holes were already in the front of my car when I bought it. You have to look close to see them and tell the difference between the holes and the high-speed bug splatters.

Fogg
If the vehicle is parked on private property they can't ticket you for this until you drive it on the road.

·
Registered
'18 Base Q4, white
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the vehicle is parked on private property they can't ticket you for this until you drive it on the road.
I should have been clearer in my post. The cop was stopping people for speeding. My point was that even though there were probably real hurtful crimes being committed other places in town, his job today was to fill the city coffers with fine money.

Fogg

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q2
166 Posts
I’ve been pulled over and given a warning for it, but I’m downtown Chicago. I ordered the WS plate and will zip tie that to the lower right grill with the white sox logo and text blacked out.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars, since.....can't remember
I'm in NY, sometimes, I get a parking ticket for no front plate but that is very rare. Getting pulled over for no front plate is even more rare...but I have gotten tickets sometimes....I just pay...cost of having a pretty car...LOL

·
Premium Member
2018 QV
336 Posts
My wife worked about 15 outside of Omaha and drove the ///M3 one day. State cop pulled her over for no front plate.
Her "of course I did. I've TOLD him, more than once, we'd get pulled over for it!"
Him "$215 ticket"

·
Registered
330 Posts
In New York, this is a big issue. Murdering people, not so much.
I don’t what you are talking about. New York ranks as 14th lowest US state for murder—way below the national average. NY also ranks below the national average for violent crime.

If you live or park in NYC then you definitely need a front tag. The meter readers will ticket you while parked for no front tag as well as expired registration. I’ve been driving without a front plate in NY (Suffolk county)for over four years on my Audis and 3 years on my QV without ever having been stopped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
I don’t what you are talking about. New York ranks as 14th lowest US state for murder—way below the national average. NY also ranks below the national average for violent crime.

If you live or park in NYC then you definitely need a front tag. The meter readers will ticket you while parked for no front tag as well as expired registration. I’ve been driving without a front plate in NY (Suffolk county)for over four years on my Audis and 3 years on my QV without ever having been stopped.

numbers are deceiving. It all depends on what criteria you use: actual murders? murder rate %? population of city you are talking about?
2021 Philly had the most #of murders 521 their population is 1.5 million
2021 NYC had 485 our population is 8.5 million
so proportionately NYC is way better than Philly. STILL 485 murders!!!
Lifelong resident, grew up in the West Village when it was sooooo far from fashionable, family businesses have been there forever go in twice a week. Do I feel safe?? always in daylight, usually at night depending on where I am.
Is it as safe as it was pre-pandemic?? NO to say otherwise is disingenuous. Safest it's been was under Bloomberg IMHO.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
6,067 Posts
I run a front plate for 2 reasons:
1: dealer drilled my bumper :(
2: I don't want any extra attention from the police when I'm driving

That said; I wish it wasn't a requirement and I'd remove it and plug the holes in a heart beat

Reactions: AbarthEsq

·
Registered
704 Posts

This boy says otherwise and yes, we have the safest subways in the world

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
8,769 Posts
I’ve been pulled over and given a warning for it, but I’m downtown Chicago. I ordered the WS plate and will zip tie that to the lower right grill with the white sox logo and text blacked out.
I ordered the black and gold vanity plates and zip tied it to the grill too (3 ties, the grill has a pretty wicked curve to it). The plate does not call attention to itself. That won't help any QV owners.

Then I wrote my congress critter in the probably futile effort to get a national ban on mandatory front license plates. They negatively impact fuel economy (a congress person care about) and since other vehicles are not required to have 2 plates, they are clearly unnecessary. Motorcycles are rear plate only. Semi truck-tractors are front plate only.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts